BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Guerrero Negro report & more questions
gypsysoulcindy

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 09:18 PM

Shari - thanks for the laugh about the whale showering the baby! I told my sister-in-law and she thought she'd stick to wipies, but it's good to know that the babies are welcome on board and that the whales like them too! Hahaha
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacside
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
With a 5 year old, do not get the "loft" rooms at Bajacactus, 206/208
I did it with my 7 year old and the ladder will drive you nuts ! :lol:
DO stay in one of the newer rooms if possible; there is a big difference !

Thanks Diver for the VERY important recommendation. My 5 year old would drive me bonkers with that ladder...I can just picture it. He climbs on everything regardless of the fear factor.

I would like to stay in one of the newer rooms IF they would confirm reservations with me. Maybe I should pick up the phone and call...email isn't working.

Someone recommended Baja best as well. So maybe that as a back up.

pacside

Yes, you can call Baja Cactus Motel from anywhere... the phone number is on the web site U.C. page bajacactus.com... about $30-$35 excellent rooms... services...

Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast is very nice and about $60... far southbound end of town.

Across from Baja's Best is the new TURISTA MOTEL... super comfortable beds, real good shower, new... was $25 on 1-2-09 See photos in my trip report. Baja Cactus was full and they sent us to Turista. A restaurant there is under construction. Baja's Best retaurant is excellent, across the street.

I have seen the rooms at Espinoza's (Las Cabaņas) and the Sinahi... and would say only go there if the above three locations are all full.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 09:29 PM

We are heading down on the 19th of Feb. we leave Prescott Az at midnight of the 18th drive to Tecate by 6:00 am drive straight through to GN and out to the lagoon to camp. We have done this a bumch of times. we've even made it in time to catch the last panga out for the day.
One time we got there just in time to go out on the last boat. We had this whale come up to the boat, let us touch it. It would not leave. We could'nt leave either because the captain would not put the boat in gear while the whale was that close. When ever the whale would sink away the Captain would try to slowly back away but the whale would come around the boat and stop us. It had its head out of the water and against the boat. It would drop down and come up on the other side for more. Then it would sink away and we would try to back away but the whale would stop us again. This went on for really long time. It was getting late and we were supposed to have been back already. Finally he tricked the whale into thinking we were going one way and turned and went the other way before it could get in front of us. It was almost dark when we got in.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 09:42 PM

Gorman, yes, that's the "town"...:(...(thanks)-

I was only questioning the "6 hours from San Diego to the border" reference.

Sounds like a great trip, with a break in the border to GN leg.

Have loads of fun and post a follow-up
gypsysoulcindy

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 09:48 PM

Hey BajaNuts,
I think Pacside was referring to my post where I said that we had 6 hours to drive before we even got to the border. We live north of San Luis Obispo, CA, so it's 6 hrs. to SD and then if you take out our stops, it took us 10 hours of driving to GN.

Also, what mexican insurance company do you guys recommend? What a confusing mess it is to try to decipher on a google search.

Thanks!
Cindy
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gypsysoulcindy
Hey BajaNuts,
I think Pacside was referring to my post where I said that we had 6 hours to drive before we even got to the border. We live north of San Luis Obispo, CA, so it's 6 hrs. to SD and then if you take out our stops, it took us 10 hours of driving to GN.

Also, what mexican insurance company do you guys recommend? What a confusing mess it is to try to decipher on a google search.

Thanks!
Cindy

I use DiscoverBaja(.com)

They can issue FM-T's as well, but you must still valitdate them at the border...

Also look at BajaBound at header above.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 09:00 AM

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the board. We're neighbors. Please check your u2u in the upper right hand corner.

Saludos!
P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gypsysoulcindy
Hey BajaNuts,

Thanks!
Cindy

Here's the lowdown on Mexican Insurance Agents I recommend...

1) http://www.BajaBound.com supports Baja Nomad (see their banner ad at the top of the Nomad page). You buy online and print your policy at home... no stopping on your trip. I have used them many times for short trips south when I didn't have an annual policy. The owners are Baja Nomads ('BajaGeoff') and he is very resonsive to any issues. Online quotes available.

2) Discover Baja Travel Club sells insurance to its members... giving discounted rates for annual policies with a company that pays for repairs to be made in the USA instead of Mexico. The owners are also very responsive to their members needs, and are good folks I have known for years.
Online quotes and purcases available... office in San Diego. My annual policy is with them... If you go to Baja for more than 2-3 weeks a year, an annual policy is cheaper than a daily policy for that many days. http://www.discoverbaja.com

3) Lewis & Lewis online, no membership at http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com While I have never used them, so many have reported good things about this company and 'Bedman' did extensive comparisons a few years ago, and found the Lewis and Lewis sold policies offered the most bang for the buck... their agent on the phone was the most informative and helpful, he said.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 11:58 AM

Thing I like best about BajaBound is that after using them once, all the relevant info is stored. So, each time I'm starting on a trip, all I have to do is fill in the dates, and print out the Dec page.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 12:22 PM

You will save mucho tiempo getting visa at border. If lot side office looks closed walk thru and turn right and head to where walkers enter Mexico for main office. Muy facil y rapido.

We also utilize BajaBound for daily trips in the wife's car. Easy to use on line and the owner seems like a nice guy!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.