Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mario's (formerly of Estero Beach) now open in Maneadero
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

thumbup.gif posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:09 AM
Mario's (formerly of Estero Beach) now open in Maneadero

Mario’s Restaurant, formerly of the Estero Beach area south of Ensenada, has completed their relocation to Maneadero and is now open for everyone’s dining pleasure. And a pleasure it is. Four Nomads and 2 of their friends dined there last night…and there wasn’t much in the way of leftovers (a couple of potato skins for the dogs!) If you’re in the area and feeling those hunger pangs – try Mario’s.

Details: Closed Tuesdays.
*Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner; brunch on Saturdays and Sundays coming soon.
*Full bar with an excellent selection of liquors.
*Didn’t ask for a wine menu, but did order a glass of vino tinto – whatever it was, it was quite acceptable.
*Menu is in Spanish and English, all the prices are in pesos (so you won’t get ripped), he’s using a current exchange rate of 15:1.

Location: Just off Mex 1 at the turnoff to La Bufadora. Make that right turn just past the new Calimax and go about ½ block. On your right, painted a nice mustard yellow “fresco” color. Plenty of parking. If you get to the speed bump, you’ve gone about 20 yards too far.

Menu:
Appetizers- queso fundido ($80), shrimp c-cktail ($95), octopus c-cktail ($95), tortilla soup (small $45, large $55) – the tortilla soup is outstanding

Entrees (all come with your choice of soup [the tortilla or the soup of the day]) or salad (they have a most excellent cilantro dressing), and chips & salsa

The usual Mexican fare of enchiladas, chiles rellenos, chicken fajitas, steak ranchero. Prices range from $85 - $100

Chicken a couple different ways $(120-$130)
Fish a couple different ways ($99)
Shrimp several different ways $150-$160)
Beef – skewered, carne asada, filet mignon ($150-$185)

Pasta with shrimp or chicken ($150)

There is also a childrens’ menu with prices ranging from $40-$65)

Specials, of course, are also available. Last night they were BBQ ribs (ordered by three of us) and a boneless chicken breast sautéed with red onions & mushrooms in a balsamic glaze (ordered by the rest of us). The ribs by the way are served as a full rack and there is plenty for two people! They are almost always available even though they aren’t on the menu. Mario gladly will make adjustments to your taste, so do ask! And he speaks English better than most of us.

[Edited on 3-12-2009 by bajabound2005]

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:32 AM

Thanks for the update!

We were frequent diners at his old location, and really look forward to checking out his new place (although a bit more of a drive for us).
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 06:38 PM

You'll like the new place. It's a bit more plain, but the atmosphere is great.

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo

Could you be a little more ambiguous?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:16 PM

Quote:

It's an echo chamber....the place always has been but, that doesn't take away from the nuance of a Shrimp And Cheese Omelet smothered in Nacho Cheese from a #10 can. As I enjoyed that delicasy, I wondered, not only from the non-cheese flavor, why the melted cheese didn't assume it's more solid state through cooling. I wondered till I saw NACHOS on the dinner menu.

The food here is good but, this aspect of it is nonsense when presenting food to some who know better. The owner, Mario, should.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:51 PM

Dennis is being Dennis (you ALL know what that means) and Bajamigo didn't speak clearly (and I said that to him right after he posted that!)

The dining room in the new location is much nicer than Estero; at Estero the bar was large and noisy., the dining room tiny and "uncorfortable". We love the new locale and didn't frequent the other locale for those very reasons.

In the original post when I stated "the usual Mexican fare", I should have added "DON'T ORDER THAT". Go for something off the real menu or one of the specials or something of your own creation.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Dennis is being Dennis (you ALL know what that means)

We do? Tell those who haven't the tenure or insight to know what "that means." I'd like to know as well.

When you're done trying to negate my experience at Mario's, perhaps you could tell all of us where I went wrong with my evaluation. Tell all of us what I experienced. What is it that they served me. Where were you when I had that chithouse breakfast?
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larry
Quote:

Could you be a little more ambiguous?

I could, but I'll decline. For the record, the new place is a bit more plain THAN THE OLD LOCATION, WHICH HAD AN ELABORATE BAR, AMONG OTHER ITEMS OF DECOR. THE NEW ROOM HAS A LOT MORE WALL SPACE THAN THE OLD AND FEW DECORATIONS. NOT THAT THIS IS IMPORTANT, BECAUSE WE WENT THERE FOR THE FOOD, AND IT WAS TERRIFIC. NONETHELESS, the atmosphere is great.

Hope this fills in the blanks. Sorry for the agita this may have caused you big-picture folk.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 11:19 PM

Gotta believe that the new location will mean more business just because of the passing traffic. The old location suffered from the fact that it was off the highway and a major draw to the area, Estero Beach Hotel attracted folks that didn't leave the property. Buena suerte, Mario.
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 10:32 AM

I appreciate the info Bajamigo/Bajabound! We're hoping Mario's new location will increase his list of loyal customers (of which there are many). You won't find a nicer, harder working guy anywhere.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 06:48 AM
Mario's last night!

A couple of Nomad friends were in town for a few days and LOVE Mario's so last night we dinned at Mario's new location in Maneadero. Bajablonde had the coconut shrimp (which has to be requested as it's not on the menu) and Bajaguy & I both had the fish with crab sauce. Excellent!

Here's a shot of Bajablonde & Bajaguy munching down!

P3270003.JPG - 36kB

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 06:49 AM

And a close up of Bajablonde with the coconut shrimp.

P3270009.JPG - 31kB

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 06:51 AM

Here's what the fish with crab sauce looked like.

P3270013.JPG - 31kB

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 06:57 AM
Wedding Anniversary!

What was especially nice, that before we left, several other parties had arrived, all of them friends/neighbors from the Punta Banda area! So it looks like Mario's is off to a great start!
Noteably, friends Hugh & Peggy Sintec dropped in to celebrate their 49TH Wedding Anniversary! Congratulations you two!!

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 06:58 AM
oops..............

Here's the happy couple's picture.

P3270014.JPG - 25kB

Just do it!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 07:35 AM

:D Congrats Hugh and Peggy! Happy 49th!

Fondly,
Paulina y Dern y Cody

(I didn't know they read the Nomad board.)

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.