Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio --- quick trip
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 04:30 PM
San Ignacio --- quick trip

This was our second quick trip to San Ignacio this year---wanted to share a couple of things.

If you want a really cheap place to stay and don't mind basic, stay at the Hotel Posada. We have been staying there most of our visits for many years. ---Great family and very quiet.

When you enter town, follow the road past the plaza in front of the church, and it is on the right hand side---another advantage, it is a quick walk to the plaza.

Price 250 pesos

And for those of you who remember Uncle Jerry from Campo Rene, he is back in San Ignacio and a few months ago, he opened a taco stand. Good inexpensive place to eat.

And he will tell you anything you want to know about San Ignacio including the less expensive ways to see the whales, and that his nephew charges too much for his food at his place across the plaza. (We like the food, however, at his nephews place and it is a pleasant place to eat. )

And, can never visit San Ignacio without taking a few more pix of the mission.

San Ignacio is one of our favorite places in Baja---it is so much like the small towns on the mainland.

Diane

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 05:00 PM

Thanks for the tip, Diane. Seems to me that I have always hung a left at the square, so I never even saw the place. But I do have to fess that it doesn't look like a place I'd bring future in-laws.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 05:15 PM

Really good report but your photos are really really good. Love how you did the mission.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 05:18 PM
did you make it out to the laguna to see whales?

if so, how were they?

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 05:40 PM

Hotel La Posada-- we call it No Dog Motel

We had an exasperating but funny adventure there a few years ago with our host, an old gentleman who appeared to be more than a bit confused.

In giving us change for our 500 pesos we received 1000. Gave it back to him, of course, but he didn't want to take it.

The second night he took one look at our dogs (who were with us the night before) and flipped out, "No Dogs! No Dogs! No Dogs!" in an in-your-face kinda way. We left, of course. Problem was the rest of our family were already in their rooms and it was dark and everybody was tired after a day with the whales.

I thought, "This poor old man doesn't remember us from the night before, I'm tired so I'm gonna try something kinda off the wall." I put on a coat and hat and walked back to the hotel and knocked on the owner's door thinking, "Oh, god, what am I doing?" and "well, he's only gonna yell at me again if this doesn't work, so here goes."

Yes, the ruse worked. The old gentleman did not recognize me from 5 minutes before. I rented a room for the night, told him I didn't have a car, and when he retreated into his house for the night I gave a whistle and my family quietly walked up and in. We slept well that night. The dogs slept on their beds on the floor.

In the morning we got up, emerged from our room and said hello to the old gentleman, thanked him for a great night and came home.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2009 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Hotel La Posada-- we call it No Dog Motel

We had an exasperating but funny adventure there a few years ago with our host, an old gentleman who appeared to be more than a bit confused.

In giving us change for our 500 pesos we received 1000. Gave it back to him, of course, but he didn't want to take it.

The second night he took one look at our dogs (who were with us the night before) and flipped out, "No Dogs! No Dogs! No Dogs!" in an in-your-face kinda way. We left, of course. Problem was the rest of our family were already in their rooms and it was dark and everybody was tired after a day with the whales.

I thought, "This poor old man doesn't remember us from the night before, I'm tired so I'm gonna try something kinda off the wall." I put on a coat and hat and walked back to the hotel and knocked on the owner's door thinking, "Oh, god, what am I doing?" and "well, he's only gonna yell at me again if this doesn't work, so here goes."

Yes, the ruse worked. The old gentleman did not recognize me from 5 minutes before. I rented a room for the night, told him I didn't have a car, and when he retreated into his house for the night I gave a whistle and my family quietly walked up and in. We slept well that night. The dogs slept on their beds on the floor.

In the morning we got up, emerged from our room and said hello to the old gentleman, thanked him for a great night and came home.

It is sad he is losing it, many, many years ago, he was the first one to rent to us with our dog, and when his wife was still alive, they had a dog that lived in the house. And, the gardens were wonderful.

The one son, Antonio really runs the place now, but he also teaches school so is not always there. However, he can be reached through the people at his home across the street or through the store across the stee. We always wait and deal with him---our TWO dogs are no problem with him.

We do, however, always make sure that when we leave in the mornings, I walk over to tell the father good-bye and tell him where we left the key.

Russ, I am really glad you like the mission photos---wanted to do something a little different.

Here is one I took several trips ago of the entrance to town that I like.

It is a great town and on this last trip we by chance met the mother of a very good friend of ours here in Bahia Asuncion. She lives very near the Posada.

Diane

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2009 at 09:48 PM

Great mission photos!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2009 at 09:49 PM

Oh, we stayed at the Posada Motel in 1985... loved it! Baja style from the older days...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 05:35 PM

Nice mission to photograph. :-)

Diane

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 05:38 PM

I like the way you got up next to it... makes it look as huge as it really is!

cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 08:59 PM

we'll check out hotel posada tomorrow - with our dog. :) thanks
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjinca
we'll check out hotel posada tomorrow - with our dog. :) thanks

Be sure to wait and talk with Antonio. Also, if you stay there, in the shower the hot water is the handle on the right and it takes a very long time to reach the shower--

Have fun and enjoy that beautiful place

Diane

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 08:31 AM

La Posada is a nice hotel Diane. Another one I think you and John might enjoy is Casa Leree. It is a 100 year old building with a beautiful courtyard, just a block from the plaza, and has been a hotel for most of that time. Juanita has binders full of stories and photos she's collected from the local people, and being there is like stepping into a different, magical world. She also has maps of the best walks around town, and a small shop where she sells Baja books and local crafts-- a very interesting place!

http://www.murrietawebdesign.com/test/leree/index.html
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
La Posada is a nice hotel Diane. Another one I think you and John might enjoy is Casa Leree. It is a 100 year old building with a beautiful courtyard, just a block from the plaza, and has been a hotel for most of that time. Juanita has binders full of stories and photos she's collected from the local people, and being there is like stepping into a different, magical world. She also has maps of the best walks around town, and a small shop where she sells Baja books and local crafts-- a very interesting place!

http://www.murrietawebdesign.com/test/leree/index.html

We finally after all these years met Juanita--met her walking our dogs in the plaza and she had her two dogs.

We didn't this time, but next time we will finally visit her place---should have done it years ago. However, with our two dogs we probably wouldn't stay there---our little one is not crazy about other dogs, and Juanita's new little terrier seems to have a similar disposition. We laughed when we were talking as the two little dogs had a major stare down.

Thanks for the website, Paula. And we will check it out!

Oh, when I mentioned beautiful place in my last post, I was referring to San Ignacio but when I reread it, it sounded like I was referring to the hote. Hotel Posada we like a lot, we like the family, the price, the location, but it is not "beautiful". :lol: Casa Leree would qualify for that designation.

Diane

[Edited on 4-4-2009 by jdtrotter]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.