Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rancho Viejo - La Paz
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 08:42 PM
Rancho Viejo - La Paz

This has been one of our favorite places in La Paz. The arrachera is the best we've found in town. Don't know why I ordered the chilaquillas for lunch last week, but I was sorry I did. The sauce was not very good. Tasted and looked like red chili sauce straight from a can.

The main reason I am posting this is their new policy of adding a tip to the bill. The tip is 15% of the food portion of the bill. The waiter told us that this was a tip for the cooks. He said that this tip was not for him.

I think the world is run by C- students.
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 09:42 PM

This has also been one of my favorite places in La Paz. I have taken many people there over the last 10 years. I have always tipped well but I do not like the idea of the tip being added for me. I will be there in two weeks and will address this before we sit down to eat. May have to go to other places that have been written about on this site!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 09:52 PM

Steve,
Maybe the owner was in Europe, where adding 15% tip to a bill is customary. Of course this doesn't mean they, after you get the bill, they expect a 20% minimal gratuity.:no: And , sorry to say, after a while you get used to this.
Was at Rancho Viejo last week, and their arrachero is indeed still the best in La Paz. You just have to learn how to order. Get the kilo for larger groups and the 1/2 kilo for 2 or 3 people. It comes with the sauce and condiments, plus tortillas and you will not be dissappointed, guaranteed.
The help is not very good at suggesting favorites, and I've known of several folks who were very dissappointed.
They do have an extended menu, but their arrachera is were most people go for.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7

Was this the original restaurant on Marquez de Leon (now a "Hacienda", apparently :rolleyes: ) or the little annex on the Malecon near 16 de Septiembre? I ask because I had chilaquiles at the latter that were pretty good, and I'm sorta fussy about them.

Kate

The original Rancho Viejo with the new addition. (Maybe they're trying to pay for it.) I've ordered the chilaquiles for breakfast a couple of times and they were pretty good. Don't know why they would make them differently for lunch, but they were pretty poor this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by fixtrauma

I have always tipped well but I do not like the idea of the tip being added for me.

I think it's a bad idea that will cost them customers. I expect it to go away before too long.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG

I think it's a bad idea that will cost them customers. I expect it to go away before too long.

No it wont, that place serves about ther worst Tacos in La Paz, and its always full of locals and tourists. They wouldnt last a month in Tijuana with that nasty quality.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
nasty quality.

Quote:
facts, not just cheap talk.

C'mon back over here, JESSE........We arn't done.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 10:57 PM

Maybe the problem is as simple as the fact that chilaquiles are a breakfast item. Lunch is something altogether different.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
nasty quality.

Quote:
facts, not just cheap talk.

C'mon back over here, JESSE........We arn't done.

Check the proper thread Dennis, i already made my move;D

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Maybe the problem is as simple as the fact that chilaquiles are a breakfast item. Lunch is something altogether different.

Who says? Chilaquiles is one of the items on the lunch menu they have painted on their wall.

Quote:

No it wont, that place serves about ther worst Tacos in La Paz, and its always full of locals and tourists. They wouldnt last a month in Tijuana with that nasty quality.

If you're talking about the arrachera tacos, that's the first time I've heard anyone complain about them. We usually do like vandenberg and order a 1/2 or full kilo and make our own tacos.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

Maybe the owner was in Europe, where adding 15% tip to a bill is customary. Of course this doesn't mean they, after you get the bill, they expect a 20% minimal gratuity.

The waiter was clear that the tip was for the cooks. Normally we tip 15% so in this case the waiter would only get 15% on the drinks, nothing on food. I'm not ready to go to a 20%-30% tip on ordinary service.

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 07:36 AM

A few months ago the ladies luncheon was held at Rancho Viejo and the waiter was running around all upset because everyone was stiffing him. We figured the tip was added because we were a large crowd (over 35 women). If you go there, it appears on your bill on the top line as "servicios". Mala forma.

•Life is just one damned thing after another
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 09:16 AM

they have adequate food, but there are many better and cheaper places in La Paz without propina added. it's an old standby. get off the beaten tourist path and experience something different than tired old standards.
won't begin to suggest all the decent alternative restaurants, too many to count, but if you are adventurous and open to street food, try Taco's Samuel...on the side street by Elecktra...5 peso tacos. make a meal of two of three while sitting on rickety stools or a plastic chair on the sidewalk. two or three tacos, and a refresco costs less than you'd tip at Rancho Viejo!

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 09:42 AM

Excellent advice Roberta.
However, most tourist are reluctant to take a chance on roadside stands, and with good reason. Had a good friend/customer of mine, during a 80's fishing trip, come down with hepatitis, which almost did him in.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.