Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip report Punta Chivato
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 4-16-2009 at 03:33 PM
Trip report Punta Chivato

Crossed the boarder on April 2nd at about 1 pm after picking up our friends from Michingan whose plane was 2 hours late. Crossed the boarder and was surprised to see the American CBP before the boarder stopping cars going into Mexico and asking some questions. I told him I was from San Diego and we were headed south for vacation, he asked us why we would go to Mexico and "good luck, be careful"

Got our Visa's and were on the toll road no problem. Jardenes was sold out so we stayed at the Desert Inn in SQ. First time we have not stayed at Jardenes in probaly 10 trips since they have opened we love that place. I think we were one of only 3 parties at the Dessert Inn and in the restaurant it was only us. They let us bring our dogs inside so that was a plus for them.

At about 12 some people showed up on the bottom floor below us and started driving their quads on the sand dunes in front of the rooms :fire: That was annoying but then they started blowing stuff up with fireworks and about every third one would set off the alarm of their truck that they were standing 10 feet from:fire::fire: Not sure why they need to set the alarm??? This went on for about 30 minutes.

Got up early and headed south, not a ton of traffic on the road so driving was nice and easy in the 2 suburbans. We Stopped at the place accross from the Dessert Inn in Catavina and had a nice breakfast then back on the road. Stopped for a couple of roadside potty breaks and on one of them my 8 year old son found a very cool set of cow horns out in the Desert.

We got gas at the New Pemex in SQ where you turn in for the the Desert Inn and at the new Pemex south of Vizcianno. I had not previously read the posts about the Vizcianno station and the pumps but I watch closely at all stops and the Suburbans seemed to take the approiate amount of gas.

We were waved through all the check points except for the one at San Ignacio where we were checked by the military but not the local police. The police were set up and running VIN numbers but when they got to us they waived us through. That stop was probably 10 minutes.

Got to the house at Punta Chivato at about 4 that afternoon and enjoyed 5 great days in the sun. The weather was great and we had dolphin and jumpping Rays in front of the house 3 of the days. We would run down and jump in the zodiac with the kids and play with the dolphins as long as they would stay with the boat. We got some great video of the kids touching the dolphin as they would come up to surf the bow wake.

Couple of notes for those heading down there right now. First there are a lot of sting rays in the watter and very shallow, like 6 inches. Spring time is breading season and they were think. My eleven year old was going in the water on the first day. My wife told her to put her water shoes on but since all kids know better then their parents she didn't, and promptly got hit by a sting ray in the first minute in about knee high water. She has been going down since she was 3 months old and this is the first time she has gotten hit in 11 years. The sticker must have hit a vein because blood was streamming out of the cut like a hose. When I got to her it looked like a murder had taken place on the deck. We got the hot water boiling and gave her benadryl and Motrin, and got the bleeding stopped and then just kept filling up the bucket with hot water. It was a bleeder I had to put her feet above her head with about 5 minutes of steady pressure from my thumb. The hot water (as hot as they can stand it) helps to break down the toxin's from the sting. After a couple hours she was feeling much better and she got back in the water to go snorkeling the next day.

Second the resort group that bought the land where campping beach is have closed it to overnight campping. You can still hang out during the day but overnight is a no no. They have even set up a guard shack on the road before you get to the air strip. So if you are planning a campping trip you may want to have a back up plan.

Third, I saw more police, federal and municipal this trip then in any trip over the last 20 years. They are certainly trying to make themselves seen and I am fine with that.

Time to go home came way too soon but all good things must come to an end travel north was fine the check point north of Jesus Maria was very through, I think this is usually the longest wait of every trip. Stopped at Jardenes and had a great diner and man are their margaritta's good and strong I had 2 and I was certainly feeling it. Lot's of traffic heading south for Semana Santa but the drive was uneventful.

The boarder crossing at San Ysidiro was beyond awful 2 minutes over 3 hours at noon on a Thursday. I will cross at Otay or even Tecate next time.

Already can't wait to get back
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-16-2009 at 04:08 PM

Thanks for the report. Another camping option closes in Mexico.

Interesting that the new checkpoint in SI seems to have gotten lazy already. No fingerprinting??

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2009 at 04:38 PM

Sounds like a great time. Just have to wonder why the Desert Inn in San Quintin would be so down, considering their great location. Also, since you didn't identify exactly where you ate across from the Desert Inn at Catavina, I'm curious. The Desert Inn has a fairly good restaurant. the only real option around is in the campground.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2009 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29

Couple of notes for those heading down there right now. First there are a lot of sting rays in the watter and very shallow, like 6 inches. Spring time is breading season and they were think. My eleven year old was going in the water on the first day. My wife told her to put her water shoes on but since all kids know better then their parents she didn't, and promptly got hit by a sting ray in the first minute in about knee high water. She has been going down since she was 3 months old and this is the first time she has gotten hit in 11 years. The sticker must have hit a vein because blood was streamming out of the cut like a hose. When I got to her it looked like a murder had taken place on the deck. We got the hot water boiling and gave her benadryl and Motrin, and got the bleeding stopped and then just kept filling up the bucket with hot water. It was a bleeder I had to put her feet above her head with about 5 minutes of steady pressure from my thumb. The hot water (as hot as they can stand it) helps to break down the toxin's from the sting. After a couple hours she was feeling much better and she got back in the water to go snorkeling the next day.

She recovered quickly, and you? Parents are usually slower to recover. :yes:

Nice report

Diane

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 06:26 AM

where did you stay at Chivato? rental house?
did you meet Russ? he lives there.
that's a great place except for the road in.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 06:37 AM

Actually, I'm thinking that with the camping beach closed, staying on the hook at night and day-using the beach should be better than ever.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
where did you stay at Chivato? rental house?
did you meet Russ? he lives there.
that's a great place except for the road in.

You're right Capt that road is the worst in Baja. I wouldn't attempt it.:smug::rolleyes::smug:

Ken
mooose29
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 09:11 AM

Diane she did recover quickly and I wished a thousand times those couple of hours that I could have switched places with her. The first 10 minutes until we could get the water going were the worst. She just kept saying that "it was the worst pain she had ever felt" And this comming from a very tough girl that has broken bones before. Have had the displeasure of being "stung" before I could emphasise with her. However I could not have been more proud of the way she handled herself. She didn't freak out at the site of all the blood, and she remained calm and was back on her feet as soon as possible.

Bajahowodd, the place we ate at I believe say hotdogs on the outside it has a long wodden porch and has been a farorite of our for a few trips now. My kids love the hotcakes and the people are very nice.

Capt. Mike we have a place down there so that's were we stayed. I am not sure I know Russ, my parents probably do.
mooose29
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 09:33 AM

One more thing I forgot to post. I am sure you all have your fishing licenses when down in Baja but if you don't and you are going to be fishing I would get it. We were told by a couple of people living down at Punta Chivato that the Marines are stopping fishing boats and checking for licenses. Those that have them it is no problem those that don't could risk getting all of their stuff impounded including the boat. Sure enough on the first morning we were there we saw the patrol boat 100 yards off shore patrolling the area.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 11:02 AM

Good report, moose........
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 01:18 PM

well that's sweet - i love the place and have friends with homes there too - Harry, George , Jim and Gene to name a few.

where do you drive from? lots of pilots with casitas there.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.