BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: VINTAGE OFF ROAD VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES ONLY!
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 10:08 AM
VINTAGE OFF ROAD VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES ONLY!

This will be happening later this year...

From www.norra.com:

VINTAGE OFF ROAD VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES ONLY! (1955-1975)

The National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) is proud to present the 2009 NORRA Revival of the 1967 Mexican 1000 Rally.This event, "Honoring the Past, Forging the Future", will be held September 16-20, 2009 and will start at Ensenada, Mx, overnight at Bay of LA, overnight at Loreto, and end at La Paz, Mx .

The 2009 Revival of the 1967 Mexican 1000 Rally is a Stage Rally with Vintage and Alternative Fuel Vehicle Classes. The liaison and special stage course (paved and technical) will be specifically selected to accommodate vintage race vehicles from the 1950-1970's era. We want you to have fun but also keep your vehicles and bodies intact while testing your driving ability.

Please review the rules and format of the rally below. Submit your entry form and fee directly through the website,www.norra.com. Or Mail to: NORRA, 11650 Darling Rd., Agua Dulce, CA 91390. Entries accepted after September 1st are subject to an additional $250.00 Late Processing Fee. No Driver Packets will be mailed after September 1st.

OK. Now Let's Have Fun!

RALLY SCHEDULE AND RULES OF THE (OFF)-ROAD:
Contingency & Registration - Sept 16, 2009
Rally - Sept 17, 18, 19, 2009
Award Ceremony/Party in LaPaz - Sept 20, 2009

-Three-day stage rally on a secret route.
-There will NO pre-running.
-Competitors will receive their route book, GPS information, and starting positions the night before the event at the driver's meeting.
-On the morning of the start of each day's stage, NORRA staff will send out a pre-runner to clear the course.
-The first vehicles off the line will be the motorcycles at 6am sharp. All vehicles need to be ready to race and in line 15 minutes before their starting time.
-After the first motorcycle is sent off, there will be 30-second intervals before the second vehicle is sent on the course, and so on.
-After the last motorcycle is on the course, the other vehicle categories will start; Cat1, Cat 2, Cat 3, and so on...
Category 11, the Alternative Fuel Vehicles, will finish out the vehicle categories.
-After the final vehicles are on course, NORRA Officials will send a sweep vehicle to clear the course and assist with any issues.
-During the event, vehicles will be traveling liaison stages to special stage sections. Liaison stages are not competition stages, so speed limits will apply.
-All vehicles will be equipped with a black box to monitor traveling speeds as well as location on route at all times. Vehicles not obeying local speed limits will be disqualified from the event.
-The liaison stages will have a time limit to reach the next special stage, giving ample time to arrive at the stage start. By following the speed limits and staying on route, teams will have no problem getting to the next stage with time to prep for that special stage.
-Deviations from the liaison route are not allowed. Penalties and possible disqualification may apply during liaison stages by arriving too early showing that a vehicle has not obeyed local speed limits or deviated from the liaison route (as confirmed by black box GPS positioning).
-Upon arrival at special stages, vehicles will be lined up and started in order of arrival at the stage start, then released at 30-second intervals. This format will continue at all special stages through to the final stage of the day.
-Special stages will be timed individually and totaled throughout the entire event.
-Penalties will be added at the stage they were incurred.
-At the end of the day's stages when vehicles cross the final stage finish, they will be directed to a compound area where they will remain until the following day's start.
-The compound area will be fenced off and guarded during the entire time the event is in a bivouac.
-No one will be allowed into the compound area without proper credentials. The idea behind the compounding of the vehicles is to provide a safe and secure place to work on team vehicles and to build camaraderie between teams, plus a location that spectators can view the vehicles and their teams at work.
-Teams will be allowed to work on their vehicles through the night if need be. Teams and vehicles must be ready to race 15 minutes prior to their official start time.
-Australian start rules may apply, which means that the last vehicle in on the final stage of the previous day will be the first vehicle out the following morning. At the discretion of the NORRA OFFICIALS, the starting rules may change. The starting format will be announced each night at the driver's meeting, when the route books and GPS information for the following day's competition are issued.
-Everybody needs to be ready to rally at day's start.
-We will follow this format to the end of the final stage and into La Paz, where the final stage will take us into town for the official finish.
-After crossing the Finish Line, the vehicles will go back into the compound area until the final vehicle has finished the event.
-The compound area will remain open and available for teams to keep their vehicles secure after the end of the event for 5 days. At $20.00 per day charge. This will allow teams that want to see the sights of Baja do so knowing that their vehicles and trailers will be safe.

The Mexican 1000 Rally is designed to be a Fun Event, Honoring the past, and those that raced for the love of racing, and Forging the Future of Alternative Fuel Racing. We are very excited at NORRA to present to you an opportunity to take part in this special event and we look forward to seeing you in Mexico. Let's Party in La Paz!

Ken Cameron
Rally Master/Chief Technical Officer
NORRA Since 1967, "Honoring the past, Forging the Future"
http://www.norra.com/

Entry Fee $875

ENTRY FORM AND OTHER INFO AT http://www.norra.com/=

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 08:58 AM

Kris, is this for real? Who has taken over from Ed Pearlman and do they really have a permit from Mexico (both Baja states) to run this?

Is Parnelli going to run the Big Oly Bronco?

Thanks!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 09:22 AM

$875.00 U.S.?????:o

I would go, but that is big bucks!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 09:26 AM

This year's Vegas to Reno, 1000 mile, 3 day off road race is over $2,000 to be in.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 09:59 AM

David,
I am just getting to the information, and I know that NORRA never really closed down.. So I think the interest is there for such an event..
The website looks legit, and we all know that "The Baja" could use the money generated from such an event.
I think more will come out around the 500, but I am also concerned about the temps/ storm patterns in BCS at this time of theyear..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 05:43 PM

Thanks Kris... please keep us posted!

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 06:33 PM

David..

Looks like "Big Oly" is ready to go

Ben Franklin (1759)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This year's Vegas to Reno, 1000 mile, 3 day off road race is over $2,000 to be in.

That's even bigger bucks! I don't know of too many Nomads that would have that kind of cash lying around. Not the least you and I David.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 06:47 PM

Here are some pictures that I took at the start line in about 1978. If memory serves, I think this was run in June.

I am not sure of the exact date these pictures were taken because I scanned them in about 5 or 6 years ago. I had taken most of the start line so these are just some of the better ones.

What I do know was that I was driving a 1976 Dodge van that year. It made the trip several times, with the last trip being in 2001.

Mexzs.jpg - 36kB
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 06:49 PM

Here is the second one.

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by wiltonh]

Mexzt.jpg - 46kB
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 06:51 PM

Here is the thrid one.

Mexzu.jpg - 26kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

That's even bigger bucks! I don't know of too many Nomads that would have that kind of cash lying around. Not the least you and I David.

Well those are professional off road races... not for our street legal trucks to use! See www.score-international.com or 'Best In The Desert's web site for more details.

smlslikfish
Junior Nomad

Mood: La Costilla Bound

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 08:57 PM

bump... anybody know anymore about this or where the likely course will be?
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 09:37 PM

Thats awesome!

READY SET.....................
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:24 AM

I did not see anuything about a race radio frequency similar to weatherman that SCORE uses. I've emailed them for that info but if anyone hears about it post it here. I was at Coco's this past week and he was asking about it. If it's posted and anyone sees Coco let him know. He wants to monitor the race.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:46 AM

On the NORRA web site is a great video narrated by Parnelli Jones about his participation in the Mexican/ Baja 1000 and the roots of off road racing: http://www.norra.com/heroes_video.php

When I was 16, I took this photo of Parnelli in the Big Oly Bronco, coming back into Ensenada after a short pre-run the day before the 1973 Baja 1000 run. The 1000, just this once, was run by Mexico's BSC (Baja Sports Committee)... "for the children" they said... the money vanished and even the racers didn't get paid their winnings at the end of the race.

Two years later, I was at Valle de Trinidad for the Baja 1000 (SCORE's first) and Parnelli in his new Chevy Blazer funny car pitted there:

[Edited on 7-11-2009 by David K]

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 07:37 AM

Where does this race actually start? The NORRA website seems to say both Ensenada and Mexicali. Anyone know which is correct?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Where does this race actually start? The NORRA website seems to say both Ensenada and Mexicali. Anyone know which is correct?

The link takes you to the page that says this: "1000 miles from Mexicali to La Paz" ... and the info page says this: "Mexicali (Start) - Bay of LA (overnight) - Loreto (overnight) - LaPaz (Finish)"

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 09:19 AM

Here is the reply to my email about the radio frequency.

Hi Tom,

Yes, Once the specific freqs/channels are determined, a comms plan will be published for the event.

R/
Alex Plewniak
Operations/Logistics
aplewniak@norra.com
www.norra.com
619-572-7092
smlslikfish
Junior Nomad

Mood: La Costilla Bound

[*] posted on 7-13-2009 at 10:26 AM

bump

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.