BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: If you had the choice...
Awatson

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 08:04 AM
If you had the choice...

I'm flying into Loreto sometime in June for a week. I'm not sure if we're gonna stay around there or head to La Paz. If you had the choice, where would you prefer to go to grab a panga for a couple days, and where would the best action at that time?

Oh, I'm wide open on actual dates, should I plan around the dark moon phases? Last time I was in Loreto the panga driver said the fishing sucked because it had been a full moon and the fish were more actively feeding at night. What are the general opinions on this?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 08:19 AM

I have always felt that was the case,fresh or salt a full moon does harm,but you no what a lot of fun is to be had fishing on a full moon on the beach with top waters.

Nite time is a great time to fish the beachs and just that much better on a full moon.
Rob
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 08:41 AM

I kind of concur with the full-moon-fish-feeding-all-night theory, especially pelagics.

And yet, the day b4 a full moon, yesterday, was the best dorado fishing in quite some time over here. They did seem to bite better inside the fog banks, too.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 10:13 AM

In all the years I have been going to Baja I never saw fog:?: but then most runs were in the summer:?:
Rob
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 12:09 PM

Moon phases affect the movement of water due to the sizes of tides. If you look back you will find a post where pescador talks about days at San Marcos where the fishing for yellowtail will be good and days not so good. Those were undoubtedly compiled by moon phases, which affects the movement of water currents around rocks, which in turn affects the feeding habits of yellowtail.

Same goes for beach fishing as the bigger tides will cause more fish to come up on to the beach: corbina, spotfins, etc.

Pelagic fish, like dorado and tuna, should be little affected by moon phases.

So I would only worry about moon phases if you are targeting fish species that are affected by them.

As far as choices of places to go. I would hook up with a panguero in La Paz who will launch in the Los Muertos area because otherwise it will be a long boat ride to the good water. There are such outfitters in town.

Tight lines.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 12:51 PM

Loreto...more relaxed and good fishing

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 01:35 PM

Awatson, Enjoy Loreto, don't waste your time and money fishing. Visit Mulege. See the missions. Stop at the little cantinas along the way.:bounce:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 01:41 PM

Awatson,

Are you committed to go to Loreto? If so, monitor Mexfish online and follow their reports up until you leave. Then decide if La Paz is worthy to travel down and fish. If you have wheels as Cypress suggests travel up to Mulege and take in the sights along the way. San Javier mission just west of Loreto would be my first choice for a day tour. Have a great time!

Ken
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 03:26 PM

Fish at both places and then report back in so I will know where to go fishing.;D

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 05:51 PM

Pam at Baja Big Fish Company is very hard to beat and I would be willing to make a wager that day in and day out, Loreto outfishes either La Paz or Mulege....
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 06:22 PM

Depends a lot on what you want to catch. If you want to troll plugs around and catch a dorado or two, moon phase or tide movement has very little effect. In fact I normally prefer to chase dorado and billfish when there is less movement so the time just before and a couple of days after the full moon is very good.
If you are going for yellowtail or reef fish then tide movement is of the utmost importance.
The idea of watching the reports on mexfish.com, bloodydecks, and allcoast. I have seen people set themselves up for big dissappointments when they decide they are going to try to catch a dorado and the area they have chosen to fish in does not have anything going on when they want to fish. Last fall was a perfect example of that when the yellowtail and tuna were running exceptionally well on the pacific side around Abreojos, La Bocana, and Asuncion. You would have been much ahead of the game to have gone to the Pacific side for tuna and yellowtail instead of fishing the Sea of Cortez side for fish that were very slow to show up.
Right now, Hook is reporting good fishing for Dorado which is a pretty normal thing for the waters on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez to heat up sooner which brings the baitfish, and consequently the fish that feed on those baitfish.
Here is a tide chart for La Paz for June and if you decide to go after reef dwelling fish, you want to go to the more major swings in the amount of tide.
http://oceanografia.cicese.mx/predmar/mensual/lpz/lpz0906.pd...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
Pam at Baja Big Fish Company is very hard to beat and I would be willing to make a wager that day in and day out, Loreto outfishes either La Paz or Mulege....

Mulege maybe but La Paz no way.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 06:47 AM

Mulege is it! No crowds, no pressure and good ole Baja! Fishing for Dodo's is pretty good in June!
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 10:41 AM

Have had great days in all three places.....anyone a good choice:lol:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 02:37 PM

The best thing is to stay flexible enough to be able to go to any of these places at the TIME OF DEPARTURE. If you commit now you are playing the odds. If you make your decision the week before departure you just follow the latest fish report. Having wheels is a very good thing.
Awatson

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated all around. I have absolute freedom to do whatever I want, except I know I'm flying into Loreto. I can wing it, and play things by ear after arrival.

How difficult is it to rent a car? I've been to Mexico 100's of times (ok, at least more than 100)....but I almost always drive. Never even considered a rental car. Anyone know anything about that?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 07:06 PM

Awatson, As easy as in the US.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.