BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja's East Cape marlin are plentiful but stubborn, and also finicky
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 11:25 PM
Baja's East Cape marlin are plentiful but stubborn, and also finicky

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/05/bajas-east-...

May 11, 2009

Every now and then, an angler will hook into a fish that seems possessed. My brother Scott can attest to this: The striped marlin he baited, during a trip last week to Baja California Sur's East Cape region, rendered his left arm useless during a fight that lasted more than an hour.

In fact, he passed the marlin off to me and I tried for 20 minutes to get the beast to leader, then passed the rod to another angler in our group, whose relentless teasing ceased when he, too, failed to gain headway.

When a fourth angler finally got the striper to leader -- to our credit, the gear on our boat was not up for the task -- our deckhand estimated its weight at 210 pounds, and said that for some reason the marlin have been especially strong this early season.

They're also incredibly abundant; on one day alone we spotted more than 30 leaping marlin. But they're also line-shy, perhaps because there's so much natural prey in the southern Sea of Cortez.

So a typical offshore agenda is to try to bait sunning or leaping marlin, while searching for floating objects, which attract dorado, or mahi-mahi. If you're first to discover a floating object, chances are you'll have discovered a dorado bonanza.

Our pot of gold, two days after we caught and released the stubborn marlin, was a remote shark buoy, 20 miles beyond Hotel Palmas de Cortez. I got two small dorado. Don Ashley, an angler on our boat, caught one of similar size, while my brother landed the alpha bull: a specimen weighing at least 35 pounds (pictured below).

But the bite shut down quickly and our renewed search led us to a floating sea lion carcass, and at least 12 other boats. Dorado, with their neon blue-and-golden hues, darted and leaped about. But so much boat pressure made them line-shy. We could not pluck a single fish from this area so we headed back to shore with our four meager fish, which became the night's dinner.

Moral of this story: Don't believe any reports that claim fishing is wide open; that's rarely the case. Even though the East Cape boasts some of the finest sportfishing opportunities in the world, you generally have to work hard for your fish. This is especially true now, as the prime season gets underway. Good luck to anyone planning a visit.

-- Pete Thomas

090511marlin.jpg - 29kB

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 11:26 PM

090511dorado.jpg - 29kB

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 02:11 AM

Umm...Wow!?

Excellent photos!

[Edited on 5-12-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 08:28 PM

Are you looking, Osprey?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 06:23 AM

Udo, I'm always hoping for news about dorado close in. I don't look for marlin unless somebody on the boat is a marlin fan. Still lots of squid out there so I will wait. I don't usually buy live bait but sometimes I will run hoochies, grab small barrilette for live or skip bait. If they are big baits I use them for skip which dorado love and then if I hook up I can use the other filets for chunck bait if there are any followers. Nothing more exciting than watching the bulls gather around a hooked fish and gobble up your chuncks.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.