Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Applebees La Paz
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 02:28 PM
Applebees La Paz

Changed ownership recently as the previous owners managed to create a disaster there. An american friend of mine kept insisting i tried their Burgers, so i did. The burger was one of the best i have had in La Paz, service quick, and right away you can tell the new owners care.

I know many hate Applebees, but if your looking for a good burger in town, your missing out.

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 03:52 PM

Who are we going to make fun of now?*

Linguine and I stopped in there once a couple years ago. It was mostly because we want a good salad. At the time we thought is was overpriced. Just never went back. May have to give it another go.

*VIPs

I think the world is run by C- students.
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 09:49 PM

For some weird reason, my wife and I tried lunch at VIPS and it was terrible -- not just plastic chain restaurant stuff, more like imitation plastic chain restaurant stuff.

Burgers at Bandido's are better than ever, they changed the buns, no more of those sticky things with the creepy feel.

Ace at Baja Biscuits on Dominguez near 5 de Mayo has expanded his menu and everything we've had there has been satisfying and inexpensive.

The Asian food at Fusion, just down the street from Baja Biscuits, is also good. Menu includes Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food. Presentation is artful and their entire effort is a big step up from the run-of-the-mill Chinese slop that has been so boring for so many years in La Paz. An exception, though, is a little restaurant called Panda, on Abasolo on the corner of the callejon that parallels the CCC parking lot. Panda has the usual Chinese menu but the cooks and waitresses seem to be Chinese Chinese and everything comes out of the kitchen fresh and looks like some care has been taken in its preparation, and that's a nice change.

For traditional Mexican food, we've taken a liking to Maguey, a professionally run place on Allende near Ramirez. The TVs can be a nuisance if a soccer game is on but that's our only complaint.

Applebees? It's been a point of pride that we've never set foot in the place, but if Jesse says the burgers are good I guess we'll have to humble ourselves and give it a try.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajazz

The Asian food at Fusion, just down the street from Baja Biscuits, is also good.
Too late. Closed.

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 07:27 AM

Kate! Don't do it! VIPS is pretty awful!

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Dunno, but so many new restaurants are springing up here that there should be no shortage of material. Frankly, I suspect there are too many for this town to support, and one newish place in my area already displays a "se renta" sign.

Is VIPS that place near WalMart? If so, I saw a sign but couldn't figure out how to get into it to see what kind of food they had. Not sure if the joke's on them or on me. :lol:

Kate

•Life is just one damned thing after another
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG

Linguine and I stopped in there once a couple years ago.

Sure you're not thinking of Italian food at Dalle Ragazze?
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by twogringos
Quote:
Originally posted by BMG

Linguine and I stopped in there once a couple years ago.

Sure you're not thinking of Italian food at Dalle Ragazze?
Nope, I had fish that night.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 10:36 AM
Caution

VIPS is not only near Walmart. It is Walmart. Owned and operated.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 01:57 PM

Thanks for the updates on La Paz eateries. It used to be that the one good thing about Applebees was the fact that you could find a place to park there - now if we're in the mood for a burger, we may give them another try.

If you happen to be in the mood for a great steak at a reasonable price, we discovered a new place in La Paz a while ago called RESTAURANT ARGENTINO - Parrilla, Tango, y Pasta. Located on calle Normal Urbana esq. Mexico. This place (recommeded to us by an Argentinian) uses a traditional Argentinian grill for grilling their steaks and the staff was also very welcoming and helpful.

Also picked up a flyer the other day for another Argentinian place called Rincon Porteno - Empanadas Argentinas y also mas... It's on Marquez de Leon between Heroes de Independencia y Gomez Farias. I thought this sounded good for a quick lunch on a trip into La Paz last week, but could not find a parking place anywhere near....so I gave up. Do any of you La Paz nomads know of this place and if it is any good?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 04:03 PM

Empanadas, yum. Amazing how various countires make them. Maybe an idea for a new thread.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2009 at 09:09 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for Tortas? I fell in love with them many years ago at a little stand in San Felipe and have been wanting to introduce my daughter to them but haven't found the right standsince. Any recommendations in La Paz area?

In Memory of E-57
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Does anyone have a recommendation for Tortas? I fell in love with them many years ago at a little stand in San Felipe and have been wanting to introduce my daughter to them but haven't found the right standsince. Any recommendations in La Paz area?
We like Tortas Locas Hippocampo. They have more than 1 location. The one we go to is at the new shopping center on 5 de Febrero across from the Nissan dealer.

Tortas_Locas_April18_2009.JPG - 46kB

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2009 at 11:25 PM

Wife and I had a great burger a couple of nights ago at a newish place called K.B. Kiki's on Abasolo near Jalisco, across the street from Dr. Chung's old office. Besides being good, they were also large and we agreed that half a burger with an order of fries would probably do it for both of us.

I just made myself hungry, time to raid the 'fridge.

Did you know that people who stay up late consume 250 more calories a day than people who go to bed early?:bounce:
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 12:12 PM

We tried La Meta a couple of days ago and really liked it! The burgers and fries were great and next door they sell homemade ice cream that they've been making for 70 years!

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 12:13 PM

audiobaja

We've been waiting for you to open your place!

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by audiobaja
Also, people are talking a lot about a little burger place on Forjadores (don't blink, you WILL miss it) called La Meta. But seriously hard to see, even if you're looking for it. Kind of across from La Cochinita beside an only slightly better marked ice cream place.

We might do burgers too, but would anyone choose a burger over a cheesesteak? I suppose it's possible........
We stopped at La Meta the other day. LingLing had a hamburger and I had a chorizo burger. Both were very, very good and big. The chorizo burger was different than any chorizo I have ever had. Not spicy like a lot of chorizo and not greasy, but delicious and messy. I would definately order it again.

One problem was the french fries. They were way too good and we had to eat them all! 2 burgers with fries and soda, plus an extra soda, came to M$123.

As if the fries aren't bad enough, the ice cream store next door makes their own ice cream. I thought the vanilla didn't look so great in the tub, but was I wrong. Tasted like the homemade we used to crank out when I was a kid. We had to split a single scoop cup since we were both pretty full after the big meal next door.

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 09:27 PM

Wife and I had burgers at La Meta this evening, grilled al carbon. TERRIFIC! Best burger in town other than those at the Buffalo Grill. Reasonably priced, too, with fries and/or onion rings included.

Physically, the place is small, hot from the afternoon sun and a little rough. Needs some spiffing up and a good air conditioner installed. But the people who run it are swell, really trying to cater to our Gringoid taste buds. Also on the menu are Philly Cheese Steaks, ribs and BBQ'd roast beef. Meat freaks that we are we're looking forward to trying it all.

Also, the ice cream place next door, La Flor de La Paz, has been there for ages and I've patronized it for 22 years, now. Best ice cream in town next to La Fuente and the newish gelatto place across from where the old Bing's used to be but is now a coffee house. Have shamefully never learned the names of the couple who own La Flor de La Paz but they seem to have smiling cheerfulness embedded in their genes. He makes the ice cream and the senora bakes fabulous cakes to order. Great people.

La Meta and La Flor de La Paz are on Forjadores about 100' north of El Tigre hardware store and across from the Japanese restaurant whose name I forget.

We're also looking forward to trying the Philly Cheese Steaks at the new place on Bravo. We're glad to see these new places opening up, with hot weather coming on it's a drag to heat up the kitchen and cook.:bounce:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2009 at 11:03 AM

We will give it a try.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.