BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Eatery in Asuncion...sort of.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 07:50 AM
New Eatery in Asuncion...sort of.

things are looking up in the haut cuisine department in Asuncion. The old 3 Hermanos restaurant on the main drag has been torn down and gloria moved her rather mundane digs into her home which is fantastic and sits overlooking the beach. The new place has huge windows and is really sweet with the same great food so is now much nicer overlooking the ocean...they put new signs up to find it.

Juanitas Kitchen is the new place in town...juanita started serving food awhile back during fiesta times in a lean to with a dirt floor and one table next to her little store.

But now she paved the floor, got another table, fixed up the kitchen and actually has a menu posted on the wall...which is nice. Her sopes (my favorite item) are delicious and on weekends she has menudo, birria and chinese food! It is very economical and the family is nice...lots of kids around. It is located on the street up from the main street...just a block from the cop shop...between there and the gas pump but up a block away from the beach...next to a little store...handy for getting a tecate to go with your meal.

here is Juanita with our huge platter of sopes!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 08:01 AM

Yummmmm...............
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 08:29 AM

speaking of eating...there is a feeding frenzy going on outside my door as I type....dang good sign...and a nice swell from the southwest today too....good for the surfers, bad for the ab fishermen.

DSC02515-2.JPG - 49kB

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 09:21 AM

Good to see Juanita smiling and hope she continues to do so. We will give the place a try soon.

For those of you who remember the Tres Hermanos, here it is when we left town recently.

Here is Gloria's house where she moved the restuaruant---construction is of some new outside bathrooms.

And, one of the other sisters, Yoli is running a small restaurant out of a couple of the rooms at the hotel. We were told another restaurant was going to be built to replace the old, but we are not sure who will be running it.

Looking forward to tying Juanita's and seeing her smile.

[Edited on 6-14-2009 by jdtrotter]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 10:24 AM

Things a' changing!

Is the motel still in business where the restaurant was?

The food was good when we ate there with The squarecircle, Shari and Juan in 2007 (2 items on the menu: fish and carne)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 10:28 AM

When we ate at glorias last time...a classic mexican view was of the Bimbo truck who parked right in front of the lovey big windows....which have a fantastic beach view...if the chip truck isnt parked in front of it!
I teased the truck driver...telling him what a wonderful view the restaurant had...of his truck (and whispered to gloria later that she should suggest they park around the side, which will probably never happen).
This new restaurant location will be fantastic for our beach house and campground visitors as it is nearly next door....only the smell of wonderful garlic fish drives me crazy with hunger.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Things a' changing!

Is the motel still in business where the restaurant was?

The food was good when we ate there with The squarecircle, Shari and Juan in 2007 (2 items on the menu: fish and carne)!

Things have changed A LOT since 2007.

Motel is still in business.

Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 08:00 AM

Shari introduced me to Juanita's little place on my trip earlier this year. Never mind the dirt floor...the little place had wonderful food and a group of the nicest, most friendly and genuinely good people you might want to meet. Can't recommend her enough...wherever she sets up, Ii believe you will find great FRESH food and a wonderful; welcome. Viva Baja Sur. The people make it most special.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 09:17 AM

funny....I dont consider there have been ALOT of changes...there are a few improvements like the restaurants, the town is much cleaner as there is a new government garbage pick up project.

Yes, there are a few more gringo and mexican houses and a couple of RV's, but no real development. There is only one newish full time gringo resident and several snowbird part timers.

The new hotel project has stopped. There is a new palapa bar being built. But to me the town feels the same as ever...slow paced, friendly and a nice place to live. The biggest change was the paving of the main street and i suppose things will get busier once the highway is paved all the way.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo_Skip
Shari introduced me to Juanita's little place on my trip earlier this year. Never mind the dirt floor...the little place had wonderful food and a group of the nicest, most friendly and genuinely good people you might want to meet. Can't recommend her enough...wherever she sets up, Ii believe you will find great FRESH food and a wonderful; welcome. Viva Baja Sur. The people make it most special.

Good endorsement---We have not tried it yet because every time we would shop at Juanita's store, she would scold us for not shopping there more often---so we completely quit going there if she was there---really like a couple of the girls who have worked there.

However, it sounds like she is being very friendly in the restaurant, so we will give it a try.

Change, well, I guess it is matter of perspective. To us, since 2007, there has been major change and more coming. But, we still think it is a very nice place to be.

Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 08:41 PM

Great news, more choices, I really don't like to cook all that much.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 08:52 PM

I think I stopped at her little restuarant when I stayed in December. That's where I met my friend Jonesey. The guy with the Green Bay Packers 4 wheeler.
Is that the same place? Do you still see Jonesey around?
It's good to have a restuarant in town!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 09:01 PM

yeah, we saw that guy fall out of his 4 wheeler at Miramar. Then he slurred a few words as he walked out of the store with a few bottles of brandy. The kids at the arcade were snickering and the folks in the store did not seem very receptive to this guy. I doubt he'll last too long in town if he keeps up that way. But, we might have caught him on a bad day.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 09:01 PM

Thanks for keeping us up to date Shari. More reasons to come back for another visit!
Bob H
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
yeah, we saw that guy fall out of his 4 wheeler at Miramar. Then he slurred a few words as he walked out of the store with a few bottles of brandy. The kids at the arcade were snickering and the folks in the store did not seem very receptive to this guy. I doubt he'll last too long in town if he keeps up that way. But, we might have caught him on a bad day.

He is investing a lot of money there----will be interesting to see what happens.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 09:24 PM

I can't wait to visit, before the Walmart goes in.;D

Shari is that a rock or bird or an Orca or what out there beyond the gaviotas?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

I only hung out with him one day. I didn't see him fall down or anything.
But ya, he seems fresher earlier in the day and a little confused later in the day.
But he was a nice guy and fun to hang out with where I was there.

[Edited on 6-16-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.