Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz Las Arenas trip last week
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 01:48 PM
La Paz Las Arenas trip last week

We fished with Baja Pirates had two terrific days fishing out of the Las Arenas side. The first day fishing between Las Arenas and Isla Cerralvo produced many Dorado to 50 pounds caught on live bait and trolling with about 35 landed and most released. There was spotty Sargasso but plentiful bait. The second day we got into a feeding frenzy of Pez Gallo activity south of Ensenada de los Muertos with about 40 landed and released. The third day fishing out of Pichilingue the Sargasso had blown out and we only landed two small Dorado. As expected, the Baja Pirates crew and support was very good! There were very light winds and calm seas. We found out that the hotel Los Arcos has been shutdown for 7 months because of a strike. We visited Jonathan’s Tailhunter cantina and restaurant on the malecon and found the help very friendly.

[Edited on 6-17-2009 by bajajurel]

bajajurel
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 03:23 PM

I've been trying to figure out where the Tailhunter cantina is at on the malecon. Any prominent land marks near it. Hotels, restaurants, etc...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 04:45 PM

It is a large restaurant with Palapa architecture with multiple stories with a huge sign Jonathan Roldan's Tailhunter!

It is toward El Morro side, its pretty big and hard to miss!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 04:55 PM

I've seen a picture on the website. Was it a different restuarant before. I was at one that looks similar and has that multi-level open air palapa architecture. Like three levels maybe.
Near the chinese restuarant/hotel.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 05:28 PM

fishbuck...tailhunter means FISH!!!

not the other:lol::lol:

i was in front of it yesterday and thought of you:lol:

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
fishbuck...tailhunter means FISH!!!

not the other:lol::lol:

i was in front of it yesterday and thought of you:lol:

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by Bob and Susan]

Could be a double entendre. Couldn't it?:yes:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-17-2009 at 05:39 PM

and that's why i thought of YOOU:saint::saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajurel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 04:58 PM

gnukid post above describes the location. It is right on the malecon and hard to miss. Last year I walked by it and it was closed up but had a palapa covering over the sidewalk. The burger was ok and the beer cold. Friendly staff and the gringo manager is attentive.

We fished using live bait for the pez gallos. I'll never forget the location.

bajajurel
bajajurel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 05:06 PM

Ps. We took a van from San Diego and flew out of TJ to La Paz. I have the name of a great van driver if anyone needs it. He picked us up at the house and met us on our return and drove us home. It was a lot better than driving to LA.

Volaris is flying new airbus jets and the service was very good. Everyone at the Airpot in TJ was extremely friendly - it's amazing what a dip in the economy will do to attitudes! Even the Immigration guy was friendly and lo and behold he speaks very good English (though I speak Spanish).

bajajurel
bajajurel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 05:09 PM

Photos of the trip are posted at:

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/jg6BQ2Ab

bajajurel
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 06:10 PM

Nice Fish!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 06:35 PM

Nicely done on the photoshow, BajaJurel. I see Jonathan moved his cantina--I knew he was having trouble getting the place opened where he started, so....ignore what I wrote above and I'll delete that post.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
tattuna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 09:41 AM

I was there last week as well. Only fished one day, but caught and released about a dozen dorado to 30 lbs. just west of Cerralvo.

Took some fillets to Jonathan's Fubar Cantina and had them cooked up chile????? I forget what it was called, but it was the chef's specialty and it was delicious!

I was so impressed with Jonathans place! I've been fishing La Paz through him since 98 or 99. It's really cool to see how far he's come since then.

I have to mention the almejas at Palapa Azul on Tecolote beach were the most delicious I've ever had. I'll be searching the L.A. area for some til I can make it back down there.

Here's a pic of me and my lady friend in La Paz. Man, I wanna go back already!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.