Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Radio Fish
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 08:45 AM
Radio Fish

The Current limit on Radio Fish

Sometimes when my wife goes to Cabo for the day shopping or when she spends time at the Spa in Buena Vista I just sit here at my computer, look out at the ocean, play a little 21 with Hoyle on the computer. It’s just make believe money but I have one million bucks of Hoyle’s right now in my make believe bank. My all time high is three million.

If it’s flat out there and I see some boats I turn on my VHF radio right beside my mouse pad and go to the gringo channel, 65, to see who’s catchin’ what. Sometimes I scan the hotel boats but those Mexican captains talk so fast I can’t keep up. Also they’re just killing time and you never know if they’re just funnin’ about the fish or not.

My house is about 100 ft above the water and I guess it’s another 30 feet to the tip of antenna so my little West Marine can reach out NW to Cerralvo and beyond, NE to way and the hell and gone past Cabo Pulmo. Most of the gringos are gone in the summer so I have to listen for the few who are still here; Bill Collector, Oso Mar, Fishkiller, Soplado and lots more. My handle is Jugador, gambler or player because I used to live in Las Vegas.

Sometimes if I hear some newbies talking I pause in my little game, troll for radio fish.

“Greyhounder, come back to the Jugador.”

“Jugador, this is the Greyhounder.”

“Greyhounder, you just off the lighthouse. With the yellow top? Are you hooked up in there?”

“Well, I’m inside but I have a blue top. Not hooked up yet.”

“I got ya, I think I got ya inside. I’m about 6 off the lighthouse at about…..whoa, whoa….Greyhounder, hold on, hold on, I’m alone today. Got a striper on I think, gotta go….”

Then I play some more 21.

Then (outa breath) “Sorry, nice fish, nice fish. Kicked my butt there for awhile. Released the one….” Then I key the mic a few times, wait til’ he comes back.

“Jugador, you’re breakin’ up. Did I hear you released a striper?”

Out of breath again “Yeah, yeah, about 65 kilos I guess. Caught some small bait and I was draggin’ two of em real slow. When that first one went off I forgot all about the second rig and while I was trying to keep him away from that other line, it went off too. Jigmaster on that one and he broke off. Maybe a small blue cause he just went down and away, no foolin’ around.”

“You doin’ any good inside yet?”

Then, as he comes back I kill his message with my mic key again.

“Greyhounder, you’re breakin’ up again. I got my dorado limit on ice and I’m just gonna make one circle here and then head home. Stay close if you want in case I catch another big one and you can have it.”

When he comes back I just keep keying and saying “break up, bk up…”

Then I just go back to trying to beat that @$&!*( 21 dealer.

The older I get, the more pains here and there, the more radio fish I catch. I try to stay within the limits but sometimes it’s hard.

[Edited on 6-28-2009 by Osprey]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 09:11 AM

Catching radio fish on the coconut telegraph.

I like it.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 09:58 AM

Shame on you Osprey...but it is fun....

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.