BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Baja-quality meats I'll likely consider!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

thumbup.gif posted on 6-28-2009 at 02:07 PM
New Baja-quality meats I'll likely consider!

The latest issue of FOURWHEELER labeled these tires as, "Unbelievably round!" I love Interco products, but this issue of out-of-round tires has me in a huff over 1 out of round tire I am having mounted to my spare wheel. Instead of BFG's KM2 Mud-Terrain tire, Interco may have won back my hard-earned business!

The new Interco SS-M16 is a tire for all seasons. Several design features have been taken from our best performing all terrain and mud terrain tires. The SS-M16 is highway friendly and very quiet for a tire that has such good off road performance. It is an excellent tire that bridges the gap between the all-terrain and very aggressive off road tires and has a rugged design that will enhance the appearance of any vehicle.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 02:21 PM
"The alternative" - KM2's

The go anywhere tire for serious off-road enthusiasts.[i/]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 07:35 PM

Except deep sand... aggressive mud tread tires and stiff sidewalls are terrible in sand... I call then 'grave diggers'! I had the Cooper Discoverer STT tires as the first set after the stock BFG Rugged Trails were ready to be replaced at ~25,000 miles.

Hey they looked really good on my Tacoma, and worked great in Laguna Salada mud and getting to and out of Mision Santa Maria... They also lasted the longest ~35,000 miles.

[Edited on 6-29-2009 by David K]

discoverer_STT.jpg - 7kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Except deep sand... aggressive mud tread tires and stiff sidewalls are terrible in sand...

I agree. Bias-ply tires need to be aired way down to work in the sand. The above M16 tire looks like it would perform well in sand. It has soft 2 ply sidewalls and when aired down, with their mild mud terrain tread, I'm sure they would do well on the sand. I typically don't run sand, but all of the Jeep guys I've run sand with in the past haven't had trouble with their Goodyear MT/Rs of BFG MTs. Just take the air down to 10 p.s.i. and have a go at it.

Heck, even aired-up All-Terrains get stuck! :lol::o:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 09:21 AM

You're bad, Ken!;)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 11:49 AM

now I know why this wasn't in the "Baja Recipes" section!!!!!!!

Baja "meats"...................:lol::lol::lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 12:41 PM

Ken Cooke, Jeez, if I could get those ladies to help me, I'd be stuck most of the time.;D
BajaRoadrunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 09:40 AM

HAHA, I was wondering why you posted something about meat in the off-roading section. Was going to recommend "Su Karne" :tumble:

KM2's have been good to me so far. Really nice on the highway and Jacume and Mission Santa Maria tested.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 03:24 PM
Su Karne!

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRoadrunner
HAHA, I was wondering why you posted something about meat in the off-roading section. Was going to recommend "Su Karne" :tumble:

I've driven past that place so many times on Hwy 2! Funny!!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRoadrunner
KM2's have been good to me so far. Really nice on the highway and Jacume and Mission Santa Maria tested.

What is their noise level like? Have you rotated them yet?

I am also looking at the Kumho Road Venture MTs. They cost less than the competition, are not a super-aggressive MT, and the 35s should fit easily as the 33s run very small, and the 35s are the smallest 35s I have seen yet (spec. at 34.7"OD).

35x12.5"r15 = $184 ea.
LT265r16s = $165 ea.

BajaRoadrunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2009 at 10:56 AM

Noise level is really low, same as KM1 or even lower I would say. I barely notice it. I'm about to rotate them for the first time.

I bought them at Tersa in Tijuana, check out the prices, they might be cheaper than in the US if you consider the mounting, balancing and aligment.
I paid around 750 for everything with the current exchange rate (4-33" KM2's, mounting, balancing, aligment and I think tire disposal is included).
Sometimes they will include the 2 year insurance (around 65-70dlls, replacement, no questions asked) in your quote even if you did not ask for it, just make sure to ask what are you paying for.

[Edited on 7-13-2009 by BajaRoadrunner]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2009 at 11:06 AM

$750 is a very respectable price for what you paid. Especially with the prices that new Mud-Terrain tires command at this day and age. :yes:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 07:32 AM

In June I replaced the two rear tires on my company 07 Tacoma with BFG All Terrain KOs and as soon as I left the shop and got on the highway I noticed a wandering of the front end. I thought maybe the tire shop didn't tighten the lug nuts. So I pull over and check the wheels and they seem OK. A week or so later at the next oil change I ask my mechanic to also check the steering etc and he found nothing. Yesterday I had the front tires replaced and aligned. It turns out that it was the new rear tires that were causing the steering problem since the front tires didn't have a lot of tread left. I'm not impressed with the Cooper tires that were on it. They didn't get much better life than the original BFGs that came on the truck, 18,000 verses 15,000 miles and don't work nearly as well in the snow as the KOs do.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 07:49 AM

My Tacoma has 95,000 miles on it (almost 4 years old) and here is its tire history:

BFG Rugged Trail T/A (stock Tacoma TRD tires): lasted only 25,000 miles

Cooper Discoverer STT: 35,000 miles (noisey, but looked cool... great in mud, bad in sand)

Toyo Open Country A/T: 30,000 miles (quiet, worked fine, disappointed in the mileage)

Cooper Discoverer ATR: I have 10,000 miles on them so far, and people still ask me if they are new.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 02:09 PM

What is your favorite Baja tire thus far, David?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 06:00 PM

I noticed on the BFGs they are 6 ply tread and 3 ply sidewalls. Wonder when they added the 6th tread ply. 3 polyester, 2 steel and 1 nylon. Another thing when I was at the tire shop they had to get them from another location and the manager asked me if I wanted 8 ply or 10 ply. I said I didn't know they made them in either but said 8 ply was OK. The manager wasn't there when I picked up the truck but I assume they must have ment an 8 ply rating???? I looked on the BFG web site and saw nothing about it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
What is your favorite Baja tire thus far, David?

I don't have a favorite... just wish the Discoverer STTs weren't so loud... They were TERRIBLE in all sand (Pacific and Gulf)... Called them grave diggers! Sand is close to 90% of my four wheeling... Mision Santa Maria road is the other 10%!

I would like to try the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ... but nobody stocks them... and I like to see, feel, touch before I buy!

My old favorite was the Armstrong TRU TRAC an awesome tire sold by Dick Cepek (and other Armstrong dealers) back in the 70's. I had them on my 1975.5 Jeep Cherokee Chief.

I am happy with the Cooper truck tires I have now... time will tell... Leaving for Baja Sur in the morning, so let's see how they do on the road to Comondu!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.