Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Emergency Equipment for Mexico
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 02:09 AM
Emergency Equipment for Mexico

I recently returned from a humanitarian project delivering vehicles and equipment to towns in Mexico without them. This was the third trip for the group and the first I've participated in. This year we delivered a fire truck, 2 aid cars, 4 police cars and a bus equipped for wheelchairs. We took vehicles to Ayutla, Autlan, Barra de Navidad, and delivered medical and safety equipment to Mazatlan for a Rotary group in Tacoma.

What an experience! To read about the trials and tribulations of the trip:

http://www.themissiontomexico.com/Home.htm

There's links to an updated blog about the trip, news coverage from the Tacoma paper, and a link to donate money.

This trip had big issues at the border. Due to the age of 2 vehicles, tax official asked for $6000 to let them through. This took up over 7 hours of precious road time spent on bare asphalt in the middle of the Sonoran desert.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 08:38 AM

Thanks for sharing this. Looks like besides being a very worthwhile endeavor, it was also a fun trip.

I briefly looked at the site you linked and will spend more time later---looks very interesting.

Diane

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 08:47 AM

Great organization you have there, Roger. Non-sectarian as well. The name threw me off.
We have people here, gringo types, who are involved in the importation of fire equipment for the local volunteer fire department and they are learning the hard way about altruism and donating in Mexico. There is at least one vehicle stuck in red tape. If you don't mind, I will give them your web site and have them contact your organization for moral support and pertinent info.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 10:08 PM

Nice work, Roger. I'm part of a group in Punta Banda that recently purchased a fire engine and a first response vehicle at auction. We worked with a cusoms broker to import the vehicles, which are on their way as I write this. For our little community, this was a big expense, but our dedicated volunteer fire department needs and deserves the equipment. While the selling prices for the vehicles was relatively low, it was still real money. How were you able to obtain donated vehicles?

rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 10:35 PM

Baja Amigo: The group has close ties to law enforcement in the area. They've also done a good job of raising money through donations. Go to the website, click on contacts, and you should get some advice. If you have trouble reaching someone, u2u me and I'll help you out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.