Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Family Boating trip from San Bruno last Sunday
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2009 at 02:35 PM
Family Boating trip from San Bruno last Sunday

This is an exerpt from an email from Mick Chapman of Cortez Explorers Scuba Dive Center in Mulege. He recently enjoyed a "Busman's Holiday" with his children and friends who are visiting this summer:

"We went to San Bruno yesterday and put some more electronics and the kicker on Daedalus (company diveboat), then we took her out to sea with everyone on board.

We got halfway out between San Bruno and San Marcos Island and were totally surrounded by about a dozen to 15 Finback Whales. There is also the very good possibility that there was a Blue Whale in this pack as she was different, bigger and with a distinctive white to lightish blue chin. She kept swimming by the bow as we idled in mid-ocean there. Also at the very same time, there were mobula everywhere jumping, playing and generally being clownish. There was no stopping my 9-year old daughter Thea! She was in the water, in mid-ocean, with the whales and the mobula all around her! She was followed by everyone else! We never saw the whales actually underwater while in the ocean itself, but they were simply standing off some 50ft or so and blowing bubbles. It was a truly magical experience that I personally will never forget. Not simply because of the whales, but the fact that my family was enjoying life the way I do. The mobula were simply cruising by underneath us, and one almost landed on T's. head. We had about an hour 15 to 90 minutes out there with these gorgeous creatures all around, and under us. And in daughter-in-law Bianca and Thea's case, almost on top of also. I was so impressed with Thea as she was free-diving down to the mobula doing her dolphin kick. That 9-year old lady is so at home in the water. I was really so proud to watch her behavour in the water. I was also impressed with 13-year old daughter Emma as she has been reading too many books about great whites, and was worried a little about being in open water with the prospect of great whites being around. But being a true Chapman, she overcame her fears and got in the water to play also. I am equally proud of her for doing such a thing. Shows her character wonderfully.
Then we went off to the sealions, and we had a great time there of course. There were so many pups out there. I have never seen so many together before. We never took diving gear so we all snorkeled. Again Thea was in there and dolphin-diving. She also used the scooters and was doing the same things. Ash & John and their two children were with us, and everyone had a wonderful time.

Today is back to work with my Dive Master student."

[Edited on 7-31-2009 by Mulegena]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-29-2009 at 02:46 PM

Mulegena, Yea, that makes it all worthwhile. Thanks.:D
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 06:50 AM

Great to hear that Mick's family is being blessed by wonderful experiences.
That is interesting about the blue whale being with the Fin's...apparently blues have been mating with fin whales...perhaps due to the lack of suitable mates in their own species!!! I hope he got photos of them so they could be ID'd and the info passed on to whale researchers.
In the pacific northwest, there was a terrific program where fishermen and tourists could call in their sightings on a whale hotline and assist researchers by providing photos with dates and locations on them.

Perhaps we should get something like that going in baja??

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 07:24 AM

Lisa Marie...nice post...good to see that your family is having fun in the water down there..see you in a couple of months...mike

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Great to hear that Mick's family is being blessed by wonderful experiences.
That is interesting about the blue whale being with the Fin's...apparently blues have been mating with fin whales...perhaps due to the lack of suitable mates in their own species!!! I hope he got photos of them so they could be ID'd and the info passed on to whale researchers.
In the pacific northwest, there was a terrific program where fishermen and tourists could call in their sightings on a whale hotline and assist researchers by providing photos with dates and locations on them.

Perhaps we should get something like that going in baja??

Are there research programs in Baja for whales? It would be great to report. Mick sees whales frequently throughout the year as, I imagine, do other boaters.

Perhaps a "Whale Sighting - East & West Coasts" thread on Nomad. What think you, Adventurers?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 03:46 PM

UABS in La Paz does some research but perhaps a "under the radar" type reporting to the international whale research community would be more valuable and I could communicate with La Paz and see if they would be interested in receiving the data. Killer whale sightings go unreported here and would be really cool to document....plus sightings like Micks are valuable to those international researchers doing research on specific topics like blue whales mating with fin whales...photo ID can reveal lots of really valuable information....lets do it!! I'd be happy to act as intermediary and disperse the info to the appropriate agencies.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 07:30 PM

There is a guy by the name of Steve who goes by the handle whale watcher in San Lucas Cove who has been reporting and photographing whales in the Craig channel for years. He was working on a deal with National Geographic with some of his video and photos but I do not know what happened with that.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.