Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A few days in La Paz
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 02:17 PM
A few days in La Paz

Left San Jose Tues morning about 11:30 with Vaquita in tow and fishing on our minds.
Arrived at Club Cantamar in La Paz about 3:30 after a quick stop at the marina store for a few last minute items.
There is no better place to stay if you want to get to Balandra, Tecolote, Espiritu Santo etc. Not having to come out the channel from La Paz saves a lot of time. We stayed in room 116 which is a nice suite overlooking the slips. We could see the boat from our shower. Breakfast is included and was excellent. We had eggs every way we gringos like them plus huevos rancheros, enfrijollados(I like mine with cheese so be forewarned that unless you ask, they come with chorizo), chilaquiles(yummy), fresh fruit. There is a pool and a nice swimming beach where you can snorkel. There is excellent security and the staff is extremely helpful and nice too. Those were all the pluses which for us far outweighed the minuses….the ferry is right across the street and the traffic noise in the rooms next to the street must be pretty bad. Be sure to ask for a room inside the grounds not on the road.
Got the boat in the water that first afternoon but decided to clean up and head into town for dinner at Tres Virgenes. We all decided that it was one of the best Baja meals ever. I had the Caesar’s Salad, which had a little bit too much dressing but I just scraped some to the side and continued to eat the extra crisp romaine lettuce, had the baby octopus as my main dish. The others had a shrimp dish, fish dish and lamb shank. Jim could not quit talking about the lamb which I tasted from across the table and promptly wore all down the front of my blouse but agreed that it was the best I had ever tasted. Flan for dessert….all in all an excellent meal. Thanks Jesse
The next day we got up, had breakfast, went for a swim, and boarded the boat about 9. Trolled out of the bay and over to the first cove on the western side of Espiritu Santo, anchored up and went for a swim and snorkel. Not much in the snorkel dept. Had lunch and trolled back home. Back at the dock about 4:30. Took a siesta, took a swim and dressed for dinner. Since it is about 30 minutes back into town we decided to eat locally and went to Bella Vista which is on the right side of the street where you turn to go to the ferry. Walking up the stairs, we all had our doubts but once our food arrived we were over that. I had one of the best scallop c-cktails I have ever had. Sweet small callitos in a salsa of tomatoes and cukes. The others had shrimp empanizado and jim had a whole fried snapper…all very good….$350 pesos including drinks.
Next day same routine but this time we went into San Gabriel to anchor. Coming back we hooked a dorado but did not get it in the boat. I will make no comment on that other than to say….duh. Went to Milano for dinner and once again were treated to a wonderful meal. Two of us had tuna(mine rare) with black and white sesame seeds, two had fried oyster, callitos over black pasta with cream(very light) sauce and a pear salad. When the waiter mentioned a dessert with chocolate cooked inside chocolate, I had to try it. Probably one of the best desserts ever. Jim had tiramisu which was perfect.
Unfortunately we only had a few days off and left the next day after breakfast, a swim and the boat back on the trailer.
A great trip, just too short. We will go back. My friend took all the photos so will post them after he sends them to me.
I would guess that you have noticed that we did not land one fish. Ah well, we did get out on the beautiful waters around La Paz. No complaints here.

That’s why they don’t call it catching, right?

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 02:42 PM

Great report, Judy. It sounds like the culinary options were a little better than the fishing. Is Vaquita the little panga Jim is trying to sell?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 02:56 PM

Of course you didn't catch any fish. You chewed your way through
La Paz. :lol: Now look what you've done: I am four hours away from dinner and you've made me v-e-r-y hungry!

The up side of that is, now because I can't wait four hours to eat, c-cktail time also comes earlier too. ;):bounce:

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 03:33 PM

I'm green with envy, Judy. You were at all my favorite spots in La Paz - indoors and out.
fwiw... I'd always thought Room 116 was specifically mine.:?::rolleyes:;D

Thanks for the good report.... looking forward to the pix.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 04:11 PM

ahhh baja...it's all about the food! You captured the essence in your trip report Judy....makes me want to come to La Paz.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2009 at 04:35 PM

IMHO, the La Paz malecon is the best waterfront strip in all Baja. And yes, the food choices are many and varied. Thanks for sharing, Judy.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 09:20 AM

Quote:

Jim could not quit talking about the lamb which I tasted from across the table and promptly wore all down the front of my blouse but agreed that it was the best I had ever tasted.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Hate that when it happens.

Looking very forward to your pictures. Glad you got away for a few days and had a great time.

Diane

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 09:22 AM

One thing I forgot was the bread......groan..more food reports.
At Jesse's we started with a little roll with dill and cheese and a very thinly sliced onion on top. Then they brought us some flat bread from the brick oven...both were delicious. The croutons for my salad were crispy cubes of the starter rolls.
There was no bread at Bella Vista...chips and saltines
At Milano they served a crusty rustic Italian bread that was warm. We ate two baskets of that.

Bill....no, Vaquita is our Montauk Boston Whaler. The other boat is off the market as the boat builder would like to buy it back.

Wodd
I agree 100% about the malecon. It was packed with people both nights that we went into La Paz. I didnt mention the obligatory trip to Michoacan Paleta shop....guanabana for me. I love to walk down the malecon spitting out the seeds...jejejeje

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by bajajudy]

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 10:07 AM

Wonderful report Judy! Brought back muchos recuerdos buenos!!

carpe diem!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
IMHO, the La Paz malecon is the best waterfront strip in all Baja. And yes, the food choices are many and varied. Thanks for sharing, Judy.

Completely agree, and here are some photos:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.