Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: camper for Tacoma
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 11:05 AM
camper for Tacoma

we are thinking about buying a slide in camper for our 07 Tacoma,, maybe a pop up any suggestions, as I still want to do some off roading with it,, but nothing extreme,, we are 65/60,, so we are way past doing some of this stuff, but would like to have a little comfort,

I did replace the rear spring as there was a toyota recall on them as they was way to soft,, and what all would you do the the suspension to handle the added weight,,
I did just replaced my stock tires with BF Goodrich ALL-Terrain T/A,, other wise the truck is stock

thanks for your help
ken/jane

[Edited on 10-11-2009 by desertcpl]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 11:23 AM

http://www.fourwh.com/ranger2.html

There is no real comfortable camper for a tacoma in my opinion. The truck bed is just too small.

Get a pop-top camper. There several to choose from. Click on the link and see what you end up with as you travel baja.

I'm happy with mine. Sleeping quarters are excellent. Eating quarters less so. Two people can't lie down to rest without one up above in the sleeping area. The other restriction is how much can be packed. Don't expect to be able to carry more than about 10 days worth of provisions.

These sacrifices are worth making as baja shrinks and all the traditional favorites are no longer attractive (Pt Escondido, La Ventana).
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 11:31 AM

Here is the Eagle model that is suited for the Tacoma.

As you can see they have nicely arranged steps, 2 iceboxes, and what looks like a grill. Totally unrealistic as you would have to load and unload all this stuff at every stop you made for there is no storage space except for the main walkway. Use the space in the extra cab for what the camper does not provide. Loading and unloading from the extra cab isn't really fun either but can be done less frequently.

Oh one last thing. The roof is well built and can support a considerable amount of weight. Unfortunately the roof is raised manually by pushing from shoulder height until arms reach straight up. And it has to be held with one arm while the other fastens the locking mechanism. How many kayaks can you hold up with one arm? So, for older people - nothing on the roof.

[Edited on 10-11-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

baja_truck.jpg - 46kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 02:42 PM

have you looked at tear drop trailers? they are great for desert camping when rain is rare.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 08:24 AM
camper

skip jack,,Isnt a 07 Tacome a full size bed?

that Eagle camper looks great,, I will check ti out

mtgo,,, at this time dont think we want to go with a tear drop, but thanks for the input
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 08:33 AM

Ask Neal Johns' opinion... He has an earlier Tacoma with the pop up camper. The '05 and later Tacomas got a lot bigger (like the earlier Tundras)... but I don't think we can call our Tacomas full size.

As for the soft suspension... I described my solution in great detail here on Nomad... Off Road Warehouse installed Ride Rite Air Springs on top of the leaf springs... also swaped the stock Bilstein shocks for the 5100 Bilsteins. All is perfect now, no more bottoming out with a load... Ride firmness and rear height is adjustable with air pressure 10-100 psi. The most I have used is 45 psi... otherwise they are at 20 psi for normal work loads.... Amazing results!

I just replied to that other thread so it will be near the top of the forum for you to find easily!

[Edited on 10-12-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 09:07 AM

thanks DK,, I remember the other tread,, I will print it out now
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 09:09 AM

The tacoma truck bed got wider and higher in '05 but the length remained the same. As a result the same camper models are used on the later tacomas as the earlier ones.

http://www.fourwh.com/camper_fit.htm

There are several companies that make poptop campers for tacoma, I just mentioned the one that is close to us. I would recommend that you get one with an all metal frame when making your choice. I was less happy with a wood frame camper.

Good luck.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 09:15 AM

Check these guys out too, former owners of Four Wheel Campers...

https://www.allterraincampers.com/home.html
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 10:37 AM

We had one of these on our Tundra and liked it----and they do make one for the Tacoma

Outfitter Camper

Each one is custom made and they only sell factory direct---factory is in Colorado which is a nice trip. It is a family run operation and really good people.

But, they are NOT cheap---good thing, however, is when we decided to sell our camper, we took it back to Colorado and they sold it for us for almost what we paid for it.

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 08:08 AM

I am on my second Pop-Top camper, the first one was put together with large staples and fell apart after eight years (for no reason :-) like taking it to Mission Santa Maria, etc. My wife and I put about 12,000 miles a year on the pop-top. The truck will need extra springs in the rear, either air or extra leaves. I chose three extra leaves each side, $500 installed. For really rough roads put in aftermarket front coilovers, about $1000, otherwise get "leaver spacers", less than $200.

There are two good Pop-Top candidates for rough roads:
The FourWheelCamper like Skipjack's and the NorthStar like mine.
http://www.fourwh.com/Eagle_Model.pdf
http://northstarcampers.com/p_mc600.asp

Both are well made and will stand up to Baja use.
Differences:
4WC has welded aluminum frame versus screwed and glued NS
NS has six top windows versus 4WC four
4WC is more expensive with normal extras/equipment (compare)
Weight is about the same with normal extras
4WC is narrower by 10" (Better)
NS has crank-up versus push-up top (affects wife only) :lol:
NS has 3.5" storage under bed, 4WC none
4WC has lower profile over cab (Better wind resistance & CG)
4WC has 12 gal water, NS has 17
4WC has 2" foam bed versus NS 5" innerspring

Copy of P1010861 [800x600].JPG - 49kB

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 02:39 PM

4 wheel camper "Eagle" model, on an older tacoma.."sport rite" airgbags from firestone are the only suspension mod on this rig..Very capeable.

TT

DSCN1798.JPG - 32kB
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 02:42 PM

1073 lbs dry weight on the northstar vs. 695lbs dry weight on the 4wheel..
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 05:49 PM

The 695 lb. is without the normal equipment (standard on Northstar, extra on 4Wheel).

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 07:33 PM

hey, think about putting air bags on top of that axle...les schwab talked me into it several years ago and i wouldn't want to travel without them now...little tiny high psi bags that are between your chassis and axle...an unbeleivable improvment ..i think i just spelled two words in a row wrong!!!...anyway, takes away all the sway and flip/flop of your camper without having to get sway bars...just a thought

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 11:20 PM

I think the difference in price (you seem to get more for your money with a Northstar) can be explained in the construction. It costs more to build an all metal frame camper in both material and work.

I would recommend attending one or more of those outdoor or RV shows that come around during the winter months. That way you can sit and lie and see the quality and space you will have at your disposal. You can determine if these poptops provide the comfort level that is acceptable.

I also want to add some personal experiences with wood frame campers. They're susceptible to dry rot. If you have any small opening in the skin of the camper (driving on heavy washboard will lead to some separation) you will eventually get water on that wood. With time it will start to rot and, in my case, compromise the very structure of the camper. I put in a considerable amount of time and money rebuilding that frame. This may not be a concern if you will store your camper dry or if you live in an area with little rainfall. Otherwise, keep it in mind.
generubin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2010 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
we are thinking about buying a slide in camper for our 07 Tacoma,, maybe a pop up any suggestions, as I still want to do some off roading with it,, but nothing extreme,, we are 65/60,, so we are way past doing some of this stuff, but would like to have a little comfort,

I did replace the rear spring as there was a toyota recall on them as they was way to soft,, and what all would you do the the suspension to handle the added weight,,
I did just replaced my stock tires with BF Goodrich ALL-Terrain T/A,, other wise the truck is stock

thanks for your help
ken/jane

Hello Ken and Jane,
I use an ATC (All Terrain Campers) camper. It is of the pop-up, aluminum frame type. The ATC also has a lower profile than most of the pop-ups. I bought mine from an Arizona dealer that is not all that far from you. Jay Aronow Campers, www.jayaronowcampersales.com. It seems very well built and is one of the very lightest. With your Tacoma you need to stay light for safe braking as well as suspension.
Gene
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2010 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by generubin
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl

thanks for your help
ken/jane

Hello Ken and Jane,
I use an ATC (All Terrain Campers) camper. It is of the pop-up, aluminum frame type. The ATC also has a lower profile than most of the pop-ups. I bought mine from an Arizona dealer that is not all that far from you. Jay Aronow Campers, www.jayaronowcampersales.com. It seems very well built and is one of the very lightest. With your Tacoma you need to stay light for safe braking as well as suspension.
Gene

thanks Gene

I will look into this

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.