Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Quintin area trip
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 10:56 AM
San Quintin area trip

11-26-09

Off Jaime and I go for a birthday trip for yours truly—should tell you all that I thought that I was turning 71 on the 29th. This was shattered when my oldest daughter took Thanksgiving dinner to wish me a happy birthday with the question, “just how old are you now Dad?” Crap! Told me I was wrong and that I would be 73. Not really funny. How would you feel if in the blink of an eye you suddenly lost 2 years of your life.

Stopped at Keri’s and Mike’s the next day and met their son Mike, his wife Peggy and their two wonderful kids—really! Had an impromptu second Thanksgiving dinner and told stories about—what else—Baja.

The next morning it started to rain as we headed south for a few days in the San Quintin area. Maneadero was a minor lake but the road south had been repaved and we had good sailing even as the rain picked up until it was a steady downpoor.

We were supposed to stop by and see a friend, Bill Steele at San Antonio del Mar, through a bunch of onion fields west of Colonet. Decided against that because that red clay was slippin’ and slidden time for sure. Nice guy but so was the bottle of seeping Tequila I did not give him.

Back a ways—just as we hit the straight stretch before Colonet appeared a lone bicycle rider who was almost impossible to see due to the down poor. Admire these guys who take on that road but I always wonder how many folks are injured in wrecks caused by drivers attempting to miss the idiots! Oh! Well.

That afternoon had us trying to check in to the Desert Inn, formerly the La Pinta, in San Quintin. Closed for extensive remodeling. Seems Las Pinas Farms is buying up everything in sight in the area.

Wandered through the trees and visited for a while at Cielito Lindo with Harlan and Denise. Also shared a few drinks with David and Juanita before heading back to Jardines looking for a room. No luck but had a fantastic dinner at the restaurant. The manager, Adriane, had created a flank steak roll up that was to beg for. Slobberingly good! Goat cheese, basil, and cilantro—plus—something that he would not divulge. Ah! So good.

Found the last room, outside the wall, at the Old Mill. Any roof over your head is good when it is raining. Tastiest shower I ever had. Ugg! Salt is for your food, not your body.

Out of there at day break and heading toward El Rosario. Stopped to see Antonio at Baja Cactus but he was not home.

Still squalls blowing through when we decided to wander down to the Bocano. In my little, two wheel drive CRV, that proved to be so fun. More mud on my car than in the river bottom. Jaime, a surfer all of her life, what else in Sunset Beach, says the shore break was over 5 feet and out further the medium waves were over 12 feet. She estimated a reefbreak at or over 20 feet. Me, I just know my feet ain’t goin’ there. Sliddin’ on back toward town we sees two rigs pulling boat trailers with surfboards on top roaring down a mountain side. Yea! Sure she bounced up and down on the seat until my brains left me and we headed up the mountain. After about two weeks of driving and splashing thru minor lakes we find we are heading toward Punta Baja and Punta Chino. Felt we were close to the right hand of God—until the beauty and quiet were temporally destroyed by a couple of huge 4 wheel drive pickups roared by and sending muddy water everywhere. That’s where my brains returned—the water was up to heir hubs—my CRV just can’t swim so in spite of her whining I turned around and promised to try another time. Note: these points are south of El Rosario—not those at Santo Tomas.

Back to Jardines where we secured a room so we can explore Bahia San Quintin and the volcano’s around it. The road takes off the main drag directly south of the Army Base. We missed it going in and meandered around for a while. Most interesting to see a couple of Army guys making small rocks out of large ones with an armed guard watching from the shade of a few olive trees.

Remember that old “Rawhide” theme song—rolling, rolling, roll on—well this road was just bouncing, bouncing, bounce on. Through Chapala {yes, that means church also}, don’t blink, and then around a volcano and then onto a huge bay of oyster farms where we were treated to fresh oysters shucked directly after coming from the sea. Jaime almost cut the visit short when she had a ‘little’ problem keeping her first ever oyster down.

Visited with Jose Rangel and Vacentin Rangel Qlacencia as they separated oysters by size for shipment to Tijuana, Mexicali, San Diego and points north. They are third generation sea farmers and quite knowledgeable about things that come from the bay. They seemed very happy that the going price for a dozen oysters was forty pesos.

Jose told us that thr Government allowed thrm to shoot 1400 ducks a year. He noted that they were free food for the family’s

Jaime asked where they got the oyster eggs to plant and they told her that they get the eggs from laboratorio in mainland Mexico. This is not a simple little operation as it first seems.

Our last morning at the Jardines, a stunning garden in the middle of a desert. Nine eye-catching motel units are nestled there to greet you with a dozen more being constructed to fill the demand. Carmen and Guillermo, the owners, welcome you and make you feel that you are at home with family. Reservations are recommended: USA 619-591-8922 or www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com. They both sport large smiles, shinning eyes, and caring hearts. So fun to talk with.

Our last morning saw us flying down the beach from Cielito Lindo toward El Socorro in Mike and Keri’s four wheel drive rig. Laughing and collecting seashells and rocks. It was hard to say goodbye as we headed north.

An uneventful five hour trip to the border—until a ‘new’ Homeland Security guy ruined our week by sending us to secondary—BECAUSE—we had rocks and seashells in the car. At secondary another old timer asked when I had last been sent through secondary. I told him that was over 40 years ago when I was still a cop. He then noticed my retired Fire and Police sticker. That did seem to help because we were out of there very shortly.
Yep! Even the guys in secondary could not believe the rookie had sent us in because of rocks and seashells.

One most fun trip and we will be heading back down to finish the trip to Punto Chino early in the new year.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 12:23 PM
Hi Bernie

I was very glad to see your post here today, we met some old friends of yours from La Salina, Newt and his wife, at La Fonda last Sunday. and I am happy for the chance to pass on their good wishes to you in timely manner.

Keep having a wonderful life, even if we all now know how decrepit you are (kidding, just kidding ;) )

Gypsy Jan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:44 PM

Sounds like you had a great time.:yes:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:50 PM

Thanks for the travelogue. I'm going to check out that volcano one of these days.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:52 PM

Thanks Bernie and Happy Birthday to you... 73, 71 or just good old 49 forever!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 09:17 PM

Next time you come through, let us know Bernie. Our new place is just a stones throw north from La Ostionera. I could even have shown you the short cut that is a better road out there to the beach.

Next time...

;D

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 09:27 PM

Hi Bernie...Didn't see you drop in this morning. I was up in your ol' stompin grounds. Good to see you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.