Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Il Rustico La Paz
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 12-7-2009 at 08:22 PM
Il Rustico La Paz

Located on revolucion betwen bravo and rosales. After very dissapointing experiences on both the new Palermos and La Barcaccia, this is in my opinion, the best Italian by far in La Paz. Food is fresh, prices are decent, no flash and fancy anything, just good Italian food. We started with tomato bruschetta, lentil soup, and a capresse salad, all where good, then a foccacia that was great, lasagna very good, and the penne arrabiata even do a little spicy, very very good. We finished with a very nice Tiramisu and the tab was 740 pesos for four people.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Located on revolucion betwen bravo and rosales. After very dissapointing experiences on both the new Palermos and La Barcaccia, this is in my opinion, the best Italian by far in La Paz. Food is fresh, prices are decent, no flash and fancy anything, just good Italian food. We started with tomato bruschetta, lentil soup, and a capresse salad, all where good, then a foccacia that was great, lasagna very good, and the penne arrabiata even do a little spicy, very very good. We finished with a very nice Tiramisu and the tab was 740 pesos for four people.

With enthusiasm I reviewed the pizza and brick oven there and it doesn't follow the geometric form of an Italian pizza oven nor Italian pizza exactly, nor are the oven stones and materials authentic. Why have a authentic Italian restaurant that isn't even authentic? I like the pizza there, but I believe the bar is yet to be set in the pizza department for restaurants in La Paz region compared to anyone who were to pursue it using google to find good recipes, good ingredients and a proper plan to cook. Still a home pizza beats them or any other spot yet.

Perhaps this might be a good place to open a discussion regarding pizza recipes, dough, oven design, flour/yeast formulas, the no-nead dough, healthy toppings etc... and let's get this pizza party started.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 05:03 PM

Gee, thanks gnukid, for bringing back to earth. When I first read Jesse's post, I thought how nice it was that he was touting the competition. Then, I realized that he doesn't have competition. Pray tell, is that pizza as good as Cafe Santa Fe in TS?
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 05:15 PM

Now that is a good looking pizza! Hey honey, is dinner ready? No! Order a pizza!!!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:27 PM

Geometric pattern of the brick oven????:lol:

Gnukid, i didn't say it was the best pizza place ever, or did i solicited pizza recipes or the like, i simply said that in my humble opinion, they have probably the best all around and more consistent Italian restaurant in town.

And good pizza comes from great cooks, not the geometrical shapes and dimentions of the oven.

:lol:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 02:25 AM

The pizza is great. I referenced the claim of authenticity which is quite interesting to me and I think many others. We are interested in wood fired ovens and pizza-perhaps obsessed. The geometry of the oven opening and the materials is critical, it affects the internal temperature and the consistency in temperature. Perhaps there is more to it. Of course anything can work, including a bbq, but there is a grand tradition of wood fired Italian cooking which is something to be passionate about.

In celebration of the genre, can you imagine how many people pass through La Paz looking for real pizza from a nice oven? Its my feeling, that there is yet quite a bit of room for an authentic Italian pizza restaurant in La Paz, in particular, starting with a proper wood fired oven followed by choice wood and ingredients.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 07:55 AM

Much too many toppings to achieve a crispy crust on the bottom without burning the toppings.

I like a crust that stands straight out when you pick a piece up.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 08:33 AM

Not tofu-I forgot what it was, but yes we do make veggie pizza as well as meat pizza. Lots of vegitarians around which makes pizza a great choice because its easy to make both veggie and meat versions.

Its possible to either pre-cook items before the dough and then cook again for a crispy crust, that's also common on bbq where you can pre-cook one side and then flip and prep with veggies and cook again.

All of these various cooking solutions are in lieu of proper wood fired oven which can cook a 60" pizza through evenly.

Actually, today we are working on building a new wood fire pizza oven in a new restaurant (three years in the making) but we are short on refractory cement which is required... might be a few more years til we finish.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid

All of these various cooking solutions are in lieu of proper wood fired oven which can cook a 60" pizza through evenly.

I had to run the inches-to-feet Google conversion and I came up with a 5 foot pizza!! How the heck to you toss the dough without a giant mess?

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 09:25 AM

Whoops I meant 60" oven pizzas doh!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Whoops I meant 60" oven pizzas doh!

:?::?::?:
Likely what you mean is a 60" pizza oven.;)

Tossing 60" pizza dough in the air, should get you looking like the Michelin Man after a miss.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 03:02 PM

Maybe when I get finished this thing will hit about 1200 F & cook that crust real crisp.
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 03:28 PM

Trying again

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 03:51 PM

Ok kid forget all this rhetoric when do you open?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.