Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need a new rod
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 03:37 PM
Need a new rod

I just purchased an Avet HX 5/2 fishing reel (been saving all my gift cards) and am looking for suggestions on a fishing rod to match. I will be using this reel to fish for yellowtail off the bajos of San Marcos Island and fishing for dorado/marlin during the summer. What rod would you suggest for this reel? Thanks.

[Edited on 12-26-2009 by drzura]

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 04:00 PM

Seeker 7ft, or 7 1/2 foot, 40-60 line class, I personally like the new Graphite, but they are a little pricey, You will do well with the same rod in E-glass configuration. These are the real workhorses. Check out the rods at Charkbait.com.

Since I custom build all my rods I use that blank on almost all of my rods for yellowtail and have it matched up with an Avet HX. I spool with 80 hollow Jerry Brown line and put 60 lb Berkley big game topshot. That works for yellowtail for live bait and flylining, but you will not be happy if you troll feathers with a spectra / mono combination as you get a lot of twist and are better off with straight mono.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 04:10 PM

I have four different Rods.All excellent condition that I used for several years.
I only fished yellowtail with Penn 500 and 40 lb Test. have one rod will take a 6/o Reel;
If interested u2u me with your email I will send a phot0 and description. You like '

Make and offer

Skeet/Loreto
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 04:21 PM

For that combination of fish, I would personally not want a rod below 7 feet. But I am not a big fan of short, stiff sticks. Yeah, they put lots of pressure on the fish but they put lots of pressure on the fisherman, too. I like a little more flex. You can get 7 foot rods with plenty of backbone to horse fish around.........or let the rod fight them if you want.

You might consider talking to Tony at OC Rods. I know you are on the east coast and his website is rather basic (to say the least) but his rods are excellent and by far the best value you will find. Nice, stiff backbones that you can still use for tossing iron or even a mack. I'm not familiar with his model numbers right now.

http://www.ocrods.zoomshare.com/

Or how about something from the Seeker Black Steel or Super Seeker Series lines I have always found Seeker rods to be a good value, too, but not as good a value as Tony's. Maybe the G6470H-7 in the BS series or the SS 6470 or SS 6470H.

JMO.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 04:34 PM

For a specific rod recommendation, post your question on
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/topiclist.cfm?

Seeker or Calstar for sure; that's a good reel for Hoo and will do fine for YT and YF.
How do you plan to rig it ?

I would rig it with 60 or 80 lb JB hollow and use it for bait or jigging, even trolling.
Splice in the mono of your choice and you're in business !

For lighter use try a Super Seeker 6470H 40 lb
A bit heavier SS6460H 40-60 lb
or with rollers SS660H 50-80 lb.

[Edited on 12-26-2009 by Diver]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 04:40 PM

Hook is right, Tony at OC rods wraps a nice stick and is very reasonable for what you get.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 05:30 PM

I am ready for another heavy rig too.
Can you guys compare the Avet to a Shimono TLD30 2-speed.
I have the Shimono and it's awesome. I have it on a seeker rod but I don't remember the model. But it's a short trolling rod with rollers. The yellow glass kind. It will whip any fish!
I find the shorter rods better for panga and private boat fishing. It makes it much easier to gaff the fish from a panga with a 5-6 foot rod.
On the party fishing boats I use a 7-8 foot baitstick. Maybe even 9 foot.

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 05:44 PM

The TLD 30II is a great, fairly light, reasonably-priced all around reel.
It can fish 60 -80 lb out of the box and 80 - 100 lb with upgraded drags.
It will flat pull a homeguard YT off the bottom but it is not a great casting reel.
If you want to troll and yoyo, the TLD will do fine.
A reel with faster retrieve might be better for yoyo and wahoo but the TLD will work fine.

Do you want a better casting reel ? Star drag or Lever ? Lighter or heavier ?
The difference with more expensive reels is that they will be made of metal, they will have smoother drags and better freespool.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 05:46 PM

Do the spec below look pretty good for my new AVET?
Its a Super Seeker.

SS-CJBF70H 7’ 40-60 FAST 12 1.115
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drzura
Do the spec below look pretty good for my new AVET?
Its a Super Seeker.

SS-CJBF70H 7’ 40-60 FAST 12 1.115

That is a very nice rod and would fit your needs as a bait/jig rod.
Remember, the rating of the rod should match the anticipated drag you will apply to the fish.
For some applications, this will be more rod than you need but for larger Wahoo, homeguard YT and coastal YF it will be da bomb !!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 06:16 PM

I say it's about a foot too long.
What pound test line you going to fish?
I have 50lb mono on my Shimono.
I was hanging some 50lb+ tuna this summer. No problem.
It seems like I could easily go 60lb and the drag would still handle it.
I guess will find out if 50lb mono is good for the San Marcos yellowtail if I make it down there on Monday!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 06:31 PM

Fishbuck has a point for panga fishing.
I am 6'1 and 200 lb and like a 7' panga rod if the boat isn't crowded.
It is also long enough to get a good cast off a larger party boat.
That HX will cast well.
With a 2 speed reel, there should be no problem panga fishing with a 7' rod.

Bucky,
Have you done the drag upgrade to your TLD ? http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=38.0
Next time you spool it, try 80 lb JB hollow to your choice of 40-60 lb mono or flouro.
The spectra will give you more capacity and last a very long time.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I say it's about a foot too long.
What pound test line you going to fish?
I have 50lb mono on my Shimono.
I was hanging some 50lb+ tuna this summer. No problem.
It seems like I could easily go 60lb and the drag would still handle it.
I guess will find out if 50lb mono is good for the San Marcos yellowtail if I make it down there on Monday!

I will be fishing 40 and 50 pound test with my new rig. Give us a nice report when you return from your fishing trip. I may be planning a trip down to San Lucas Cove within the next two months.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 11:50 AM

I have the following rods. all in very good Condition;
Make an offer.

1 Shakespeare Ugle Stik 2120 - 50 Lb.

1 PB 70C 170 Fenwick

1 Pacific Stik Supreme 270 12 30 Lb

1 Varmac RS 2 7ft. heavy butt.

Anybody interested let me know,' I have caught many ,many fish in the 38 years I fished, including an 800 Lb. Shark on the Varmac
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 12:03 PM

Skeet,

Find some needy kid to give them to before they get any older ! :biggrin:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 03:10 PM

I have an 8 ft. stick that I use to throw live bait and jigs a mile but you really do not want to fish that thing all day. A shorter rod gives you more lifting power with less stress. Try lifting 30 pounds with your arm extended and then try the same lift with your arm held close to your body. So a 7 ft. rod is a compromise, it casts pretty well and you can pull a lot of fish up without killing yourself, but when I get tired towards the end of the day and have been pulling all day on monster yellowtail, I usually grab the 6 footer because it is easier to lift with. Since drzura fishes mostly out of his own boat he can decide how much he wants to cast and how much he wants to pull on fish. Most of the time beginners do not try to cast to yellowtail except with jig fishing and in the Santa Rosalia area most of the time they just let a live bait with a slider go over the side to the desired depth and dorado fishing he mentions is pretty much a trolling operation.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 04:37 PM
this was found on boaters world.com

Avet HX (Hoo-X) Reels will prove to be one of the most popular reels Avet has ever made. Avet HX/2 Reels feature a 2 speed gearbox for quick line pick up and low-end cranking power. Avet HX Reels are extremely versatile, perfectly suited for vertical jigging, trolling and casting. With 22 lbs. of drag at strike and 28 lbs. at full, this reel is perfectly suited to mono/spectra top shots. Each reel comes with reel clamps and harness lugs (excluding the HXJ, which does not have harness lugs). HX 5/01 Single Speed is a standard, mid-size reel which allows you to fish heavier line without losing line capacity. Excellent live bait reel and Marlin castor. HX 5/2 is the Two Speed version of the HX 5/01, giving you the high speed gear for line capacity and the low speed gear for more control of your line retrieval rate for the power to turn big fish. HXJ 5/2 Two Speed is the narrowest of this series used for jigging and casting. The narrow width of this reel makes it easy to thumb spool allowing for easy castability and line control. HXW 5/2 Two Speed is the wider version of this series. This reel will allow you to fish heavier line without the use of spectra and wide enough for heavy top shot with enough room for wind-on leader without losing line capacity. Exceptional Marlin castor. *MELTON TACKLE STAFF RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING ROD COMBOS FOR THE AVET HX SERIES REELS: #892111 Melton Tackle FG 3050-66C-SB Florida Gulf Conventional Rod, a great stand-up combo for live bait, Tuna, Jacks, Snapper, bottom-fishing, working weed lines, or, wreck/reef jigging. A powerful, yet lightweight for all day action! #890769 Melton Custom CBG 700M 3050 Calstar Graphiter Jig & Heavy Bait Rod, very lightweight, yet has amazing recoil and lifting power. A perfect stand-up combo for live bait and jigging, this combo will put you on top of your game! #207316 Ocean Tackle International OceanXtreme G3 Jigging Rods Casting OTI-3103-52C, the ultimate in advanced offshore jigging rods, a necessary weapon for the serious jigging fisherman. This stand-up combo will provide heavy-duty performance while staying lightweight for comfortable all-day fishing, this combo will feel like an extension of your arm while having plenty of backbone for landing that fish of a lifetime!

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by desertcpl]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2009 at 06:56 PM

I have a Calstar Grafighter 765L I use for 50lb for yellows either on the iron or dropping down bait. Kicks ass to keep the big ones out of the rocks.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 08:13 AM

I have an Avet HX that I bought specifically for fishing for yellowtail on the local Loreto bajos. I'd been using the slightly larger two speeds, but, as line capacity isn't an issue the HX is a better match. Like Pescador I use spectra with a topshot.

For rods, though, I use a six footer. I've built both a Seeker and a Calstar, both composites. I think the shorter length makes for easier fishing; if the fishing is good you'll feel the one foot difference after two or three fish. Glass rods are good too, perhaps more forgiving and a little easier on the back, but I think the composites are more agressive and I like to pull as hard and fast as I can after the hookset to get the fish as far from the bottom as I can, as fast as I can. Rod building is a hobby and I have plenty, so I don't need to compromise: these rods are not used for casting or "flylining" live bait, and I see no advantage for this limited use for a longer rod.

I use lighter stuff in the summer for dorado and marlin, and lighter stuff if the yellowtail come to the surface, especially over a smoother bottom. Most of those rods are seven footers, with (sometimes) longer rods for tossing lures.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.