Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Italian Restaurant in El Socorro
conchita

Mood: enjoy'n the sunshine

eureka.gif posted on 2-8-2010 at 02:10 PM
New Italian Restaurant in El Socorro

Many of you have probably driven past the huge brown building that sits just off the Highway at the Entrance to El Socorro, well We just opened for Business. The name is Romans Bistro, we are discovering that many don't know that Bistro is just another name for restaurant.

We are open 7 days a week from 7 AM - 8 PM and we serve Italian & American style food.

We have an Italian Espresso Machine that takes a real barista to run, not just a push button kind that you find in most places here in Baja. We use whole bean coffee & grind it fresh for the best flavor. We have Torani Syrups & of course Hershey's chocolate for the best Mocha's south of the border. We also make blended Mochas, blended Chai & Fruit Smoothies. A fresh hot cup of coffee is 10 pesos & Latte's, Cappuccino's, Chai Tea & Mochas are 30 pesos

Breakfast starts at 30 pesos for hotcakes, 35 pesos if you add eggs. Homestyle hashbrowns are made fresh when you order & we have REAL Sausage not just chorizo. Homemade Biscuits & Sausage gravy is 35 pesos, Egg scrambles with hashbrowns & cheese are just 40 pesos.

For lunch we can make individual pizzas or Calzones; pepperoni, sausage, chorizo, ham, combos we have many toppings that we can add, the pizzas start at 50 pesos. We also have several salads, Chicken Breast Salad, Chef Salad, Caesar Salad and of course typical cold sandwiches (tuna, chicken salad). Have you ever had a Pannini?? It's an Italian Hot sandwich that is grilled, our newest is chicken & Bruschetta (we make our own Bruschetta fresh!!) Of course we have pasta for lunch & dinner Spaghetti, Fettuccini, Chicken Marsala & Lasagna.

Dinners include salad & Fresh Homemade Sourdough Bread and there are nightly dinner specials from 4-6 PM

We make our own Cinnamon Rolls $20 pesos, (Cinnabon style), Apple Pies (mini's or slice $30 pesos), Cookies (10 pesos) & Cakes, all from scratch. I have a speciality dessert that I've called a "Baja Bar" (30 pesos) it's like a cheesecake cookie bar, oh I also make Traditional & Key Lime Cheesecake 50 pesos/slice. If you need a special dessert for a special occassion, we can help with that too, special orders are available with 24 hour notice.

We can make just about anything, if you don't see it on the menu please ask, if we can accommodate your request we will. We also have room for large parties or events if you need the space.

We are still putting the finishing touches on the inside, but we have Wi-Fi for our customers, flushable toilets (sometimes we have water pressure issues but we are working on that) We only use Double Osmosis bottled water for the Espresso machine, coffee maker, drinking and of course cooking. Tap water is for toilets & hand washing. We are old-school when it comes to dishwashing, HOT water, rinse & Sanitize everything (we had a restaurant in the states, so everything is still ingrained on food safety & sanitation)

We've been open for 1 Month and the last 2 weeks have been a little slow with all the road damage from the storm but we weathered it well, except for power outage. Even that didn't stop us, we can still do everything on the gas stove, takes a little longer but we can always cook & make coffee.

We also have appetizers that you won't find in many restaurants in Baja; Fresh Crostinis with Olive Tapenade or Fresh Bruschetta, Steamer clams with Garlic & Wine. One of our recent guests suggested we specalize in a local seafood and since Crab is a favorite of mine and available fresh daily, expect to see new items added to our menu from crabcakes to crab quesidillas (we don't have many mexican dishes because you can get those at just about every other place along the highway. We wanted to specalize in something that you can't find here in Baja.

We invite you all to stop by for a taste, we're always sampling something to our customers. If you mention that you are a NOMAD, you'll even get a discount. Currently we are offering discounts to Nomads & Discover Baja members.

We are located at KM 24.2 South of San Quintin on Hwy 1, just about 1/2 mile from the beach & the surfing and clamming is great here.

Did I mention that we have free wi-fi for our customers, the view of the ocean from the dining room is beautiful, sunsets are amazing.

Nightly Dinner Specials are:
Monday - Lasagna Dinner with Salad & Sourdough Bread $85
Tues - Fettuccini Alfredo w/chicken & Zuchinni, salad & Bread $75
Wed - Spaghetti w/meat sauce, salad & Bread $75
Thurs - Chicken Fettuccini Florentine w/salad & Bread $75
Fri - Personal Pizza or Calzone w/salad $65
Sat - Chef's choice - each week will be different
Sun - Spaghetti w/meat sauce, salad & Bread $75
If you join us between 4-6 PM, dessert & coffee are included with your dinner. That's just about the time the sunsets over the pacific!! We are open until 8 PM, most traffic on the highway dwindles by then. As the days get longer.....

If you love good coffee & food stop by for a visit.

Romans Italian Bistro - KM 24.2 South of San Quintin.
email us at Romansbistro@gmail.com or Skype: Romansbistro you can also call us at (619)567-6277 we use Skype

One of the local residents offers fishing trips for about $200 USD per day and you can also rent one of the homes in the beach community for $65 USD/night for the entire house which sleeps 6-7 and has a fully equipped kitchen (bring your own provisions) Ask about discounts for longer stays or multi-day fishing.

We hope we see you soon!!:bounce:
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 03:06 PM

Yum!!! We look forward to dining with you guys in late March!!

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
conchita

shocked.gif posted on 2-8-2010 at 03:40 PM
Did I mention Vegetarian Dishes?

Did I mention that we also serve many vegetarian dishes?

We make a vegetarian Fritatta, which is a Quiche without the crust, made with Eggs & Cheese & Fresh sauteed veggies. Depends on what is available from the local farmers & stores but we use fresh local produce, except Apples, Washington State Apples are world famous & the best for pies!!

Also our Homemade Marinara is vegetarian and so is the Pizza Sauce. We use that as the base for the Marinara with Meat Sauce & Lasagna but it starts as fresh veggies, simmered for hours, pureed to a nice sauce for those who don't need or want meat in their entree's.

As soon as possible we will be adding a special Soup of the Day to the menu, didn't bring any bowls with me so I need to search for some, maybe I'll try making bread bowls instead, we'll see.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 05:47 PM

I truly wish you folks the best of luck to succeed. Something in the back of my brain tells me that your location just may turn out to be a problem. Just wondering who you believe will be your clientele. You are far South of town. Maybe closer to El Rosario than to San Quintin. Not looking to jinx you. Far from that. Just quizzical.

On the other hand, we prefer to stay at Jardines when traveling South. They have a wonderful restaurant that is, unfortunately, not open for breakfast. So, it would appear that folks such as ourselves might look forward to Desayuno en su restaurante.

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by Bajahowodd]
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 06:06 PM
Wish you luck!!

I'll just have to drive slower heading south after filling my belly a Parcela 12 to make room for you folks.

DERN

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 09:11 PM

Sounds wonderful.
Bistro may throw off more than a few, but a good sign will fix that.
Good luck, wish I got down there more often!
Thanks for posting and welcome to the board!
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 01:07 PM

Sounds good to me So when I go and visit my good friends that live there we will try it. Kenny and Gloria and Ken and Rita you know them right?

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 06:03 PM

Conchita, we will be down to try you out this weekend. Do you close at 8:00 on Fridays and Saturday or do you stay open a bit later?

conchita

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:54 AM

To Baja Gringo & all others,

We are open until at least 8 PM. Thurs - Sat, we've noticed more travelers on the roads in the evenings on those days, we certainly won't lock the doors & throw ya out at 8 PM

Show up at 8 PM and you may find us cleaning & preping for the next day so it may take us a few minutes to get re-organized to serve but we certainly will welcome you, after 8:30 if the lights are still on, we're still here!

Look forward to seeing you
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 10:04 AM

best of luck to you...sure wish we had something like that here!!!! Your menu sounds wonderful.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
conchita

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 10:53 AM
Restaurant in El Socorro, distances

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I truly wish you folks the best of luck to succeed. Something in the back of my brain tells me that your location just may turn out to be a problem. Just wondering who you believe will be your clientele. You are far South of town. Maybe closer to El Rosario than to San Quintin. Not looking to jinx you. Far from that. Just quizzical.

On the other hand, we prefer to stay at Jardines when traveling South. They have a wonderful restaurant that is, unfortunately, not open for breakfast. So, it would appear that folks such as ourselves might look forward to Desayuno en su restaurante.

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by Bajahowodd]

Just to clarify location, we are 20 miles north of the Pemex in El Rosario and only 12 miles South of San Quintin.

Trucks & cars are traveling apx. 60 MPH not KM so we need to find a way to slow people down with tempting signs, which we are working on. Unfortunately we lost our "Espresso" signs in the last storm, but just about every sign around went down in that storm. So, we just have to start again.

Right now signs on the building say "Pizza & Wi-Fi", I make a thin crust dough (from scratch of course) and we have lots of toppings to choose from, anyone know where I can find Canadian Bacon here or do I have to get it from the states??

If you are traveling with your computer, we have free wi-fi for our customers so you don't have to use an internet cafe'. We are also networking with local fishermen & hunting guides & local RV parks if you're looking for a safe place to stay with electricity, water, showers, etc... There are several around here that are right on the beach, some not too far off the main highway if you're traveling with a big rig & don't want to journey 5 miles down the bumpy dirt roads just to be near the Ocean. You can even camp on the beach in El Socorro for a small fee, there are no hook-ups but if you're self contained it's not a problem.

We hope that you'll stop in and give us a try.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 11:44 AM

want to slow down someone.. stake out those "ropes" they use at the check points.. what a great idea for an inexpense flexable means to slow down most vehicles..

yeah, I know you can't do that... but, it would work..

thanks for the updated location information. aaahhh you got to be kidding, people driving fast!! .. I kinda know where you are now.. we keep trying to get going South from here just to go looking and if we get down that way.. will see if we can check you guys out... :):)

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 06:41 PM

Stopped by and had breakfast with Conchita and Mike at their new restaurant. Nice casual, family atmosphere, friendly dog (Casey or KC?), hot coffee and a lot of good food for very reasonable prices.

Look forward to going back and trying the dinner menu. Good luck you guys and thanks for being such nice hosts this morning.

Conchita commented on how she recognized me immediately when I walked in the door from my avatar...

:lol:

conchita

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 05:02 PM
New Italian Restaurant in El Socorro

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Stopped by and had breakfast with Conchita and Mike at their new restaurant. Nice casual, family atmosphere, friendly dog (Casey or KC?), hot coffee and a lot of good food for very reasonable prices.

Look forward to going back and trying the dinner menu. Good luck you guys and thanks for being such nice hosts this morning.

Conchita commented on how she recognized me immediately when I walked in the door from my avatar...

:lol:

Thanks for stopping by Gringo, recognized you immediately, what with all that wild hair and all :lol: Hope to see you again soon:cool:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 05:14 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.