BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More roads to check out (west of Puertecitos)?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

eureka.gif posted on 2-8-2010 at 05:44 PM
More roads to check out (west of Puertecitos)?

In another thread, about what lies beyond Mision Santo Domingo, I posted some info on a road that looks pretty major in the foothills of the San Pedro Martir, but is not on any maps we have... Easily seen on Google Earth!

Well, there are others... in fact in an area many Nomads have hoped to someday cross by four wheeled vehicle! This is the region between Puertecitos area on the gulf and Highway 1 between El Rosario and Cataviņa.

The owners of Santa Ynez worked many years building a road to Mision Santa Maria and wanted to continue on to Punta Final on the gulf, but time and terrain stopped construction, 2 miles east of the mission.

The hard core dirt bike riders have the Bill Nichols' trail to cross over on, we four wheelers are stopped by cliffs or boulders. The area northeast of El Marmol looked promissing as a road heads north from the El Volcan road, 2.0 miles form El Marmol and runs for several miles... but ended at an air strip in the middle of nowhere (lucky there was no 'product' shipments that day)!!!

Roy, 'The squarecircle' in a Land Rover LR-3 with help from TW and others was the first Nomad to cross the peninsula using the abandoned La Turquesa grade, (between Gonzaga and Cocos Corner TO Mex. 1 near El Pedregoso boulder hill). Photos of the event on Nomad.

Looking north of El Marmol on Google Earth one can see a major dirt road (and other minor ones) going far north towards Puertecitos. It ends at a mine... next to an arroyo that drains to Arroyo Matomi. The main road to the mine originates at Rancho Aguila (near Guayaquil), just north of Mex. 1.

Also, from this road network it is possible to go west to Rancho Metate and San Juan de Dios. There is also a road that goes right to the slope of Matomi Mountain... with is a few miles south of Rancho Matomi...

Anyway... more Baja to explore... and someday, just maybe, find a shortcut to the gulf from Hwy. 1!

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2010 at 11:05 AM

These roads need to be checked out... TW?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:18 PM

That sounds like a fun project. From the air, Chihuahua and Durango looked so interesting, I would love to cruise above Baja in a helicopter to explore possible routes.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 10:03 AM

I have not been to the mine other than Google Earth but I did try to ride my motorcycle down El Canelo arroyo and Bajalou also tried to go down it in a buggy. You can't go very far due to the rocks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 10:06 AM

It does look promissing, don't you think? Who in Puertecitos has a dozer we can move some rocks with!??

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I have not been to the mine other than Google Earth but I did try to ride my motorcycle down El Canelo arroyo and Bajalou also tried to go down it in a buggy. You can't go very far due to the rocks.

I took Ken Cook and a couple more jeeps with me one time and while not impossible with either buggy or jeep, it is VERY slow going, climbing those rock walls every 2-300 yards. It would be a several day trip to get to the area where the mine is, and then you have to figure how to could climb out of the wash.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 10:15 PM
Buggy or Jeep?

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I took Ken Cook and a couple more jeeps with me one time and while not impossible with either buggy or jeep, it is VERY slow going, climbing those rock walls every 2-300 yards. It would be a several day trip to get to the area where the mine is, and then you have to figure how to could climb out of the wash.

This sounds like fun!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 10:23 PM

Baja has unlimited off roading possibilities!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It does look promissing, don't you think? Who in Puertecitos has a dozer we can move some rocks with!??

tread lightly?
leave only footprints, take only pictures?
responsible offroading?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:02 PM

It is called road building... how people get around to improve their lives or enjoy life... what are you Amish?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:18 PM
My rebuttal to Moutain Goat 666

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

tread lightly?
leave only footprints, take only pictures?
responsible offroading?

If you choose not to tread lightly, your BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires would quickly cease to hold air.:!:

Traveling down this access route made during World War II was much different than in 2007. Mother Nature changed the makeup of this route over the past 60+ years.

If you are not responsible while on these trails, you could easily lose your way, break down, and possibly never get back to Hwy 1.:!:

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by Ken Cooke]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:20 PM
dk is a big yellow taxi?

Quote:
It is called road building... how people get around to improve their lives or enjoy life...

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Quote:
...what are you Amish?

was that intended to be an insult? what's wrong with being amish?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:26 PM

Not paved roads... just pathways wide enough to travel on in a vehicle is fine.

Amish live in the past and reject any technology... LIKE YOU. There is nothing wrong with Amish... but they sure wouldn't be on a computer at 11:30 pm (or anytime)!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:27 PM
Baja Roadbuilders R Us!

Victor holding the winch line

Doing my part to OPEN UP BAJA!:bounce:

This route would have benefitted from having the boulder removed, in order that the go-around would have been avoided.:!:

We'll be back with proper equipment to fix this route.:!:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:38 PM

Quote:
Amish live in the past and reject any technology... LIKE YOU.

dk: perhaps you should learn about the amish before you open your fat yap and say stupid things?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:39 PM
My rebuttal to Moutain Goat 666

Quote:
Quote:

dk: perhaps you should learn about the amish before you open your fat yap and say stupid things?

Did you like the photos, Mountain man?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Quote:

Did you like the photos, Mountain man?

i suppose they are very nice photos, jeep lady

if it was me, i would park the car and hike instead of spending the day moving rocks. but, hey, whatever floats your boat...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 11:54 PM
Hiking Boots along 4WD Trail

TW and I hiked to a cool Native American Site. This Hunting Blind is a 30 min. hike from our secluded campsite at Canyon Jaqueguel

All I need now are a good pair of Hiking boots!:bounce:

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.