BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NORRA Mexican 1000 April 28-May2
geomike
Junior Nomad

Mood: feeling an irresistable pull towards Baja...

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 10:27 PM
NORRA Mexican 1000 April 28-May2

Howdy! are any other Nomads going to the Mexican 1000 this spring?
I kinda sorta mentioned it to a buddy of mine and now I find myself competing in a 1977, 88, 8?, 9? class 8 truck we bought on the Internet! :rolleyes: Yikes well it should be a hoot:bounce:
Here is the truck now:
[/img]

Here it is in its first race (thanks to Mike Doherty the builder)
[img][/img]

Check out Mike's website:
http://home.off-road.com/~maloneyracing/doherty/

You are entitled to your own opinions...not your own facts.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 10:46 PM

That's super! I hope you guys have fun... Wish I was on the team, too!

(Class 6 co-driver, 1979 Baja 1000, First SCORE race to La Paz!)

Photo a week before the race doing a pre-run (I was 22)

[Edited on 2-10-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

geomike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 11:13 PM

Thanks David I saw that picture of you before judging by your smile I guess you guys had a good time!

Classix is definitely the "coolest class (IMO)" There is a thread on race-dezert.com about the restoration of James Garner's Olds by Hickey Racing for the Rally.

This should be big fun even if we don't have a clue what were doing!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:36 AM

I plan on being down there somewhere.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:38 AM

Mike probably wishes he had that old truck to run the race in. His new truck is not ready yet and he doesn't know when it will be ready. Slow work in progress.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:00 AM

Too bad Class 6 didn't survive... and became a mini truck class last year!

For those unfamiliar... Class 6 was for Production 2WD, water cooled passenger cars... 'Modified' for off road racing... I was in a Datsun 510 sedan... roll cage, raised, heavier suspention... basically a Baja race vehicle with the original sedan body and windshield.

SCORE has so many classes now, and many are so un-different for each other that I do not understand them very well!

In my day, there was Class 1 (unlimited single seat), Class 2 (unlimited 2 seat), Class 1/2 1600 (1600 cc buggies), Class 3 (production 4WD vehicles), Class 4 (Modified 4WD vehicles), Class 5 (unlimited Baja Bugs), Class 5-1600 (1600cc Baja Bugs), Class 6 (production 2WD water cooled passenger cars, incl. Rancheros and El Caminos), Class 7 (unlimited mini trucks), Class 7-S (stock mini trucks), Class 8 (2WD pick ups and vans), Class 9 (1200 cc single seat buggies), Class 10 (1200cc 2-seat buggies) and Class 11 (Pure Stock VW beatles).

At some point with 1200 cc parts getting scarce, classes 9 & 10 were changed, and the two 4WD classes became 3 for short wheel base and 4 for long wheel base (4WD trucks). AMC/Jeep was a big sponsor of off road racing... after Chrysler bought AMC (for the Jeep name), the support of off road racing ended and the financial backing to keep Jeeps racing spelled doom for having 2 4WD only classes.

Now, I see there are 4WDs in several classes... and not too many, as when racing at speed, 4WD is not always an advantage... Except in the mud of Calamajue or silt beds!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 05:14 PM

I will be down there somewhere pitting with Mag 7....no details yet on where the pits are going to be. Should be a really fun time!

geomike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 06:58 PM
Race truck insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I will be down there somewhere pitting with Mag 7....no details yet on where the pits are going to be. Should be a really fun time!

Geoff would you please check your U2U

Thank you
Mike

geomike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Mike probably wishes he had that old truck to run the race in. His new truck is not ready yet and he doesn't know when it will be ready. Slow work in progress.

We haven't spoken with Mike yet but he did reply to our post on another forum. Thats how we found out some of the details on the truck! it was cool to begin with and got a bunch cooler when we found some the history!

Lots of stories from past events I'm sure:cool: Thats what I'm hoping for out of all this....good stories, some fun driving, and oh yes don' t break the truck and don't die.:lol:

TW Hopefully we will catch up to you and other Nomads there. Looking forward to it!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 07:36 PM

Mike send this to another site. I chased him in the 1988 Old Girl truck.

From MD:

Yep, its Doherty Motorsports Chassis.

1977 model, I purchased used early 1978, to use as a pre-runner.
(The first truck to wear my Az plate: "PRE RUN")

Converted to race truck, early 1980,
First race = 1980 JD Brand Heavy Metal Challenge, Riverside Raceway

First real results: 1981 HDRA Desert Series, 2nd in class 8 (behind Walker Evans)

Sold in 1987, during the construction of the "Old Girl"
The Old Girl, was built with a brand new cab, and frame, supplied by Chevrolet. (through Team McPherson)
Chevrolet wanted to have the new body style exposed.
She was one, (of only four), of the new 1988 Chevrolets at Riverside.
First race for the Old Girl = 1988 Riverside Off Road world Championships.

Sold 2006 to Jamie Galles (Galles Chevrolet, New Mexico)

[Edited on 2-11-2010 by TW]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:10 PM

Wassup widdat.....Don't they call it the Baja 1000 any more?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 10:01 PM

Dennis, the race was originally called the Mexican 1000 (1967-1972) and run by NORRA (National Off Road Racing Organizatiion) headed by Ed Pealman and another man (Francisco?).

It was so successful, the Mexican government decided to take it over, kicked NORRA out of Baja, formed the Baja Sports Committee (BSC), renamed the race the more common name it was already being called: 'Baja Mil' (Baja 1000), and after running that race, failed to pay the winners their share of the entry fee alloted for the top finishers... gave them a set of Samsonite luggage in place of the money!

They ran one more race... a Baja 500, but nobody much showed up!

The government of Baja California rushed to get Mickey Thompson and his brand new Short Course off road racing organization 'SCORE' to take over the sport... and the very first SCORE race was run in July, 1974 and called the Baja Internacional... a huge success!

There was not enough time to organize a 1000 that year, and 1974 remains the only year there was no Baja 1000.

===================================================

So, NORRA remains 'alive' with new blood... and came up with this re-do of their Mexican 1000 rally of various types of automobiles as a classic event. It is not the same event as SCORE's Baja 1000 (in November).

[Edited on 2-11-2010 by David K]

geomike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Mike send this to another site. I chased him in the 1988 Old Girl truck.

From MD:

Yep, its Doherty Motorsports Chassis.

1977 model, I purchased used early 1978, to use as a pre-runner.
(The first truck to wear my Az plate: "PRE RUN")

Converted to race truck, early 1980,
First race = 1980 JD Brand Heavy Metal Challenge, Riverside Raceway

First real results: 1981 HDRA Desert Series, 2nd in class 8 (behind Walker Evans)

Sold in 1987, during the construction of the "Old Girl"
The Old Girl, was built with a brand new cab, and frame, supplied by Chevrolet. (through Team McPherson)
Chevrolet wanted to have the new body style exposed.
She was one, (of only four), of the new 1988 Chevrolets at Riverside.
First race for the Old Girl = 1988 Riverside Off Road world Championships.

Sold 2006 to Jamie Galles (Galles Chevrolet, New Mexico)

[Edited on 2-11-2010 by TW]

Thanks TW we're piecing more and more together!
I picked through Doherty Motorsports site as careful as I could and I think I found the pictures of the '77 but it underwent several changes!

I think you are telling me that there is also an '88 chassis out there the "old girl". is this her?

[img][/img]

Again..apologies for shamelessly ripping off these photos!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:39 AM

That looks like her. I think his last race in her was the 2005 1000, not really sure. He's been working on a new class 8. He owns a plumming business in Tucson, AZ. Really nice guy with a great wife and son. I don't have his phone number but it may be on the web site, give him a call. If you do, tell him Tom Wimberly said Hi.
geomike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:00 PM

Thanks Tom will pass on the hello if/when we get a chance to. Holy there is a lot on details to figure out before post time on this old horse race!

mike

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.