Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Shock advice...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 02:45 PM

Wesson, are you asking me 'what type'? If so, I need more info... what type of what?

Running on? Like roads? You know what I drive on... the badder the road, the better the destination!

My 2 Ride Rites, my rear 5100s, and all installed at Off Road Warehouse back in 2007 was about $800. Money well spent for the results I got.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 03:04 PM

DK, have down what you're using, .... saw TW post and it sounded like he was using something that could not be broken... was just curious.. right now down to the KYB, and Monroe.. (yeah I know, but life time warranty kinda makes me feel good) and I'm not going to be going where you guys go... just something for this old 86 Bronco.. that is riding on nothing... hits good on pot holes.. really good.. but, will not be putting in "Bilstein's" unless I can get them here in Mexico really cheap... to high priced for me... seeing folks putting a lot of money into shocks.. that could be better spend ...... fishing poles, beer, bait, beer, bait.. you know the good stuff

Must say that the application of QuiteCoat has really knocked down the noise level tremendously.. waiting for the door and tailgate door strikers and rubber for the windows too .. should be "styling" in a while.. really fun.. have only gotten to drive it once in the past 4 weeks.. over 1000 miles and it has not used any oil..

After the shocks and rubber.. that is it.. the radio works.. what else can one ask for.. plus it has wind wings.. the best thing old cars used to have.. Immediate cooling... having fun, and thanks to all.. and all the dogs just love it too.. hanging out the back.. baking there butts off... :lol::lol:

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 06:10 AM

TW.

That sounds like a lot of stuff, but most of the items seem small and light.

What rig are you loading this into? What is the estimated weight.

when I come back from a townrun... I have 8 5gallon water jugs I fill, 6 6-gallon fuel tanks, a Big white cooler, a bottle jack, a tool box, a full size spare, 2 people, a few boxes of canned goods, and usually a box or two from homedepot and a 50# bag of dog food .. tire pump...etc

This all is inside a 1991 4runner, which is also a fairly heavy rig. I run Old Man Emu Shocks, Springs and torsion bars, they are made in Australia for expeditions in the outback and work excellent in baja, and the system runs $700...if you install it yourself...which took me about 4 hours.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 10:23 AM

The truck is a 2004 GMC Z71. I have not weighted it but the tool boxes are about 100 lbs and 50 lbs. The fluid box is also about 50 lbs. The portable winch box is about 75lbs. EZ up, high lift jack and water tank maybe 75 lbs. Spare wheel is a LT285/75R16 on the rim maybe 75lbs+. Two gas cans full 70 lbs. Ice chest 50 lbs when full. Various other misc items 100 lbs total. Spare bike 300lbs. About 900 to 1000 lbs with the bike. That's in the bed. If I have my camping gear (two people) add another 100 lbs. Plus any fire wood.

I should add there are two people in the truck and room in the back seat for another depending on when we change riders etc. If we're chasing we usually leave our bags in the hotel room if we have one otherwise they come with us.

The truck has a 2 inch leveling kit installed by Performence Off-Road here in Bakersfield. It included new torsion bar keys, upper A arms, different idler arm, sway bar spacers, modified Rancho shocks and add a leaf in the rear.

[Edited on 6-13-2010 by TW]

[Edited on 6-13-2010 by TW]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
I have Rancho 9000's. Living in Baja our truck has spent a lot of time on washboard lately and they seem to be holding up. I have a question though, everyone seems to rave about Bilstein shocks. What makes them so much better??

Just thought I'd resurrect this post to say my Rancho 9000's blew out after only one year of full time Baja use. One front, and one rear. When I removed them, it sounded like broken glass inside and they had zero resistance. They have about 180 miles of washboard, and around 4500 miles of pavement. All Mexico. Not a very good track record. They have had some weight on them as we towed our cargo trailer a couple times down during the move, but I'd think they would last longer than that.

Based on what I've read here and gearhead websites, I just installed Bilsteins. Hopefully they will last a little longer.

Now I can agree with the previous posts: "Stay away from Rancho's"
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 09:56 AM

Some of our Ranger vehicles in the Southern CA desert had "RANCHOS", and we had problems with them, also. From being too stiff which destroyed frame components, to just blowing out like yours did.

I have Bilstein's & KYB's all around on my personal 4x4's with no problems yet. (8 years +)

Just MY experience, of course.

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:15 AM

Bilstein has an external reservoir shock 5150 that fits many trucks and I understand they have a new one coming out that's better that is being tested on a chevy of a friend of mine and will be available the end of the year or early next year. Fox also makes an external too in the $200 range. The external is a much better shock if you do a lot of off road driving.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:18 AM

Another vote for Bilstein and KYB's. We have KYB Monomax on our F250 currently and they work fine. Can't speak to their longevity though, as they have been on only 10,000 miles. The Bilsteins lasted 60,000 miles.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 01:07 PM
Don't skip quality over price

If longetivity is your biggest concern, why not purchase a set of rebuildable King shocks? They are now made to OEM specs for non-lifted vehicles and can be rebuilt when the time comes. They aren't cheap like Ranchos, but can be serviced by either you or a technician when the time comes.

Ford King OEM Shocks:
http://www.kingshocks.com/ford-oem/

General Motors King OEM Shocks:
http://www.kingshocks.com/gm-oem/#tabs

Jeep King OEM Shocks:
http://www.kingshocks.com/jeep-oem/#tabs

Nissan King OEM Shocks:
http://www.kingshocks.com/nissan-oem/#tabs

Toyota King OEM Shocks:
http://www.kingshocks.com/toyota-oem/#tabs

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 01:32 PM

Air bags are the way to go, to increase payload. Put them on my 06, F150, and carry a 1500 lb popup with my wife and I and all of the associated "necessities" to Baja and offroad with no problem at 75 psi. They raise the rear end up, off of the springs, and there is no sway whatsoever. When empty, at 10 psi, the truck rides like a car again at home. Good to know about the Bilsteins, as I'm comming up for a shock replacement.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 06:03 PM

The King shocks are expensive. For my GMC $800 each. Some of the Fox shocks are rebuildable too.

I'll post a link to a comparison between rebuilding a Fox and a King shock as soon as I can find it.

[Edited on 12-13-2010 by TW]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.