Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arizona to San Felipe, New Short Cut
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2010 at 09:43 PM
Arizona to San Felipe, New Short Cut

First a public Muchos Gracias to Beercan for taking some much needed cement board to my casa so that the tile work could be finished before we arrived today.

Second, another public Muchos Gracias to Beercan for telling me about the new 195 south route to get from I8 to San Luis. This road is awsome and I think it shaved 15 minutes off of the trip. If you are coming from Phoenix or places east of Yuma, you just exit south on Araby Road and stay on it until you get to 95 in San Luis. I think there we a total of about 3 traffic lights for the full 20 plus miles.

A great time saver:bounce:
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 11:46 AM

So when you do that, where do you enter the border? Do you still go to Algodones? I sthere a San Luis border crossing?

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by edm1]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 11:48 AM

Enter at San Luis Rio Colorado, then toll road toward Mexicali.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 11:50 AM

Thanks Bajalou. I could use this when it's time for the Shell Island return to baja later this year.

Art

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 01:17 PM

okay,, you enter san luis.son,, then how do you get to the new toll road to Mexicali
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
okay,, you enter san luis.son,, then how do you get to the new toll road to Mexicali

Turn right at the first lights in San Luis RC (almost immediately after you cross). That's Hwy 2 to Mexicali and Tijuana. There's a toll on the bridge in a couple of miles. Before Mexicali, follow the Cuota (Libramente) sign towards Tijuana/San Felipe, and exit after about 5 miles at the San Felipe Hwy 5 sign (toll, around 12 pesos). Do a u-turn under the road you've just left and you are now on Hwy 5 heading south. This avoids most of Mexicali.

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 02:54 PM

Sorry for the delay, but yes, what everyone else said. I estimate that it saved me 15 to 20 mins.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 03:50 PM
Visual aid

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 04:54 PM

We prefer the rout through Guadalupe Victoria. Nice and quiet. little traffic, pretty. But it is not a freeway/toll road. probably slower.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 06:11 PM

I also like the slower route through Guadalupe Victoria. Stop for some great carnitas and Fanta along the way. See the progress of the growth and harvests on the farms along the way. Radish and onions near Algodones, wheat, corn, cotton, and many others along the way. the topos are there but if I'm not speeding along, no big deal. Watched them dig the trenches, lay and weld the pipe from near Algodones most of the way to Mexicali for the natural gas pipeline to the big electric plant in Mexicali. now it's all covered back over and they are farming the land again.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The map does not show the new I 195 However, if you find Araby Road off of I 8 it will take you onto the new road.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 09:28 PM

Right, not a super new map, but it does show the Libramente Mexicali... it is the latest AAA map, 2007.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:19 AM

I would take the toll road right now. Most of the smaller roads were hurt bad by the earthquake and they are not repairing them at the moment. they are working on 5 mostly. Drove thru some of the roads last weekend and it was amazing how bad they were. reminds me of the early days
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.