BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trophy truck-style tire is my next purchase!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 07:49 PM
Trophy truck-style tire is my next purchase!

I finally found a decent article on-line about the new General Grabber tire. Here goes...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Building upon the wild success it has attained in only a short amount of time since re-entering off-road competition in 2008, General Tire announced today at SEMA 2008 in Las Vegas that it is bringing its off-road competition technology to the light truck market with the introduction of the new DOT legal General Grabber.

The new off-road addition to the Grabber family, the General Grabber is engineered with rugged good looks and race-proven performance. A tough, three-ply reinforced body construction and a race-proven Duragen tread compound is designed to stand up to the rigors of off-road as well as highway conditions. General Grabber’s optimized tread design and multiple tread edges work to deliver great side bite and lateral traction – especially in off-road conditions.

The General Grabber’s aggressive, self-cleaning tread pattern includes continuous tread blocks and precisely spaced lugs with a high void ratio to actively protect against the threat of tread damage. General’s patented “Strake and Chamfer” technology allows the General Grabber to dig into muddy terrain. Puncture resistant sidewalls and a specially designed rim protection rib have been incorporated to assure the tire can stand up to any terrain.

The General Grabber is designed to perform on the highway and on the streets as well. General has engineered the Grabber with what it calls AMST – Acoustic Modulation Sound Technology – a sound wave suppression technology that works to reduce road tires noise.

“We’ve taken the best elements from our wildly successful Grabber Competition tire and re-engineered it with a balance of off-road capability and on-road manners for today’s light truck market,” said Travis Roffler, director of marketing, General Tire. “This is a true off-road enthusiasts tire – engineered to deliver equally strong on-road and off-road performance.”

Roffler said that the production tire, which will be available for sale in the third quarter of 2009, will be negligibly different than the prototype shown at SEMA.

“The tread design will change a little bit [on the production tire],” Roffler said. “The look and feel of it will be very similar to our [Trophy Truck] competition tire.”

The General Grabber will be available for sale in the third quarter of 2009,” Roffler said that General plans to offer it in 14 of the most popular light truck sizes, including wheel diameter sizes from 15 inches to 20 inches and tire diameters from 31 inches to 35 inches, thus hitting the most popular fitments in the marketplace.”

For more information on the General Grabber and the rest of the General Tire line, check out GeneralTire.com.

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:02 PM

Whats the price on those bad boys? in say a 33" and a 35" on a 15" rim
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:03 PM

4WheelParts will sell the tire exclusively until August 1st!

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/TC3/Light-Truck

Born from competition, this tire has been developed by the most skilled engineers and tested by the best off-road racers including Carl Renezeder and BJ Baldwin.

Features:
3-Ply Construction
Reactive Contour Technology
Race inspired sidewall design
Acoustic Modulation Sound Technology (AMST)
Patented Strake & Chamfer tread Pattern

Benefits:

Race proven 3-Ply construction provides driving confidence under the world's most extreme conditions

Even tread wear throughout the life of the tire

Multi-angled sidewall protectors help prevent punctures

Competition inspired red letters

Sound wave suppression that works to reduce road noise

Delivers deceptively high levels of traction in both mud and silt

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:07 PM
Very little info at 4wheelparts.com -- the guys at Americas Tire says they're doing brisk business with them

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
Whats the price on those bad boys? in say a 33" and a 35" on a 15" rim

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T30/Grabber--Sold-Exclusive...
Specs:
33X12.50R15LT 33" O.D. Weight 66.6# - 12.5 (10.0) 8.5 - 11.0 18/32 630 2205

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:08 PM

My next tire on my Rubicon is going to have "Go Baja Jeeping" written all over the thing. That's why I'm buying this tire. Hopefully, it balances well...or, better than the Interco TrXus MTs I've been running the past 100,000 miles (sorry, Interco).

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:10 PM
General Grabber prices found!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/General-Tires-Grabber.aspx?...

torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 07:34 AM

dang, I just looked up my size - the friggin most expensive $388.00
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 07:34 AM

Thanks Ken, I read the article in one of my magazines nd was impressed... I seriously want to hear the noise created on the highway with them... They have the size I would use: 265/75-16 for $202.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 09:24 AM

Ken get em and let us know how they work out. Sand, trails, rocks and highway.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken get em and let us know how they work out. Sand, trails, rocks and highway.

I'll run my warped TrXus MTs until later this year, and then I will buy a set in early '11. I want to run these for Baja Grande (April '11), and I will let you know exactly what I think.

I'll be selling (getting rid of) 6 or 7 TrXus MTs by the way...

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 07:10 PM

$198 for a 35"x12.5x 15" ....thats a deal....If they were $388....it would have been that a f$%ing ripoff.

Only question I have is Can you buy them in BCS?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
$198 for a 35"x12.5x 15" ....thats a deal....If they were $388....it would have been that a f$%ing ripoff.

Only question I have is Can you buy them in BCS?

Do you have a General Tire distributor in BCS?

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 07:50 PM

Not sure...I will have to see when the time for new tires comes around. Given the number of racers here I would image general would be trying to promote them here.

Hopefully you'll have a set mounted on that rubicon by then and can share your experiences with us.

I will mount them black out, as I do with all my tires.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 06:24 PM

I was able to see these tires at the 4 Wheel Parts Truck Fest today, and they look like GREAT desert tires, but without side lugs and stress tears on the race tires' lugs, I decided to go with a well-known brand instead.

[img][/img]

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 06:41 PM

NICE KEN, NOW YOU ARE READY FOR BAJA,,,HOW MUCH THOSE SET YOU BACK.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
NICE KEN, NOW YOU ARE READY FOR BAJA,,,HOW MUCH THOSE SET YOU BACK.

I didn't buy any tires yet. I am going to run my TrXus MTs until the end of 2010. In early 2011, I will make my purchase.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.