Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pros And Cons
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 08:01 PM
Pros And Cons

The time is coming to reach a decision on a motor for the boat I will be taking to La Paz. I have been told in the past that Yamaha carbed 2-strokes were the way to go in Baja, as parts and service were best. We are talking about a 90-125 hp motor on a 19cc that will see a lot of hours. I am looking at trade-ins from freshwater bass boats, repowering to 4-strokes. Yes, mileage counts, but more so durability and parts-service access. How is Honda service in La Paz? Any suggestions welcomed!:light: Lead me oh wise Baja boating wisemen.:?:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 08:07 PM

Here we go again, Honda, there are probably more Hondas now than any other motor in use in this area, La Paz Has service for all motors I believe. I just saw today Ace Hardware is selling Honda's.:bounce::bounce:

The past has past!

[Edited on 6-8-2010 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 08:27 PM

2 stroke is too noisy when your goal is to enjoy the peace and time boating and talking with friends, go 4 stroke, talk it up.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 09:05 PM

Any newer 4-stroke is big bucks. I'm poor.:yes: If I have a book and parts I can fix it. As with cars, my business for 30 years, F.I., computer controlled systems need interface tools for diagnostic/repair. My $10k Snap On scanner is useless on outboards. Any Honda or other 4-stroke owners out there who can give me an idea on routine maintainence that I'd need a dealer for?
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 11:27 PM

Bajabass, I have purchased 7 Honda Generators (EU1000 & EU3000), replaced my 2005 Honda Civic with a 2008 Honda Pilot and I ride a Honda Four Wheeler, they have all performed above my expectations. With all of that in mind, I purchased a Honda BF40 for one of my boats, what a worthless piece of *&^%^%%. I have had nothing but trouble with it over the past 6 years. JH
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:30 AM

I raced Honda motocross bikes for years. Honda cars have been so trouble free for my auto biz customers, that I bought a 2009 Element last year for my wife. Their outboards are new to me though. Anyone else with longterm Honda outboard experience?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 06:00 AM

i see alot of those EU's breaking
valve problems

even though i think these are the nicest when running
the cheap replaceable ones run longer

i'd go BIGGER
maybe 150hp 4-stroke
you NEVER have enough "power":yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 08:11 AM

I've had a 15 caballos honda outboard for 15 years. No problems

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 12:23 PM

Injected or carbs?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 04:06 PM

Ok, here is the real skivvy. The newer injected engines do have some real serious issues with the dirty gas here. Because I use the motor a lot, the only solution is to go to a 2 micron fuel filter which will not let anything pass in the gas that will plug up an injector. The only fuel filter that will take out water and go to 2 micron is a Racor Diesel/Gas filter. Even with that filter, I still have to take down the high pressure injection pump every 1,000 hours and clean all the screens, and pre filters. Not real complicated for someone of your mechanical abilities, but very necessary. Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and rear end grease have to be changed every 100 hours. Water pumps should be changed no less frequently than every two years.
I had a 4 stroke carburetor engine before my current one and all it ever took was an oil change and transmission lube change, and I had a 10 micron fuel filter that worked very well.
I am leaning toward a carburetor Yamaha when I repower and know that there are a few issues with the motor, but I think I can save some problems with the fuel issues.
The Yamaha Enduro is a great two stroke, and the motor that is considered the workhorse of the peninsula. Honda made some inroads, but that was mostly because the co-ops were able to get a really good price on a government program through their fishing co-op. I would never consider a Suzuki on a high hour usage boat as they are simply not holding up in the same way the Yamaha or Honda does.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 04:14 PM

Good motor site.

http://www.boatmotors.com/rebuilt_outboard_motors/

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:10 PM

I vote for Yamaha 2 stroke. I have a 25hp and the mix ratio is 100:1. My decision was based on all the pangaderos( commercial fisherman) whorun them hard, don't take care of them, leave them on their boat for the entire season, don't flush them, run them up on the beach...while they are running( Poor water pump) and they keep on going. There are also tons of parts and service. and the majority of the fisherman can work on them.

As far as quads go I have a Yamaha Grizzley 450 and have had 3 Hondas..2 ranchers and a rubicon foreman.. the Hondas were better.

On generators a Eu2000 ran our house for 3 years..no solar at that point. the previous user hadn't changed the oil for 2 years and it is still running with a different owner.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by classicbajabronco]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Ok, here is the real skivvy. The newer injected engines do have some real serious issues with the dirty gas here. Because I use the motor a lot, the only solution is to go to a 2 micron fuel filter which will not let anything pass in the gas that will plug up an injector. The only fuel filter that will take out water and go to 2 micron is a Racor Diesel/Gas filter. Even with that filter, I still have to take down the high pressure injection pump every 1,000 hours and clean all the screens, and pre filters. Not real complicated for someone of your mechanical abilities, but very necessary. Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and rear end grease have to be changed every 100 hours. Water pumps should be changed no less frequently than every two years.
I had a 4 stroke carburetor engine before my current one and all it ever took was an oil change and transmission lube change, and I had a 10 micron fuel filter that worked very well.
I am leaning toward a carburetor Yamaha when I repower and know that there are a few issues with the motor, but I think I can save some problems with the fuel issues.
The Yamaha Enduro is a great two stroke, and the motor that is considered the workhorse of the peninsula. Honda made some inroads, but that was mostly because the co-ops were able to get a really good price on a government program through their fishing co-op. I would never consider a Suzuki on a high hour usage boat as they are simply not holding up in the same way the Yamaha or Honda does.

outstanding information on a lot of things... thank you very much

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:34 PM

I've got 2 Hondas now. 15hp for the tin boat and it is really cold blooded. I need to run it for about 10 min. and it'll stall out. after that it runs flawlessly. The other, a 3000i generator that has never had a quirk or problem. But it's a little bigger than I need so will trade it for a 2000i if any one is interested. The reason is the 2000 will still run the casita and a bigger AC than I have now and run all night. And it's more portable. The Yamaha 100 OB I had is a great motor but if you don't use it the jets well gum up and you need to clean all the carbs. A pain in the a$$. As Pescador mention many with the injected OB's are having troubles with the fuel down here and the finer filters seem to help.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I've got 2 Hondas now. 15hp for the tin boat and it is really cold blooded. I need to run it for about 10 min. and it'll stall out. after that it runs flawlessly. The other, a 3000i generator that has never had a quirk or problem. But it's a little bigger than I need so will trade it for a 2000i if any one is interested. The reason is the 2000 will still run the casita and a bigger AC than I have now and run all night. And it's more portable. The Yamaha 100 OB I had is a great motor but if you don't use it the jets well gum up and you need to clean all the carbs. A pain in the a$$. As Pescador mention many with the injected OB's are having troubles with the fuel down here and the finer filters seem to help.

where you at Russ? In Baja or shell beach? I got a really nice 2000 i'll trade you if your 3000 is good shape.

I am in the los cabos area. If are close or want to trade u2u me. P.s. It's not the one I mentioned above:lol:

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by classicbajabronco]
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 08:33 AM

I have a 115 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Been running it for 8 years not one problem. Just the usual maintainance(plugs, oil and filters). That being said most of my pangero friends down here are still using the 85hp Yamaha 2 stroke enduros. They are very simple machines and run forever. They also get amazingly good gas mileage. Oh and they are a hell of alot cheaper than a 4 stroke! Suerte c

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.