Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kelp Beds
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 05:46 PM
Kelp Beds

As a complete newbie to fishing (surf fishing in particular), I was hoping to get some help. During a recent off-shore trip near Ensenada, we dropped our lines just outside a huge kelp bed that extended for what seemed like a couple miles out to sea and ended next to the cliffs near the campground where we happened to be staying. We were so close, in fact, we could see my van parked on the beach. While we couldn't see the kelp bed from land, it seemed like it extended to within a hundred yards from the rocks bordering the campground when seen from the boat. I was just wondering if it was a mirage or if it is actually possible to fish that same kelp bed from the shore? And, if so, what type of fish should we expect and what types of bait should be used. I am thinking about buting a 9 foot pole and wonder if that will be long enough to cast over 100 yards.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 06:00 AM

you'll bet tyring to cast to a spot the size of your van 100 yards away... sound do-able? i think you'd do better with a smaller rig 10-15 pound line and just scour the rocky coastline and beaches.....

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 06:06 AM

Casting over 100 yrds.:?: That would be a neat trick.:D
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 06:07 AM

Are you refering to the kelps in Sausipuedes? The large bay north of Ensenada?
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 07:45 AM

You need something that floats to get you out there. Try a long board, kayak, float tube, maybe a giant rubber ducky. The fishing is very good in that bay.
The new LPG plant might change it.

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Casting over 100 yrds.:?: That would be a neat trick.:D

Not really, the distance casting records are pushing 300 yards. With a quality 13'-15' rod, a quality conventional reel like a Newell, an average Joe with a little practice should easily be able cast 100 yards or more.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 11:14 AM

Small surf casting competitions were held in the 60,s around Long Beach CA and 100yd casts were common place,I and my buds entered every now and then,using 10' 12"calcutta cane with Penn 500,20# with a 50# shock leaders,with a little practrice 100 yds came often for us:D

Forgot you needed a plastic spool as well,keep in mind that is with a sinker alone no hook and bait.
Rob
If you back lashed you could throw it a mile:lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info, 100yrds sure seems like a long ways to toss a bait.:D
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 05:55 PM

No, bajabass, we were camped at Saldamando (8 miles North of Ensenada)and saw kelp to both the north and south of the beach area.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 06:26 AM

Yes, that campground is in Sausipuedes. The large bay just north of Ensenada, and a few miles south of my house in La Mision. The fishing can be good at times, but the bait boats strip the area on a regular basis to feed the tuna pens! The kelp and weeds come very close to shore, making shore fishing a fight with constant snags. I would recommend a kayak!
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 11:14 AM

Sounds liike you know the spot, bajabass. So, it wasn't a mirage that the kelp came in that close to shore. I wanted to try my hand at some perch/corbina in the surf and then drop my line out by that kelp and see what happens. Any suggestions on bait, etc? What types of fish would I be targeting and do you suggest north or south of the beach area? Thanks for any help you can offer!
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 11:20 AM

A lot of that vegatation is weeds, not kelp. I throw swimbaits 90% of the time. Pick up some frozen squid. Use strips on your swimbaits, chunks on a bait rig. Just keep moving till you get bit! Good Luck!!
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 02:09 PM

Thanks for the great info. I appreciate your help!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 04:39 PM

look for the most rugged area of that rocky beach (think rocky points, structure) that goes deep real fast. cast all around those ares and wait 5-10 minutes. if no bites move 50-75 and try again until you find 'em.

briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 02:22 AM

I'm still learning about different kinds of bait, lures, etc. for those situations. I'm thinking this will work for those kelp/weed areas off Saldamando:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010X8X46/ref=oss_product

What kind of rig would I use with a swimbait like that on those rocky points? How do I hook them?

Again, I am a total beginner and appreciate everyones help.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 08:13 AM

start with 2 hooks 18" apart with a 3-4oz sinker 18-24" below the bottom hook. get some squid or shrimp and cut the shrimp in 1" chunks. cut the squid in 3-4 " strips.

start casting. only let it sit for a few minutes. if the fish are there you'll know it. if not, move around. it's not like they can smell your bait and every fish in the bay will hone in on it......

swimbaits take some skill to get the casting/retrieve right. save that for later.

edit: get a 7-8' pole.

[Edited on 9-4-2010 by woody with a view]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 08:18 AM

better yet, hire a panga. the boys will dial you in to these toads..... plus they know how/where to get them. the learning curve is much shorter.

100_3869.jpg - 44kB

briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 12:55 AM

Again, thanks guys! I ended up buying a cheap 7' rod/spinning reel combo. I plan on using the setup Woody suggests and learning a few knots to tie with. As for the panga, I am just looking for something to do while camping on the beach. Went out of Ensenada last month on a 32' boat and brought in about a dozen rockfish/sculpin/seabass. That was fun, but sitting on the beach with a beer and listening to the game also sounds fun... and cheaper! I appreciate all your help. Plan on getting down there soon so I will probably be back with more questions.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 08:16 AM

pangueros like to drink too! it just gets funny when you gotta whiz. don't forget the wd40. unscrew the reel and handle and get it everywhere!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.