Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Road from Mikes Sky Ranch to Meling Ranch
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:43 PM

The Toyota traction systems were designed to control the vehicle on curves and slippery roads. There effectiveness off road is just a bonus so to speak.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:48 PM

If the car/truck manufatures could design an ABS system that works off road I would be really impressed. GM has the best just pull the 60 amp fuse in the engine compartment. That allows the proportioning valve to work where the 10 amp fuse by the drivers dash side doesn't.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 11:56 PM

The ABS is disabled when you are in Low Range 4WD on the Tacoma. I would have liked it also to not work in 4-Hi on my 2005... It is much much better on my 2010.

The '05 would almost crash into things as the brakes wouldn't brake well on wet or dirt roads... dealer said that was 'normal' for ABS. The '10 has been great.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) uses TRAC, but has seperate duties and sensors and prevents the truck from spinning out of control if driver over-correction occurs at speed.

The driver can diable the TRACTION systems if he desires open differential running with free spinning tires... otherwise:

2WD TRAC (limited slip, with engine regulation) helps the truck move from a stop by reducing tire spin.

2WD AUTO LSD (limited slip, without regulation) helps get moving from a stuck. Like Posi-Traction, very helpful for those with 2WD only trucks.

4WD TRAC (limited slip, without regulation) helps keep the truck moving through unequal road surfaces.

4WD A-TRAC (almost no slip) keeps the truck moving over surfaces that would otherwise halt movement.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

lol.gif posted on 9-18-2011 at 06:27 AM
HELP!! I AM GETTING CONFUSED!!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The ABS is disabled when you are in Low Range 4WD on the Tacoma. I would have liked it also to not work in 4-Hi on my 2005... It is much much better on my 2010.

The '05 would almost crash into things as the brakes wouldn't brake well on wet or dirt roads... dealer said that was 'normal' for ABS. The '10 has been great.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) uses TRAC, but has seperate duties and sensors and prevents the truck from spinning out of control if driver over-correction occurs at speed.

The driver can diable the TRACTION systems if he desires open differential running with free spinning tires... otherwise:

2WD TRAC (limited slip, with engine regulation) helps the truck move from a stop by reducing tire spin.

2WD AUTO LSD (limited slip, without regulation) helps get moving from a stuck. Like Posi-Traction, very helpful for those with 2WD only trucks.

4WD TRAC (limited slip, without regulation) helps keep the truck moving through unequal road surfaces.

4WD A-TRAC (almost no slip) keeps the truck moving over surfaces that would otherwise halt movement.

I am so happy that my Jeep includes none of this MOMMY-tuning from the factory in OHIO. The Honda that I drive occassionally has so much MOMMY Hen-pecking from the factory, that you cannot make the front tires spin out! BOO!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-18-2011 at 10:22 AM

A spinning tire has no traction my friend (and a rolling stone gathers no moss) :lol:

Don't be affraid of new technology... and as I said, you can turn off the traction controls so you will have just plain old open differentials where the tires with less traction get the power... plus the Off Road Tacoma still has a locking rear differential.

Spinning tires also damage the terrain, making ruts and increasing erosion... All I can say is don't knock it until you try it. The A-TRAC allows me to go places with confidence... and that is key as I usually don't go four wheeling in groups like you do, so I need a vehicle that will not break down or get stuck!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:14 PM
No more All-Terrain tires on a road like this for me!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
John M has a 4WD Tacoma, so he has the upper hand of off road able trucks!

I would think, Mike Leon Jr. would have used their tractor to scrape the washouts after the winter rains.. But, until a Nomad we know can post details and photos of the road heading up the mountain from Mike's, it is anyone's guess. The washed out bridges are from accumilated water flow at the base of the mountains, near the coast... Mikes' is at 4,000 feet, quite a ways up the water flow, damage would be less, as the streams are smaller. For sure, they can be mud and boulder slides to deal with... as at Rancho Concepcion's road (not too far south of Mike's).

I'd love to hit that trail. Maybe in May when I have time off. My Rubicon is getting new tires early next year, so with enough support, I wouldn't mind doing it.

In my Ford Ranger, I slipped past the boulder that blocks part of the route. My spotter (Gretchen) got real nervous since I had open differentials and near a cliff, I began to lose traction. No more All-Terrain tires on a road like this for me.:!:

This is why I bought the Rubicon with factory lockers (front AND rear) in order to handle sections of Baja trail like this. I also plan on running a capable Mud-Terrain tire with extreme traction in order that my runs are safe.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.