BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tides, Kayaks and Estuaries
HeyMister

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 01:24 PM
Tides, Kayaks and Estuaries

I may be kayak fishing Estero de coyote and some other inshore spots in baja sur next week. I've been advised to be sure and watch the tides. OK, so I've printed out the tide charts for Bahia de ballenas and Guerrero Negro. What exactly are the implications of this for a kayak fisher in the estuaries? I will generally glance at tide charts to choose safe launches, i.e. try not to launch at low tide on the rocky shores etc. Also, I try to be on the water at high tide for fishing purposes, but generally I just fish when I can. What am I looking for here and what are the safety concerns?

[Edited on 8-31-2010 by HeyMister]
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 01:34 PM

Tide goes in, you go in.
Tide goes out, you go out.

Estuary and rivers amplify this effect.

If you are trying to get back to your starting point against the tide its much harder, plan to use the tides to take you somewhere, be there for slack tide, and use the change in tide direction to take you back.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 01:37 PM

Also remember that kayaks only go down hill in winds over 15mph.
GEMcC5150
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 02:12 PM

low water in Estero de coyote can mean a long walk back... I know we been there. Campo Rene good start and stop point. Have fun
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 02:16 PM

The water with the tides can drag you around and out to sea if you don't pay attention to it. Some Esteros are a pain at low tide because you bottom out on some sand bars. Use your sea anchor rope to walk your yak if you have to. I tend to fish the outer waters and worry about waves and wind. Assume that you will have a on-shore wind most days that will pick up by about 11:00 I would rather use sea anchor and slow my drift down than try to paddle up wind to get to the fishing grounds. Humping a yak across the rocks is a bit of a pain, so consider the tide if putting in in a rocky beach.
The tides are pretty slack next week so there isn't much to worry about.
My biggest concern is following the kayak is on a low tide and getting caught on the rocks. "Following" is the term I use for holding on the back of my yak while I land it in surf.
I hope you have a great time and enjoy the adventure.

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 02:43 PM

At Estero Coyote the best fishing is generally at high slack tide. If you plan on paddling into the inner parts of the Estero an hour or two before and then working your way back out an hour or two after the high tide you won't have any problems with grounding and will get the best of the fishing. Be careful of sting rays when launching your boats and wading around. I have had the best luck either trolling rappalas or pulling the boat up on a sandbar and casting crippled herrings or krocodiles into the channels. There should be a lot of corvina this time of year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.