Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tijuana Weekend, Some Very Good Eating
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 01:52 PM
Tijuana Weekend, Some Very Good Eating

From poster eatone888 at Chowhound.com

"Arrived Saturday, lunch at Carnitas Uruapan, Gustavo Diaz Ordaz 12650, excellent carnitas served with tortillas, beans, chilies, cilantro, onions, limes and a couple of salsas. The salsa rojo was strangely flavorless, but otherwise everything was excellent. The carnitas were crispy at the edges and very tasty.

Saturday dinner was at La Differencia, Blvd. Sanchez Taboada 10611-A, Zona Rio, and it was fantastic. The place is very pretty, comfortable, the service was impeccable. Fresh chips and salsa came to the table. The salsa verde had some bite and a truly great fresh flavor. The black beans were very good with a nice porky taste, once again the salsa rojo didn't have a lot of flavor, but was better than at lunch. We started off with Crepas Huitlacoche (which they spell Chuitlacoche). They were truly incredible, perfectly thin crepe pockets - almost more like dumplings - stuffed with a lot of huitlacoche and just enough Oaxacan string cheese. They were served on a roasted poblano cream sauce that was amazing. We were drinking it with a spoon at one point. For main courses, my friend had duck - kind of duck carnitas - served with a tamarind sweet and sour dipping sauce, cilantro, onions and freshly made blue corn tortillas and it was fantastic - crispy on the edges, moist and tender, flavorful. I had a chile relleno stuffed with crab and topped with a tomatillo cilantro chile verde sauce that was great. The chile was lightly breaded and perfectly fried, the stuff was perfect. We had wines from Baja as well that were surprisingly great. I had a fantastic Tempranillo from the Santo Tomas Winery. I have got to try and find it in the U.S. My friend had a Cab that was a bit unusual but nice, not as nice as the Tempranillo though. For dessert, the flan was excellent, the only low point was the coffee - espresso would have been perfect but they only had fairly week brewed coffee.

Breakfast, at the recommendation of the bellman at our hotel, the Pueblo Amigo - nice enough, clean, reasonably priced - was at a place called Super Antojitos in the Plaza del Rio shopping center. Fresh orange juice, good coffee. I had the breakfast Mexicano with chiliquilles verde that were superb, served with fried eggs, rajas and beans. Just what I needed. My friend had the Azteca - ham on top of a tortilla with fried eggs, sprinkles of bacon, avocado, a light chile rojo and excellent tripas on the side, as well as beans. I will definitely be back for breakfast again the next time I'm in Tijuana.

We spent about an hour walking around the Mercado Hidalgo, which is a great market - some really unusual dried chile powders - especially green ones - and then we had tacos at Tacos El Gordo just outside the entrance to the market. The al pastor was good, but not as good as I remember it being. It had an odd, white, slightly creamy spicy salsa on it that kind of hid the taste of the meat. My friend liked her tacos cabeza very much.

All told, a good weekend and some very good eating."

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 02:35 PM

Carnitas Uruapan was thee place to eat about 40 years ago. Sadly, they no longer fill the place like before. I know that their prices are outrages. My last time there I paid $25.00 for a kilo de carnitas and the accompanying nopal salad and salsita.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
From poster eatone888 at Chowhound.com

who?
difficult to trust anonymous reviewers. with the local papers in san diego at least i know who is good reviewer and who is untrustworthy reviewer.

i always discount reviews that compliment everything. if they found nothing less than excellent, perhaps they have bad taste or no sense of taste.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 02:51 PM
Dear SQ

I have been to Carnitas Uruapan and in my humble opinion, they suffer from being a service place to the high rise buildings and hotels near by. Convenience, not quality.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 02:59 PM
To mg+666, Which I Believe is Your Own Perverse Idea of a Sense of Homour

Chowhound is a naturally, self leveling and self-deflating forum, that calls BS when it appears, much like Baja Nomads.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
I have been to Carnitas Uruapan and in my humble opinion, they suffer from being a service place to the high rise buildings and hotels near by. Convenience, not quality.

You've awakened a carnita craving, Jan. Back in the day I remember carnitas Uruapan would cook the pork outside in these gigantic copper ollas. We would stand outside with the cooks and have a beer while conversing with them.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 05:01 PM
Carnitas Craving

Hi SQ73,

Please tell me where they do the old school, copper-pot-version these days.

TIA, GJ

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 05:25 PM

I see it done in San Quintin at a carnitas place but I've never stopped. The guy has his ollas outside and then stuffs the carnitas in a taco cart. Doesn't look to clean.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Hi SQ73,

Please tell me where they do the old school, copper-pot-version these days.

TIA, GJ

Carnitas Ruben on the west side of Paseo Playas de Tijuana about 1.5 miles south of the bullring. I think it's 120 pesos per kilo but that could be 1/2 kilo, not sure. I always buy the tacos for 14 pesos each. 2 and you're full. Great stuff, lots of salsas, corn tortillas, chiles, etc.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 06:47 PM
The best!!!!

Carnitas La Flor de Michoacana in Rosarito

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.