Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico and Colombia are nothing alike
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-26-2010 at 02:31 PM
Mexico and Colombia are nothing alike

Reading the Los Angeles Times this morning, I was reminded of the items I read in my Lonely Planet guidebooks, the newspapers, and websites of Colombian news outlets. Here is a great article that discusses the smiliarities that Hilary Clinton brought up, but were shot down by President Obama.

http://mexicoinstitute.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/why-mexico-i...

Car bombs. Political assassinations. Battlefield-style skirmishes between soldiers and heavily armed adversaries. Across big stretches of Mexico, deepening drug-war mayhem is challenging the authority of the state and the underpinnings of democracy. Powerful cartels in effect hold entire regions under their thumb. They extort money from businesses, meddle in politics and kill with an impunity that mocks the government’s ability to impose law and order. As the death toll from drug-related violence nears 30,000 in four years, the impression that Mexico is losing control over big chunks of territory is prompting comparisons with the Colombia of years past.

The Colombia comparison, long fodder for parlor debates in Mexico, gained new energy this month when Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the tactics of Mexican cartels looked increasingly like those of a Colombia-style “insurgency,” which the U.S. helped fight with a military and social assistance program known as Plan Colombia that cost more than $7 billion.

But is Mexico the new Colombia? Comparisons took on a new urgency after the statement by Hillary Clinton, but a careful look at tactics, targets and the nature of the foe shows they’re apples and oranges. As the Obama administration debates what course to take on Mexico, finding the right fix depends on getting the right diagnosis.

Colombia’s main leftist rebels, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known as the FARC, waged war in the name of Marxist ideology, calling for an overthrow of the traditional ruling oligarchy. In contrast, the main aim of Mexican drug gangs is to move merchandise without interference from authorities.

During the worst days of Colombia’s bloodshed, cartel hit men and guerrillas carried out spectacular bombings and assassinations that targeted judges, politicians, police and businesspeople. Mexico, despite a steadily rising death toll, has seen nothing of that nature. Cartel gunmen have killed scores of police and some prosecutors. But they have not been targeted as part of a sustained effort to topple the government. Most of the killing stems from open warfare between heavily armed cartels.

In Colombia, U.S. policymakers put military advisors and special forces troops on the ground to address a drug problem that was largely based on production — one that could be attacked in large measure through wide-scale eradication. But in Mexico, where the problem is equally one of breaking distribution networks, a Plan Colombia-style military role seems far less likely

read more
http://mexicoinstitute.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/why-mexico-i...

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-26-2010 at 03:18 PM

Ken

Doesn't the dope that the Cartels are moving come from Columbia? If it does what has really been accomplished in Columbia?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2010 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Ken

Doesn't the dope that the Cartels are moving come from Columbia? If it does what has really been accomplished in Columbia?

The article states that the growers migrated mostly across the border into Peru where the Shining Path (Marxist Group) operates. When I was in the Peruvian Amazonan highlands (no pun intended), the Peruvian military and Police were continually scouting regions due to their war w/terrorist elements and drug growers - practically one in the same.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2010 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Ken

For starters, billions of our tax dollars down a rat hole.

And your point is well taken. Although the Mexican cartels deal with a substantial amount of homegrown product, it is true that they are also the facilitator and transporter of the Colombian stuff. Just don't know when anyone in power is going to be willing to admit that it is demand that fuels supply and not the other way around. We could nuke Colombia off the map. Hey, maybe do the same to Mexico. At the end of the day, there will be someone out there who sees the lucrative opportunity to supply the incessant demand in the US.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-26-2010 at 04:23 PM
Anthony Bourdain Visited Colombia Recently

He reported that he saw hope and rebirth.

I really recommend watching that episode of "No Reservations". It made me cry and smile.

[Edited on 9-27-2010 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2010 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Perhaps it that we call the discoverer Columbus and Spanish speakers call him Colom ?

Colon [accent over the 2nd 'o']

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-27-2010 at 04:47 AM

cartegena may just be my kind of town! can't wait to visit. i hope Ken is there then.

the drug war can never be won and is a huge waste of money.

prohibition never worked and neither will this so called war on drugs.
and i am a conservative minded guy! but going more libertarian daily.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-29-2010 at 10:09 PM
Colonoscopy Musings

Colon, Colom ? Does ANYBODY Know ?

More importantly, Does Anybody CARE ?

Will Knowing Change Anything ?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2010 at 10:14 PM
Here's a great example of a movie that explains the meaning of this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Colon, Colom ? Does ANYBODY Know ?

More importantly, Does Anybody CARE ?

Will Knowing Change Anything ?

Firefighter Gordon Brewer's (Arnold Schwarzenegger) family is the "collateral damage" of a terrorist bombing in Los Angeles. When the U.S. government turns to peace talks with the perpetrators instead of justice for his family, Brewer heads to Colombia intent on payback. But when he meets the wife (Francesca Neri) and child of his family's murderer (Cliff Curtis), nothing is as it seems, and all hell breaks loose in true "Ah-nuld" style.

[Edited on 9-30-2010 by Ken Cooke]

tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2010 at 10:55 PM

Some call it, Locombia

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.