Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Trinidad La Ribera
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 11:08 AM
La Trinidad La Ribera

For those of you who have never visited La Trinidad in La Ribera then it's time that you did.

I have traveled Mexico for over 45 years and this is one of those rare jewels, an oasis, which on occasion one finds, on the road to the final sun set.

The RV Park consists of many pristine sites, each with its own flowers. There are full hook ups here with water, electricity and sewers at the ready. One wakes to the sound of birds, amazing birds, a regular aviary for birds. Mrsfish just this morning amazed us with photos of a male road runner, in breeding plumage feeding its young. Hummingbirds and Gila Woodpeckers abound. This is a birders paradise with two estuaries on the property.

It is clear that much attention has been given to infrastructure; a bathhouse consists of maybe 8 spotless, tiled shower/toilet facilities with more than ample hot water and a separate laundry facility.

There is a swimming pool on site that has easy access from all RV sites.

A very nice restaurant/bar is here and within arm’s length are multiple bird feeders where one can observe many species of birds with your favorite libation in hand. The restaurant is now open Friday, Saturday and on alternative weeks on Sunday for a brunch. Tomorrow its bbq ribs and the next night its steak and lobster on the menu. We have yet to sample the restaurant but plan to do so tomorrow and will report on the fare.

Mike, the owner is nothing if not a consummate host who is very attentive of the quality of this place.

Now for the kicker, this place is empty!! We are the only RV currently occupying this place aside from what appear to be a couple of trailers that have been left here for the summer. It is amazingly quiet here and one can see the stars at night and awake to the sound of the roosters in the small village that abuts this place.

I asked Mike about why he is empty and he tells me that this is the very beginning of his season and that mostly Canadians have been coming here. I ponder the question “do Canadians know something that we do not know?” I suspect that this is so. There is so much fear in the US right now about Mexico. Some of our fiends held on for a nanosecond longer in their goodbyes as we left for the Baja, a look in their eyes that said “will this be the last time?” I guess that most do not think about the fact that most Mexicans are about the same banal concerns that occupy most of our waking thoughts, “What are we going to have for dinner, will I get enough money to pay our bills, can I set aside enough to pay for my children’s clothes, books, special school outing? I heard a bad sound in the car; I hope it will last long enough for us to afford another. What do the neighbors think about us now that……?” These are the issues, the concerns of most people here in Mexico, what they think about, the drug cartels and their business is not theirs any more than the machinations of their government. Their issues here are those related to the relative positioning of their small fishing boats, pangas, on the beach, are they all getting an equal chance to launch first? The plants are drooping, they need water today.

The world of the television and its 24/7 “news”, fear cycle, do not affect them here, only the exigencies of weather and tide. People take time here for each other and for the idiot gringo in their midst who stumbles over so many time honored protocols. We are welcome here, Buenos dias, tarde e noche, good morning, afternoon and evening, buen provecho, have a nice meal. The faces are open and the change is right, every time. We are glad that you are here among us their demeanor says. We are glad to be here too.

We have traveled down here in comfort and security, aided along the way by pleasant, helpful border guards, friendly faced young military people at the traffic stops and have stayed in places that are the aspect of Sunset Magazine Layouts, and we are alone.

Maybe this situation, in all its perversity, will be good for Baja, maybe the decreased fishing pressure will help promote regeneration of depleted stocks, the turtles have returned here to La Ribera in numbers unimagined in recent history. Maybe this time of respite from the hordes of travelers here will help the place return to a more peaceful, relaxed lifestyle that has existed here for many lifetimes and generations. Times are hard here and it is of course easy for me to make such lofty speculations as my income is not dependent upon the tourist dollars, but in the long run, maybe, just maybe we all will appreciate each other more and appreciate this wonderful, magic land and all it has to offer.

Pictures will follow once Mrsfish and I sort out how to post them. We plan to be here in this wonderful place for the next two weeks mas o menos.

Iflyfish
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:01 PM

yup, yer right about mike's place....he has toiled in all the right spots...the setting in his place is just fab!..have fun down there and try to get out to the lighthouse at greylight for some just "off the charts" beach fishing...if you've not been out there, you are missing a real jewel of an angling experience...take your 8wt and chase those grande pez gallos and jacks.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:07 PM

what a beautiful description of a baja jewel...thanks for that Ifly...I can just see Diane out there with her camera stuck to her face!!! cant wait to see the pics.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:18 PM

So Great you are having such a good time. It was really great meeting both of you and Chayo says THANK YOU and he looks forward to meeting you in person when you pass this way.

Can't wait to hear about the mainland part of your trip---we so need to get back there.

jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:38 PM

Much thanks amigo , a wonderful thoughtful post
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:45 PM

Sounds like a place I need to spend some time at. Quiet, relaxing, and good fishing from the beach. Thanks for the report sir!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 12:47 PM

We always try to make it out to Mike's place while we're in the area, it definately is an oasis. The food is always good, awesome sunday buffet and entertainment on the weekends at dinner time. It's worth it to drive out just to see the birds if anything else.
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:35 PM

Where is it?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:44 PM

it is near San Jose del Cabo which is near Cabo San Lucas, if I am not mistaken. I have never been there but boy, sounds like we should go soon !!

Ifly - have you been to tha waterfall in SANTIAGO ??? where there is a pool to swim in ? You go to Santiago, then follow the signs to SOL DE MAYO. Pay about 50 pesos or something and after a 5 minute hike you reach the pool ... it is such a nice setting and so amazing to see where the water for L aPaz and Cabo comes from !! Take a picnic lunch and enjoy. Need to beg steal or borrow a car, tho". Ain't gonna work in a large vehicle ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 01:51 PM

La Ribera
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 03:08 PM
Turtle release

Mr. and Mrs. Fly just missed the first turtle release on our beach but they will get in on the next ones. Here's a shot of 600 of the babies being lovingly nudged into the surf by volunteers from the village. Only 12,000 more to release but the mommas are still coming ashore in the night to lay more.

600 turtles Nomad.jpg - 47kB
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 03:14 PM

Any surf spots nearby??

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 04:27 PM

La Ribera is just south of Los Barilles between La Paz to the north and San Jose del Cabo to the south.

Thanks for the heads up about the surf fishing.

We have met some wonderful people here and the hospitality is heart warming and gratifying. I am so grateful for Nomads and the doors that it has opened!

The beach here is long and the water not very deep, just great for walking and swimming, the water temps are like your standard geriatric arthritis pool, in the 80's. The difference is that the people are much better looking and spry! I have not seen any good surfing beach here, but I am a neophite to this area, others might have some better idea than I about this. I do know that this area is a wind surfer's paradise in the winter and that they migrate here like one winged butterflies on their way to their nesting grounds in Los Barilles. It is the wind and the company of other like minded folks that bring them here, others curse the breeze as they once did in Hood River before the wind surfers discovered it and turned those lemons into lemonaid.

We are very excited to see the release of the turtles, a miracle of sorts that we are fortunate enough to witness in the right place at the right time. There is magic in Mexico! The godess bless those far sighted souls who have faught for the protection of these ancient creatures, their and your efforts are coming to fruition.

By the way, Mike has some amazing lore on the Baja and I hope one day that his recollections are captured by someone who writes better than I.

Iflyfish
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 04:45 PM

wonderful post-many thanks
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 08:33 PM

Osprey !! Loved the pic of the turtle release !! Who is running that program ? How cool is that !!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Any surf spots nearby??

Pacific side - try Todos Santos.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 09:03 PM

besides surfing - Todos Santos had an amazing number of arts and crafts stores - each one better than the next .... from local artisans to stuff from all over Mexico.

and good food.

Come visit La Bocana

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 07:00 AM

Blanca, the turtle protection is done by Groupo Tortuguerra and volunteers. They dig up every nest they find, move the eggs to a protected nursery, control the release 45 days later. Without their efforts the eggs would fall prey to nest robbers, traffic, weather and natural predators. These are all small, juvenile Ridleys and probably first time layers. On our beach they made nests in places very vulnerable to inundation by wind and tides.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 07:31 AM

In the picture the turtles are the ones closest to the water.

Iflyfish
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Any surf spots nearby??

Surfing exists south of La Ribera, as you turn south the entire changes as it opens to the south exposure bringing more waves. Popular spots are Zacatitos, Zippers, Old Mans etc... tends to be better in Summer but often surfable on long boards. La Ribera is north of Zacatitos on the coast road by about 20-30km.

In Winter, Nov-May large wind waves hit on shore at La Ribera and are surfed with kites and windsurfers.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.