Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yellowtail are hot in Bahia Assuncion
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 09:59 AM
Yellowtail are hot in Bahia Assuncion

A great day fishing at Bahia Asuncion. Thanks to Juan Arce and Shari, we enjoyed a wonderful day on the water fishing. Drove down from San Diego making pretty good time, no problem at all along the way. The highway is kind of rough with some construction past Ensenada, but after that clear and fast sailing. Checked into the Beach House on Saturday night, then thankfully we were able to bring a nice dinner from the Tide Pool restaurant. The abalone crunchy rolls, fish burrito and the fish and chips were great as well as the beer. Slept like logs with the waves crashing close by and awoke to a beautiful sunrise.

Monday morning we headed out soon after dawn with Juan, the four of us ready for fish. Juanita, the photo journalist, Jessica, Jake and Tio Miguel, me. The swell was big at the start but went down as the morning went on.

We were keen to try out our new butterfly lures which were rigged up for us up in San |Diego. We were not experienced fishermen when we left that morning but quickly became converts for Bahia Asuncion fishing. Juan was very helpful lending us equipment that was well set up for jigging. He knew where the fish were biting and where we could tie into a bunch of yellowtail. The day started well with snagging a pile of bass that were perfect for frying up, and then hit some huge sheepshead that warmed us up for the yellowtail. Started out with a few good 20 pounder yellow tail that were nice fish and tired us out pretty good. We skipped lunch and kept fishing through as every time the lure hit the bottom and came up, we caught something. Ended up with some 7 yellowtail, with a granddaddy 25 pounder to end the day. Had to fight them up until we got so tired bringing them in that it took 3 of us to catch one of them.

The photojournalists sharp eye spotted a huge whale, probably a humpback, about a ¼ mile from us spouting off then showing its tail quite nicely.

The butterfly jigs were a success for sure and worked well bringing in the big ones. Next time, we have to bring a bigger rod. We thought that the two speed rig would be good but the reel was just not big enough to make the job easy, especially after catching so many fish.

So load up the trucks and head to Bahia Asuncion where the weather is great, Juan and Shari better, and the fishing quite good.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 10:07 AM

Gracias, Tiomiguel..

Count me in. Will be there with fishing partner/camp cook around 1st of December.

Do not alarm shari of my coming...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 10:58 AM

I just saw this on Facebook...I think this video should be called..."How can ya tell we're from Ontario eh"...pretty funny...could use a bit more gaff practise....amazing that YT got into the hold!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FFng-ZFsd8

[Edited on 11-2-2010 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 11:22 AM

That was great!!:lol: We need more of that intertainment.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 11:30 AM

great news, always looking for hot 'tail....:saint:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 03:12 PM

Gosh, that was funny.

She reeled that fish right up to the top guide!! Lucky it didn't snap the rod tip.

The camera angle wasn't bad either. :cool:
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 05:47 PM

She was so focused on cranking on that tiny reel that she did not notice how high it was. Some say that's try sportfishing, catching on a small rod and reel, but I call it reel work.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 07:34 PM

Glad you're having a great time Mike! When are you headed back to Canada?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 07:43 PM

stretching fish lips..... love it!

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 11:24 PM

Congrats, Tiomiguel, et al. I have got to make a run over there to see Juan and Shari. It seems like a great time.

As for the young lady in Shari's video, she is a trooper. No woosie she.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 07:25 AM

That's my daughter in law and you are right, she gets right in there for sure. You should have seen her then cleaning the last yellowtail for practice, then cooking it up after a 10k run on the beach. Zak, you would love her.
On our way back to San Diego for them to leave on next Wednesday, then we leave on Thursday. No Christmas in Baja this year Boo hoo, but the weather is spectacular right now.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 09:14 AM

I hear there is a part 2 & 3 to that video...I look forward to seeing those tonight!!! Jess is an outstanding sportswoman, good pal and buff to boot!!!
Today they snorkel with sealions...hope they get some good footage of that too.

OK, here it comes...the token grandson photo...this time with my photographer sister in law Jano!! It's been great to share Izaak with family.

DSC06690-2.JPG - 47kB

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 03:50 PM

That video is funny! Usually guys don't give up their rods so easily. I recognized that gaffing style, as its been used on my boat before.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 04:03 PM

Just curious, but what kind of 2 speed reel was not up to catching 20 lb yellowtail?

Suspect that it was more of a drag issue, unless you are referring to the reel being too slow a retrieve to jig with.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 04:21 PM

oh man....today was the nicest day of the whole year!!! here is a sample of today's fish faces...same old same old for today's fishing...excelente!!

DSC06700.JPG - 47kB

Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 07:42 AM

No just a very small reel, with a fairly short rod and an inexperienced fisherman probably more than anything. I will check the drag though, good point Hook.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 08:33 AM

Now wait a minute, did you say abalone crunchy rolls:O:O:O:O:O
We're experiancing Tide Pool withdrawls. Crunchy Elk rolls just aren't cutting it.
Lionel

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.