sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I wonder where they're getting all this money? Times are supposed to be tough. :?:

One of those "shovel ready" projects the US stimulus package funded?

It's what one political party does when losing it's grip on power nationwide.

Bugman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 10:46 AM

I just went through there and the Ensenada-Tecate route on Saturday and other than being a bit slow here and there it was no big deal. I would probably avoid it during or shortly after a rain though. I did that Tecate stretch last year in the rain and it was a royal mess. :cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 11:12 AM

It would be great if folks would note the actual mileage of the dirt detours (as to how long they are or total up to)... Thanks!

Dennis' secret friend said the Tecate-Ensenada hwy. construction (a 16 miles section) was 85% finished, last week... that means only 2.4 dirt detour miles... Then BajaBoy just posted yesterday it really 'bites'???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Dennis' secret friend said the Tecate-Ensenada hwy. construction (a 16 miles section) was 85% finished, last week... that means only 2.4 dirt detour miles... Then BajaBoy just posted yesterday it really 'bites'???

He's just a modest, humble Nomad since 2003 who doesn't want to post at this time.
We need a third opinion on the road work.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 11:39 AM

10-4, I know there are lots of lurkers or former active Nomads who just don't want the hassle of dealing with 'them' others... :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 12:19 PM

which "others"?

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 12:27 PM

I went through both roads in July and in November. Neither was bad enough to keep me from going again. I will make 1 more trip at Christmas. I think there is more dirt than Dennis's friend made it sound, but I do not log the miles or gps routes, maybe on the next run.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 12:29 PM

Maybe something like this would clear it all up on roads.... we classify them... this has worked really well on Terrorism, I think.. :lol:

[Edited on 12-3-2010 by wessongroup]

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 06:43 PM
South of El Rosario Highway Construction

Pictures from July located HERE

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 07:24 PM

I can see where folks who have no experience on anything other than blacktop might view this "construction" as really bad. Now having been driving Hwy 1 since the mid 80's, these 'construction' areas, are like driving on clouds. So lets stick with reality. They 'ain't bad'!!! I'll be traveling them beginning in the morning, and will report on them as we progress.
(depending upon where the wi fi signals are. We'll get to Loreto first night. San Quintin second night. Oceanside third night. Danville fourth night OOOOhhhhhhh, wait. No one cares about Cal highways. Sorry.

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by Phil S]
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 06:08 PM

Hey Phil; when you get a chance (WiFi) --- and if you haven't already passed by --- I neglected to get construction zone photos near Loreto this summer. Again, a major bridge/arroyo construction project. I believe it was south of Loreto? Maybe north. Memory is unreliable and field notes are incomplete. It looked similar to the major work Vincente Guerrero & el Rosario bridges work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
I'll be traveling them beginning in the morning, and will report on them as we progress ... get to Loreto first night. San Quintin second night. [Edited on 12-6-2010 by Phil S]
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 06:20 PM

I drove the Maneadero stretch on Sunday afternoon, when it was dry. Not a problem. A few weeks earlier, after some heavy rain, it was a tad slick in spots.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GilandVal
We left the RV in Ensenada to check out the drive to San Quintin . . . the highway construction was so massive that it would have messed up a lot of things in the RV, no less the truck. We have decided to wait awhile! We took pictures but do not know how to upload them here. The construction began a little before La Canada RV park and lasted around 12 miles.

Drove the length of Mex 1 for the first time last week with truck and tow RV. Worst section was free road section just past Tecate. Construction slowed us down as there is quite a bit in Northern Baja. Might be different if if rained.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 10:15 PM

Drove through in September and didn't think it was that bad. Just annoying. I think the posts stressing not driving through during rain is good advice.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 10:32 PM

The construction zone south of Tecate was way way way worse.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
I drive thru on a 30' RV with 20' trailer every month with no problem, just drive a little slower. As for the flagmen, these are very poor, uneducated, often illiterate, human beings trying to earn their $10.00 per day to feed their families. I cannot fathom laughing at them, I always wave and sometimes even render a salute.

I was not laughing at these folks, rather I fear for their lives... and was laughing an unbelieveable dangerous situation which no one on the crew saw as needing any additional attention for vehicle coming around that bend at 60-70 miles per hour .. suppose I could have just observed and not thought anything, but I did... usually do, for sure with CalTrans, and and others that work on the road ways... those we make jokes about... and tell them at parties.... about "GOVERNMENT WORKERS" being stupid, lazy.. always standing on their shovels... hard thing of the day is finding a new coffee shop ... ...

These poor guys and gals are not trained and are exposed to extremely dangerous working conditions, no safety gear and get extremely low pay, like just about everyone that works for living down in Baja if they are lucky they make ten dollars ... and I always try and give them a chance ... to keep living.. by going slowly and giving as much attention to driving down in Baja as they deserve under such working conditions... plus consider also that 80% of all highway accidents in Mexico are the result of improper vehicle maintance ... real nice place to be, some where people are going to be making emergency move... due to improper advance warning of Highway construction at times by the individuals preporming same...

Poor training and the poor pay was not what I was laughing about.... rather a situation that was prone for disaster...

You are to be congratulated... that you drove safely and prudently some do not... an I wave and say Hi too...

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 09:51 AM

Anyone here have some photos of this wash during rain season?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 09:57 AM

The Highway south from Tecate is Mex. 3... for about 65 miles until it joins Hwy. 1 just north of Ensenada.

karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 11:51 PM

I will be heading to Cabo on my KLR around Jan 11 or so-thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
I rode through last week and didn't think it was too bad. An RV would have to take it's time just like all the big rigs. It was fun on my motorcycle (klr650) and realizing my advantage passed many, many other vehicles. Topes are fun too. The road south was in great shape all the way to GN. (OH! - A dangerous curve surprises you at the long bridge south east of El Rosario, a sharp right turn before the bridge across the wash) You don't take the bridge, you take the wash for now.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.