Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 30x9.5x15 tire availability
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 08:54 PM
30x9.5x15 tire availability

I'm shopping for some new tires, NOB, as my current Michelins are now 8 years old.

I only have 15 x 6.5 inch rims and cannot really afford new rims, in addition to new tires.

My door placard lists p235/75/15 XL as the tire of choice.
I have a 6400 GVRW and probably come in about 600 LBs under that when I cross the border.

I've been running LT 235/75/15 Michelin XCX APT's for 70 k miles and 8 years. They have well over a thousand miles of washboard on them aired down to 30 psi(50 psi max). They have taken some serious abuse, never got punctured, and still have a ridiculous amount of tread left, but the sidewalls are very cracked/ UV damaged.

I was considering a slightly bigger tire such as the LT 30 x 9.5 x 15, but if/when I shred a tire SOB, how difficult will it be to find that size as opposed to the seemingly very common 235/75/15?

Also, I've been considering the Firestone Destination AT.
Anybody abuse these tires on Baja's washboard and have a durability report, or another recommendation?

This will be on a Dodge Camper Van. I want at least the offroad performance my current Michys have given with some Highway manners too.

I will not be considering BFG K/O.

Thanks for any input you care to offer.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 09:09 PM
Check out

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.js...

landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 09:37 PM

Thanks.

I've spent hours reading Tire reviews and comparing surveys on Tirerack. I wanted some opinions on how the Firestones hold up in Baja, since that is where I mostly plan to abuse them.

I can get exact opposite reviews on Tirerack, and I question the intelligence and application of the reviewers. With the common use of spell check, I have to use grammar to throw out someone's review, and that could certainly be a flawed methodology too.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 09:49 PM

Have you considered LT 245 / 75/ 15's??? If they will fit within your wheel well, (check also when turning front tires lock to lock). This size tire will give you more flotation, are a common size, and perhaps will give you what you are looking for. Since you will not consider BFG KO's (great tires) then I would stick with the brand that you have had such good luck with. Also, make sure that the 245's will fit your narrow rim (that info I don't have at my fingertips).

Reviews are so subjective that it is tough to get a good read-out on what tires are best. (I LOVE BFG KO's and have them on all 3 of my rigs).

Barry
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:15 PM

Tire rack lists no 245/75/15

They do list the 245/75/16's.

It appears my current tires that I have been happy with were made for Sears and 1 other store by Michelin. They no longer make the same tires. I'm trying to figure out if they were designated as AT tires or not, and if the LTX AT/s or LTX MS/2 will be as surprisingly durable.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by landyacht318
Tire rack lists no 245/75/15

They do list the 245/75/16's.

It appears my current tires that I have been happy with were made for Sears and 1 other store by Michelin. They no longer make the same tires. I'm trying to figure out if they were designated as AT tires or not, and if the LTX AT/s or LTX MS/2 will be as surprisingly durable.

Oooops, my mistake--------I use 16 inch tires, so confused myself.

Barry
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 01:22 AM

No worries Barry, I'm pretty good at confusing myself on occasion as well.

Like now,

I'm thinking about the Kumho Road Ventures SAT KL61 which rate highest on Tirerack, but I know a couple people here love their Toyo Open Country AT's and found some very competitive prices on those which have me drooling a little bit, but on another forum someone reports that the Firestones were the best AT tires he ever bought, and on another forum, a Firestone horror story.

Arrgh.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by landyacht318
I'm trying to figure out if they were designated as AT tires or not, and if the LTX AT/s or LTX MS/2 will be as surprisingly durable.

I had a set of the Michelin LTX on one of my trucks that got almost 60,000 miles !!!!
That's compared to around 45,000 miles max from any other tires I have used on a full-size pick-up.
Michelins are the highest mileage tires I have ever used !!
Spendy but good tires.

I have Toyo Open Country AT on both of my trucks now and my wife's Grand Cherokee and they are good tires. Not quite the mileage of the Michelins but good for the price.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 10:05 AM

Go here to calculate the various tire and rim sizes.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.