Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sisters and back
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:43 AM
Sisters and back

Just got back from a great run into the baja. We kicked off about 3am on the 4th and made camp somewhere deep in the sisters by sundown. The weather was awesome and the swell was enough to surf everyday for 6 days with 2 epic sessions and 4 good ones. We used LBmaps on a garmin to nav and have to report that while it was not perfect, it definitely helped us make some of those critical "left or right?" calls that can sometimes eat up an hour or more on the wrong track. So that was a keeper. It was hands down the coldest trip I can remember - my Co-Pilot will attest to that I'm sure.

We listened to the chubasco net every morning at 745 to get the weather updates for our region - something I highly recommended. We used a Grundig G5 radio and a 100 foot 14 gauge wire I ran up a hillside and connected directly to the antenna of my radio. It increased reception DRAMATICALLY. We heard AM stations all day and night and scores of Ham radio conversations that gave us a constant supply of listening material during our Gin matches and c-cktail hour(s). And every morning at 745 we got a detailed weather report for baja - a huge bonus.

On our way back we experienced the aggressive "regalito" pressure from the checkpoint north of El Rosario, but all in all we made record time through all check points headed north and all but the last were more pleasant than normal.

I used a spot locator for this trip and sent a OK message every night to the wife and kids. I think they were very happy to hear we were alive and well every night and the kids got a kick out of seeing where we were camped on google earth (sorry, that's classified info for everyone else!). Another seed planted for their own baja obsessions.

All in all, a GREAT run into the baja with all hopes met beyond expectation. Till next time!

Big Z will probably post some pics in the near future.

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 12:14 PM

I'll second all of that. Another epic run.

Bajamatic failed to mention that midway through the trip one midday, we heard the distant buzz of a chopper and soon enough, one of 'em crested a ridge in the distance and gunned straight for us. I'd heard this mentioned a few times in other posts, but was still unprepared for how aggressive it was, zooming straight for our isolated camp and doing a low circle. You could almost hear one of the dudes inside lowering his binoculars and announcing, "Nah, just two old surfers playing cards by a pile of last nite's Tecates."

Not quite close enough to see the whites of their eyes...but not much further:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 06:27 PM

we were somewhere this past thurs-sun. just a quickie for my birthday on the 8th. we saw that same chopper twice. now the cartel turds have something to really think about.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
we were somewhere this past thurs-sun. just a quickie for my birthday on the 8th. we saw that same chopper twice. now the cartel turds have something to really think about.

They're probably buying some sholder fire stinger missles as we type.......worked well for the Taliban against the Soviets courtesy of Charlie Wilson......those were the days:bounce::bounce:....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 08:56 PM

What makes you think the chopper did not belong to the cartel? Something to think about!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 09:09 PM

if there was a chopper flying around daily i would bet (anyone?) the govt would shoot it out of the sky. it would only take 2-3 reports for the govt to investigate.

but, it is mexico....

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 06:42 AM

Bajamatic, what time zone is that 745 broadcast of the Chubasco net? Is that Don on Summer Passage's weather report?

I generally much prefer Geary on the Sonrisa net. Maybe it is simply a preference in style of delivery. 3968 at around 745 MST. Geary has been on vacation lately, though.

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 02:22 PM

Chubasco was 745 PST on 7129 I think. Tom Papa Tango in Laguna and a guy in Mazatlan did the weather reports. I listened to that one because its the first thing I did in the AM. I tried to pick up the manana net but never found it and I didn't have info on the Sonrisa net. I will add that to my cheat sheet of Freq's. It was pretty nice to know what the wind was going to do, and they pretty much nailed it every day.

yuletide
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 10:55 PM

Right on. Cool post. Glad to hear you scored.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
satmike
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 11:15 AM

I am out at Punta San Carlos and was windsurfing and that chopper flew right over my head then circled around the airstrip then left. That morning a large military ship went by and later a aprox. 50' modern pt type boat came by a couple of times. Exercises or something was going on.
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 12:18 PM

What kind of vehicle is that? FJ40?
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 12:53 PM

Tundra

yuletide

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.