Author: Subject: looking for some brave 4x4 souls
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Ken,

you are right, it looks like both front and rear wheels are slipping at the same speed. Meaning, both front and rear lockers were indeed on.
However, the fact that they were slipping indicates something was not right. Too much air in the tires and/or too much speed.
Both are very common.

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Ken,

you are right, it looks like both front and rear wheels are slipping at the same speed. Meaning, both front and rear lockers were indeed on.
However, the fact that they were slipping indicates something was not right. Too much air in the tires and/or too much speed.
Both are very common.

The tire pressure was perhaps 20# p.s.i.

This section of trail was a bear. I also had both front and rear axles locked, and it took me a few tries. My tire pressure was about 12 p.s.i.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 09:18 PM

20 psi is way too much for those small tires for this kind of challenge. 12 would be more appropriate (on a 35" tire). On those small stock tires I would have chosen 8-10.
On extremely steep climbs like the one one depicted, it is a good idea to deflate the front tires to about 50% of the rear pressure. Like 12/6 for rear/front. Reason is that the change of center of gravity lightens the front dramatically (severe loss of traction with equal tire pressure)

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 09:53 PM

Brad's tires were LT305r16's (33") in size. My front tires (33") spun and barked on the smooth rock face because there was very little weight on the frontend. I will remember this in the future.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 11:47 PM

33" tires on 16" wheels do not have a sufficient volume of air for the kind of 4-wheeling you did.
More air volume gives you a wider spectrum of psi and still maintain a tall enough sidewall to keep the rim safe.
If the brake size allows it, a 15" wheel would be better with 33" tires - 35" would be best for the weight of the TJ. But then of course you need to adjust R&P (same is true for 33" tires). If you don't, you don't have adequate torque at slow speed to climb. Momentum is almost never the solution.

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 10:09 AM

here is the trip report

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 10:20 AM

Great photos... super job of repairing those ranch roads, as the government would never do it!:light:

I see your fingers got worn down (from all those bottles of Pacifico, no doubt! :yes::O)

I would like to see a map of your route... is that possible... email if you don't want to publish it here? info*at*vivabaja.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 10:58 AM

Really excellent pictures-------you guys done good!!!! What a great trip, with great vehicles. Reminds me of the "old days" in Baja----good to see that those types of trips are still possible and being done by the intrepid few.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 11:03 AM
That is what I tell *everybody*

Quote:
33" tires on 16" wheels do not have a sufficient volume of air for the kind of 4-wheeling you did.
More air volume gives you a wider spectrum of psi and still maintain a tall enough sidewall to keep the rim safe.
If the brake size allows it, a 15" wheel would be better with 33" tires - 35" would be best for the weight of the TJ. But then of course you need to adjust R&P (same is true for 33" tires). If you don't, you don't have adequate torque at slow speed to climb. Momentum is almost never the solution.

I sold my 16" wheels and went to 15" wheels since a Load C tire is much more compliant than a Load E one for the size of this vehicle.

With the Wrangler Rubicon, a 33" Tire is fine in conjunction with 4.10 ring & pinion gearing. This has been my configuration for the past 7 years with my '03 1/2 Rubicon. We also have 4:1 low-range gearing built into our transfer cases to provide extra low-range torque. That is the benefit of the Wrangler Rubicon package over comparable 4WDs on the market today!

Great photos from 10 yrs ago, Harald! I really enjoyed these Pole Line photos you published long ago...
http://www.baja101.com/104/32.html

[Edited on 2-26-2011 by Ken Cooke]

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 11:41 AM

Ken,

rule of thumb for excellent climbing ability is that you have and 80:1 crawl ratio with 35" tires
75:1 crawl ratio with 33" tires
70:1 crawl ratio with 31" tires

however, if you don't air down your tires sufficiently (and most drivers don't) your crawl ratio does not help you much - it only makes your tires slip earlier.

more here

and here

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 11:59 AM
Not Bad!

Quote:
Ken,

rule of thumb for excellent climbing ability is that you have and 80:1 crawl ratio with 35" tires
75:1 crawl ratio with 33" tires

Here are some specs on my "Baja Jeeper"
Type: 5-speed manual overdrive
Model: NVG 3550
Ratios: First: 4.04:1; Second: 2.33:1; Third: 1.38:1; Fourth: 1.00:1; Fifth: 0.78; Reverse: 3.57:1
Transfer Case
Type: 2-speed, part-time
Model: NVG 241J
Low-Range Ratio: 4.0:1

Crawl Ratio = 4.04:1x4.0:1x4.10:1
Crawl Ratio = 66.256:1

Driving the Pole Line Road, 2007 :bounce:

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 12:11 PM

Ken,

get 4.88:1 diff gears and 35" tires and you will have the biggest grin on your face - all day long. The difference is stunning.

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Ken,

get 4.88:1 diff gears and 35" tires and you will have the biggest grin on your face - all day long. The difference is stunning.

That is the plan I have at the moment. My 33" tires are reaching their extent of their usefulness and I have been contemplating this upgrade for a few years.

I plan on running the Goodyear MTR/K tires as well.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 12:24 PM

I have run MTR and BFG KM2 parallel on several of my vehicles.
Traction and noise are equal. At frequent low pressures the MTR last 2 years less than the BFG (the MTR fail structurally with 40% tread still left).
And no, I am not sponsored - I buy my own tires.

Harald Pietschmann
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 07:53 AM

4X4

Very nice photo essay. Please do post the route so every other wannabe off roader with a mall crawler can enjoy the outbacks of Baja.

Stihl and Tru-Temper "Don't off road without them"
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 08:06 AM

sorry to disappoint you guys - I will not publish the route. Part of any adventure is the search and locating of hidden treasures. If you set your mind to it you will find "This Old Road".
BCS, 55 miles east-west, what more would you need. I'll offer a bottle of the best Don Julio for the first one who brings proof (GPS track) of traveling the entire route (Pacific to Sea of Cortez).

If you only travel to take the same pictures you have already seen in a travel guide, you are missing most of the fun away from home.

Be your own Columbus!

[Edited on 2-27-2011 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.