Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Our Preferred Ensenada Restaurants
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-29-2011 at 05:41 PM

Thanks Bajaguy and nomads!!Now I am really excited for this dining affair!!:bounce:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2011 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Fish and Chips and a "GOOD" Burger in Ensenada? I'm there. Thanks!

Hey Dan....do you remember Cha Cha Burgers on the Costero where the Navy Base is now? It was around 25 years ago.
She had by today's standards a really lousy Burger, but it was the best in town. After doing a shift at Casita De Palo, a couple of those gut-bombs really tasted good....one to eat and one to spill on the floor.
Thems was the days. :biggrin:

Wasn't that just about the only paved road? Or am I thinking back even earlier to the 70's?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Wasn't that just about the only paved road? Or am I thinking back even earlier to the 70's?

No....you had to get quite a ways out of town to find a dirt road then although the Costero Blvd. did end right there and took a left up to HWY 1. Now it goes along the beach for another mile or two. Eventually, after they relocate the military bases, it will go as far as Estero Beach.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

No....you had to get quite a ways out of town to find a dirt road then although the Costero Blvd. did end right there and took a left up to HWY 1. Now it goes along the beach for another mile or two. Eventually, after they relocate the military bases, it will go as far as Estero Beach.

Folks I know (in the know) keep telling me there is a map showing that road to Estero Beach, then making a slight jaunt inland and then continuing further down along the coastline...

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 07:39 PM

Went to Icarus tonight and it was GREAT!

Will continue to go back, often.

Thanks
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Fish and Chips and a "GOOD" Burger in Ensenada? I'm there. Thanks!

Hey Dan....do you remember Cha Cha Burgers on the Costero where the Navy Base is now? It was around 25 years ago.
She had by today's standards a really lousy Burger, but it was the best in town. After doing a shift at Casita De Palo, a couple of those gut-bombs really tasted good....one to eat and one to spill on the floor.
Thems was the days. :biggrin:

I do remember Cha Cha and your right, it was the only place around for a burger. Many moons ago...

[Edited on 10/11/2010 by lizard lips]
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 08:41 AM

bajabound.....great review and directions...best reading here in the foodie section. Wow......you need to do a website with reviews such as the one above....

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Some of our favorite Ensenada restaurants –

Also owned by Chef Benito Molina, Muelle 3 is more casual but the food is excellent and the staff charming. Beer and wine. If you don’t see what you want, ASK! Manager is David Martinez (his brother, Javi, owns Boules) and he also speaks English (and is also an accomplished pianist!) The place is small, but we got 22 people in there once! All fish and seafood as fresh as can be. Definitely make advance arrangements with David. muelletres@gmail.com

You were soooo right! Thank you thank you thank you so much for helping with the arrangements. As others had pointed out, we filled the place. How nice of them to stay open for our private party. Absolutely outstanding food, great setting, excellent service!

Barbarosa
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 3-2-2011 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
walk straight out to the malecon. There you will find Muelle 3. This one ranks in our top 3.

Also owned by Chef Benito Molina, Muelle 3 is more casual but the food is excellent and the staff charming. Beer and wine.

As previously noted, it certainly was excellent. Thanks again for the recommendation and for the assistance with the arrangements.

I would make one comment tho about the wine. For my tastes, all the decent wines are dry, and I could not find a dry wine in the lot. Seems like they need to expand their wine list.

Barbarosa
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 03:34 PM
Questions from Chowhound

" Hmmm, lots of places here i've not heard of. I do know and love barra azul and manzanilla, havent been able to try muelle tres cause they are always closed when i try. I've heard of viento but havent been. I will be going to laja on one of my upcoming trips. So...for a real foodie and chef, which of these places should i really try to get to of the following...(Boules, Belio, Viento, Gazuza, El sarmiento, La casa del Arte)"

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 05:34 PM

Jan --- Muelle Tres is open Wed-Sun, 12:00 - 6:00. In the summer they are open until 8:00.

Viento is not a restaurant...but a location. The 2 restaurants there are Gazuza and El Sarmiento.

I would skip eating at Belio, maybe have a drink on their patio and watch the sunset, but the food is inconsistent. But the place is beautiful.

Boules has great atmosphere and the food is excellent. I would put that on the "must try" list for a foodie, along with El Sarmiento, and Laja -- that goes without saying.

[Edited on 3-22-2011 by bajabound2005]

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 05:43 PM

I would definitely try Boules first. My wife and I went there last week and had a fantastic meal.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 07:10 PM

and, bigboy, who steered you there????

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 07:16 PM

I did. I gave them a map and GPS points. Homed them in with a two-way radio.
A job well done.
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 09:19 PM

Mrs. bigboy took me to Boules. Of course, you introduced Boules to the Ladies Who Lunch gang and as luck would have it, Mrs bigboy went along with the ladies!

I love your recommendations and have never been disappointed with any of your picks. Keep on looking for new restaurants.......yes!
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 09:21 PM

Dennis has turned me on to a few great bars but as for restaurants..?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2011 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigboy
Dennis has turned me on to a few great bars but as for restaurants..?

If they're within five hundred blocks of each other, I get credit. :biggrin:
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 11:10 AM
Belio y La Villa del Valle

My monastic lifestyle was recently interrupted by visitors seeking adventure in Ensenada.

I enjoy the food and service at Belio. On a recent visit, I asked Oscar, our host, to surprise us with several small dishes. We enjoyed a scallop/shrimp/jalapeno dish that approximated ceviche, duck enchiladas, tuna carpaccio and linguini Neptune. The linguini Neptune was more "show" than "go" for a frutti del mar dish, but the others were special. Belio Several dishes in the 120-180 pesos range and the setting on the water is beautiful. Try a weekday visit to minimize crowds and get an ideal table in or out for sunset.

Sano's provides a nice, romantic atmosphere and great tasting steaks. I eat red meat once in a while, but, for my money, I prefer more eccentric flavors. A steak, no matter how good, just doesn't thrill me.

I have yet to try Bronco's Steak House for same reason.

In the Valle de Guadalupe, check out La Villa del Valle. When space is available and you provide 24+ hour email notice to info@lavilladelvalle.com, Phil and Eileen Gregory(British) provide a memorable dining experience to non-overnight guests. Their Vena Cava wines are exceptional and are also offered in a relaxing wine tasting session. I'm a fan of their Big Blend and Cabernet.

My 85 years young mother enjoyed a recent VdV dinner including local bread and cheese, caviar, sea bass appetizer, broccoli and truffle oil soup(photo abvoe), ostrich medallions and sorbet. At $45, it's not your average taco stand, but, the service, setting, gardens and views of the valley provide good value for me. Salud.

[Edited on 4-2-2011 by bajadock]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 01:51 PM

Sano's over Bronco's anyday!!!!!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.