Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mike's Sky Ranch
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 08:18 PM
Mike's Sky Ranch

Hi. Some friends and I are towing our bikes down in late March. I have a few questions. What do we do for gas for the bikes? Do we need to bring it all in? We reserved rooms and that includes breakfast and dinner. Is lunch, drinks, and so forth available or do we need to pack it in? Do they have a bar? Thanks. I'm sure I'll think of more.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 08:44 AM

Yes they have a bar... meals served family style... I would contact them and ask about lunch and other questions.

We stopped there for a drink on a drive from San Quintin across to San Felipe... photos and road log here: http://vivabaja.com/905

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 11:06 AM

With the room you get breakfast and dinner as DK said family style. Everybody get the same thing and if there any left seconds are available. You need to bring your own gas in. If you bring something for lunch the kitchen will heat it for you. Lots of good drinks in the bar. The rooms have a kerosene heater but I've never used it. It does get cold up there especially at night this time of year until mid-late June.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Hi. Some friends and I are towing our bikes down in late March. I have a few questions. What do we do for gas for the bikes? Do we need to bring it all in? We reserved rooms and that includes breakfast and dinner. Is lunch, drinks, and so forth available or do we need to pack it in? Do they have a bar? Thanks. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Are you towing your bikes all the way into Mike's or towing elsewhere and riding in? The reason I ask is that most people ride in and stay for a night or two. I 've stayed there a few times and they don't sell gas (to the best of my knowledge). If towing in there, I would bring several empty gas jugs and fill them once in Mexico for your bikes for when you are at Mike's. Also, a desert tank (3.2 or 4 gallon) is always good to have for Baja - sometimes it's a good distance between fuel stops. I had an IMS tank for my old XR 400. Here is a link: http://www.imsproducts.com/

As far as lunch, I'm not sure but I bet they would whip you up something if you asked. They do have a bar - it may or may not be open....Good luck and have fun!
ILikeMex
Nomad

Mood: Whishing I was there

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 05:39 PM

"Mike" will get you gas if you request it when you reserve your room.
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico I would bring several empty gas jugs and fill them once in Mexico for your bikes for when you are at Mike's.

This is important as Mexico frown upon bring in "Foriegn gas." Especially if there is a lot of it.
karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 12:58 PM

Mexico,as a country,is a net importer of gasoline-ironic huh?

I have a 6.1 gallon tank on my bike for that 200+ mile stretch w/o any "official" Pemex stations.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 01:26 PM

and I thoght that It never got warm UP, their..
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 08:01 AM

You might want to consider towing the bikes to Hacienda Santa Veronica, it was a bullfighting school that's now a "resort". They have rooms, restaurant, bar and you can leave your rig there for $5 per day. HSV is 20-25 east of Tecate near El Hongo. It's on the AAA map and in the Baja Almanac. It's a good days ride to Mike's, you can get gas from jugs at El Compadre's. There are Pemex stations in Ojos Negros and Valle de la Trinidad, gas is also available in Heroes de la Independencia. There are several ways to get to Mike's, try to go by Laguna Hanson. From Valle T you can get to Mike's the back way or take the Highway to Mike's driveway, there's also gas a little past the driveway in San Matias.

As far as I know Mike's bar is only open Friday and Saturday nights.

Have a good trip.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 07:26 PM

You can leave your trailer near San Matias, there are a few places that will store it for you, and then take your truck up to Mikes. That way you can haul your gas and leave the truck parked up there while you explore the area. Only problem is that someone has to leave their bike in the truck and not ride "up" to Mikes. If you have an extra driver you eliminate that problem, but if he sits around Mike's all day while you are riding he might drink all your beer!

The bar is only open Friday-Saturday, sometimes Thursdays. You can almost always buy beers, just no mixed drinks or shots.:yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.