Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Antojitos "Mi Ranchito" in Primo Tapia
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 04:09 PM
Antojitos "Mi Ranchito" in Primo Tapia

This little gem is hidden away at the end of one of the anonymous concrete-faced storefronts on the west side of the main highway through town.

The glass front door opens into a impeccably clean, small-sized dining area which expands to two other dining rooms, on different levels, ending up at the back where there is an open kitchen.

The decor is a mix of personal and functional; there is a giant-sized fire extinguisher on the wall next to the anonymous framed pictures of pastures and other landscapes. Flimsy tables and chairs of unknown plastic origin populate the spaces. Two racks hold newspapers and magazines in Spanish and English left by customers.

But there is care evident in the placement of tableclothes (plastic) on the tables, the silverware is wrapped in a napkin and the napkin holder on the table is a small, two-handled Mexican clay pot with a decorative design.

And the food, yes, the food! A basket of very thin corn chips, fresh from the fryer, along with a cup of fierce, red salsa de arbol is delivered while you go through the menu.

The most expensive item on the menu is a shrimp dinner, prepared as you like it ("al gusto"), $75 pesos (apx. $7.00 US). We have tried the diabla style and it is the best I have ever encountered; well-balanced with the creamy and spicy and not "drowned".

The growling gourmet loves the omelettes; today he had mushrooms, onions, chorizo (hold the nopales), topped with cheese; it came rolled and perfectly cooked with no burned egg protein, This was accompanied by fresh fried potato wedges and rice (I think) plus a big basket of steaming-hot (Ouch!) tortillas. That was about $45 pesos (apx. $4.00 US).

They offer familiar Mexican staples - Tacos (fish and meat), and burritos, but there are some intriguing other items on the menu - sopes, gorditas and enchilada in mole, for example.

There is chicken breast meal prepared a couple of ways and pork ribs in barbacoa or green chile sauce, which I want to try.

But, oh my goodness, I can't get to anything else on the menu but the pescado al mojo de ajo (fish fillet in garlic butter sauce). It comes with a salad (lettuce, tomato, avocado), rice and beans. I know my meal is coming soon because I can smell the perfume of the garlic wafting from the kitchen. This feast costs $65 pesos (apx. $6.00 US).

Antojitos "Mi Ranchito"
Primo Tapia
Open 8:00 am to 8:30 pm
Closed Wednesdays

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 04:36 PM

North or south of Mi Pueblo (now closed)? North or south of Sin Lee?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 05:07 PM

Mi Puebla is closed and all signage is removed. If you walk north from that location past the empty lot fenced with "circos" (Oops, chainlink), maybe about twenty feet, and turn left into the first door that your see, that is Mi Ranchito,

Antojitos Mi Ranchito has a nice, large painted message on the building, but it is not a freestanding or lit sign, so it is very easy to sail right by it if you are in a car.

We are told that the same family that operated Mi Puebla is running Antojitos Mi Ranchito.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 06:51 AM
Same Parrot - Same Family

IMG00044-20110419-0852.jpg - 43kB

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 06:54 AM
For the Menudo loving Nomads

IMG00046-20110419-0903.jpg - 42kB

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 07:28 AM
We Had Dinner There Last Night

Beautiful pictures, Gull!

I had the Hamburgesa con Papas (Burger with Fries). 38 pesos

The Growling Gourmet had the Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (Shrimp in Garlic Butter Sauce).
75 pesos.

Both meals were utterly delicious. The burger was served with lettuce and onions on a sesame seed bun and was so large that I could only eat half of it and took the rest home with me.

We snacked on a complimentary basket of freshly-fried chips with housemade salsa and a bowl of freshly-made escabeche (pickled jalpenos, onions and carrots)

A family of five came in after us and every person at the table ordered a bowl of posole.

Someone else is going to have to review the menudo; I don't go there.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
The Gull
Super Nomad

wow.gif posted on 4-20-2011 at 06:46 PM
Breakfast

While I had breakfast there yesterday, I can vouch for the menudo being good. The ladies in the back were well known for their menudo when they had Mi Puebla. For the spread in the photo, the cost was 56 pesos including the coffee.

The chips and salsa were both warmed up and, whew, were they good.

I will go back and try some omelettes and other items.

SoCal-Bob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 08:04 PM

I ate there about two weeks ago. I was with a group of about 14 (bad idea to be in a large group; it took a hour before any of the food came out and the only other group in the restaurant was a group of 6 who came in after us).

I ordered three gordita tacos; one shredded beef, one chorizo and one carnitas.

The chorizo and shredded beef were ok. The carnitas was the absolute worst carnitas I have ever eaten. It was dry, over cooked, not seasoned at all.

My mom had the chicken enchiladas with green chile and was not impressed either. My 6-y/o son liked the french fries but was not impressed with the hamburger.

The chips and salsa were definitely good though.

Maybe they are just better at some things than others. But I would not eat there again.

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by SoCal-Bob]
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 09:48 PM

Sounds like you should stick with what you like and understand, especially if you do not know what you are talking about is the same place.

SoCal-Bob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Sounds like you should stick with what you like and understand, especially if you do not know what you are talking about is the same place.

Stick with what I like and understand? I like edible food. I understand it too. The carnitas was inedible, it was that bad.

This was the same place.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.