BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pre GPS,fish-finder and other gadgets.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 01:47 PM
Pre GPS,fish-finder and other gadgets.

How did they find that rock pile,ridge,drop-off what ever?

The real good spots were handed down in families for years but there had to be that first guy who found that spot the first time.

PaPa Fernandez promised me one day he would show me one of his rock piles when I got a boat,I could not afford to hire him or his boy for a trip,two years later with my tin boat in the water it was off we went to the promised land:lol:

Just south of the island we stopped he said this is the spot I looked around and saw nothing that would suggest anything different about this spot:?:

I had a few sierra in the boat for bait,in a matter of minutes we were hooked up,chunk baits, nothing fancy pinto,carbilla and a totutuva maybe an hour,big feed in camp that nite,the old man also told me about very large grouper made that rock pile home,really!! but that is another story later that nite I asked him how he found that spot he just smiled and told me to keep it to myself,I looked for that spot many times in the following years and found it maybe three times:lol: how did they do that?
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
How did they find that rock pile,ridge,drop-off what ever?

The real good spots were handed down in families for years but there had to be that first guy who found that spot the first time.

PaPa Fernandez promised me one day he would show me one of his rock piles when I got a boat,I could not afford to hire him or his boy for a trip,two years later with my tin boat in the water it was off we went to the promised land:lol:

Just south of the island we stopped he said this is the spot I looked around and saw nothing that would suggest anything different about this spot:?:

I had a few sierra in the boat for bait,in a matter of minutes we were hooked up,chunk baits, nothing fancy pinto,carbilla and a totutuva maybe an hour,big feed in camp that nite,the old man also told me about very large grouper made that rock pile home,really!! but that is another story later that nite I asked him how he found that spot he just smiled and told me to keep it to myself,I looked for that spot many times in the following years and found it maybe three times:lol: how did they do that?
Rob

The key is to look at the water surface texture, slicks, updrafts, rips..etc they tell the full story as to what is happening below the surface. I have a fishfinder but rarely use it anymore as I know roughly where the features are, once I get close I just watch for the signs.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 03:46 PM

The locals around here, for the most part, still don't use GPS, they find their known fishing spots by triangulating with landmarks on shore.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
The locals around here, for the most part, still don't use GPS, they find their known fishing spots by triangulating with landmarks on shore.

:yes:
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 04:34 PM

Just a thought if you didn,t know that the spot was there to began with what good would triangulating with landmarks do you? your speaking of know fishing spots.

You are fishing in a very remote area no locals around.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 04:49 PM

Well, they've been fishing around here for a couple hundred years so they've had ample time to figure it out by trial and error.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 05:02 PM

Ya I guess a couple of hundred years should be enough :lol:

But I,ve fished in many places down there where there were no locals around and had to start from scratch? both with and without a boat,I can read the beach pretty good,if there,s islands and points I do ok but everything in between so so

[Edited on 3-23-2011 by baitcast]

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 05:14 PM

I remember as a kid my dad and another friend would bring out pics that they took of the coastline trying to find a reef they had caught black sea bass at. They would find this 180 foot high spot in 300 feet of water year after year sometimes it did take a few trys.:D The good old days before GPS! when it took some know how.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 05:29 PM

Juan in BA drives me NUTZZZZ doing just that....stops the boat and says fish here...In the middle of nowhere

sold out and got out !!!
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 05:54 PM

Learning to read the water be it lake,river,stream or the big pond takes a life-time of study and it only comes to those with the well to learn to be really sucessful,the leaning curve is slow but fun for those who fish for sport for those who fish for a living its a MUST

My father could read lakes like pro,he used the shoreline as a guide,he was very good.
Rob

luckyman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 08:48 PM

i've had the pleasure of fishing with some good captains out of la ribera, and they have generally been willing to show me the 'marks' they use to triangulate known fishing hotspots....i suppose those marks were passed on over the years through families, friends, etc...pretty cool most of the guys there would prefer using that system than a gps.
the other thing that blows me away is the ability of some of those guys to spot fish or other irregularities in the water. i suppose it comes from years spent on the water, but when my buddy victor spots dorado ahead of the boat while trolling and we hook up seconds later, i'm usually left scratching my head wondering where he saw them. once i spotted a good sized dorado heading for a trolled lure from way outside the spread, and i was amazed at the speed of the blue/green streak before it crushed the lure...maybe i'm looking for something too slow usually.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.