Hi All,
This look familiar?
Moog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ59JyMUpTs
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 01:06 PM

I swear I saw the same fat guy, same clothes, fishing at Punta Arena last week!!! :lol:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 02:33 PM

Saw that very same type landing in Pescadera.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 03:21 PM

standard procedure on all east cape beaches....boy!...those guys just abuse their motors; running em dry, racing them to high revs immediately, letting them slam up as they blast up on the beach, etc...but they keep em runnin'...somehow..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 03:32 PM

Yep seen this many times... the guys in Punta Lobo almost get air going over the berm!!!

It's all in the timing...........sure glad I don't need to learn this method in Asuncion..:no:
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 03:52 PM

I heard of a gringo that tried it on a Sea-doo down in Cabo and he broke both of his legs! :no:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
I heard of a gringo that tried it on a Sea-doo down in Cabo and he broke both of his legs! :no:
I know a couple of guys that found out that it doesn't work too good with an inflatable either.
moogie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
I swear I saw the same fat guy, same clothes, fishing at Punta Arena last week!!! :lol:

I bet you did!
Moog
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 10:14 PM

We had been chasing yellowtail in Bahia de Los Angeles and ran well north of La Gringa. On the way back to the launch ramp in town I saw a red pickup following us along the beach and suddenly our Captain turned and made a beeline for shore. We made a soft landing and our Captain and the pickup driver had a brief conversation then the driver pushed us off the beach and we headed back towards La Gringa. At one of the last houses before La Gringa we made a hard left, the Captain gunned the engine, slid up the beach and the pickup driver hooked us to his trailer hitch and drug us over the dunes into a backyard full of men, all in deep conversation, in rapid fire Spanish. When one of the elders saw us sitting in the boat, shellshocked, he came over, apologized and explained that the Game Warden was at the launch ramp in town checking for boat permits.

But the best I've seen is watching Lee Moreno loading his boat back onto his trailer.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 06:46 AM

For the last 15 years or so I've beached my panga with a 55 Johnson just like in the video. For me and my boat it's the safest way for the boat, the gear the passengers and the motor. The motor simply kicks up and locks or drags a little in the soft sand. All the other ways in rough water add risks to coming in soft and can endanger the whole package. Besides once high and dry everybody can relax, have a swim before you winch the boat up on the trailer. In my case the boat stayed on the beach for 5 years -- one of the reasons I chose La Ribera to retire in was that I saw lots of boats parked on this beach, year after year and they all had motors and PROPELLERS (try that in SF, SC, lots of other Baja launch spots). The timing comes into play more with new hydrolic motors (you can disable some and set them free with just a screwdriver). You go out when it's flat, come back in four foot seas and you'll do just what I do if you can.

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by Osprey]
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:35 AM

Does anybody know if the pangueros ever flush their outboard motors with fresh water?

Up until August of 2010, I have always paid to go panga fishing and noticed that the boats are just beached and left there for use the next day. Just wondering if they ever flush them out.

The La Paz boat mechanic, Hector, who just serviced the two outboards on my boat in August, was absolutely emphatic about running the motors at least once a month to keep the gas lines and carbs from gumming up and was even more emphatic about fresh water flushing the motors after each and every use.

Just wondering.

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by MitchMan]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 11:48 AM

Mitch, I didn't flush mine. Had to change out the impellor every few years but if you use some Sea Foam once in a while, keep your oil mix exact, they will run forever (mine's an 87 and still cooking). I flush it now that I drag it back to my house. I'm really not up on new stuff (anything, I mean anything, new).
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 12:42 PM

incredible video - Les says he specifically chose la bocana because of the ease of launching boats here.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 01:18 PM

Thanks, Osprey. That makes me feel more secure. My motors are 20 years old, two stroke. I haven't used them much, the 8 hp Nissan kicker motor has never been used, the 40 hp Tohatsu, maybe used a total of 25 times max. I will now be using both much more now that the boat is in baja as of last August . I had the double sit down console swapped out for a single stand up center console. Yeah, it will get a ton of use now. I am not going to sweat the fresh water flushing so much now.
moogie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Does anybody know if the pangueros ever flush their outboard motors with fresh water?

Up until August of 2010, I have always paid to go panga fishing and noticed that the boats are just beached and left there for use the next day. Just wondering if they ever flush them out.

The La Paz boat mechanic, Hector, who just serviced the two outboards on my boat in August, was absolutely emphatic about running the motors at least once a month to keep the gas lines and carbs from gumming up and was even more emphatic about fresh water flushing the motors after each and every use.

Just wondering.

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by MitchMan]

I never saw the Pangeros take their boats anywhere. They cleaned them with sea water, covered them up, and went home.
Moog

[Edited on 4-14-2011 by moogie]

pangas.jpg - 39kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.