Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ex Loreto Mayor Boo'd out of office
Puckdrop
Nomad

Mood: Liven the dream baby !

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 08:38 AM
Ex Loreto Mayor Boo'd out of office

The new Mayor of Loreto Avils was sworn in last night. The out going mayor Yan Yee was boo'd and heckled last night with some locals calling out RAT, Rat ! This guy did nothing but rape and stole from the treasury. He is up on a number of charges and I hope that he spends a long time in the big house. Our taxes have skyrocketed and the local municipal workers have not been paid in months. The lights at night have not been turned on due to bills not being paid also. With the outcry and mood of the rally last night, let's hope that the new mayor got the message :fire:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Puckdrop
The new Mayor of Loreto Avils was sworn in last night. The out going mayor Yan Yee was boo'd and heckled last night with some locals calling out RAT, Rat ! This guy did nothing but rape and stole from the treasury. He is up on a number of charges and I hope that he spends a long time in the big house. Our taxes have skyrocketed and the local municipal workers have not been paid in months. The lights at night have not been turned on due to bills not being paid also. With the outcry and mood of the rally last night, let's hope that the new mayor got the message :fire:

not defending the guy but Yuan Yee was actually the best choice for mayor at the time when he was elected in a landslide. I agree the guy sucks and was a great disappointment but all politicos suck when not held in check by the citizens. We the citizens failed at our job. A large Canadian development in the muni had back taxes up the wazoo that was owed to the muni and went unpaid, tourism took a nosedive, the swine flu thing hit, and on and on, where was this money to come from? Yeah Yuan stole some of it but they ALL do.

The muni employees that have gone unpaid are contract employees and non union and non "planta". They are unorganized and lacking cajones because they are in fear of ever being hired again if they put up a fuss. They've been starting to do this however because some have gone unpaid 7-8 quincenas. My brother in law is one of them. I told him to get with his compaņeros and surround Yuan's house and keep him inside his compoundho ld him responsible. Those workers have friends and family and neighbors who will support them, they just need to grow some huevos and do it. I told him all he has to do is call and I'll be there right there with him and his compaņeros. One thing I liked hearing from him was that he says these unpaid workers will put immediate pressure on Aviles because he's been saying all along "he's here to help the people"...I like that moxie, hold him to his word, we the citizens are watching.

So your taxes went up? How much are you paying? I hear from folks living in luxurious homes that their approximate 2000 peso per year taxes went up about 5 fold (to about 10,000 per year). And some are paying about 200 pesos a month for water. Unfortunately the marginalized throughout town living on the outskirts are paying much, much more and get hit up regularly for mordida than you and that is a huge chunk of their total income. There's no help for them.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 10:50 AM

it's the same story all over baja sur in every municipality regarding the town workers not being paid...cops, garbage men etc. nor are the electricity bills paid, phone etc.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:

not defending the guy but Yuan Yee was actually the best choice for mayor at the time when he was elected in a landslide. I agree the guy sucks and was a great disappointment but all politicos suck when not held in check by the citizens. We the citizens failed at our job. A large Canadian development in the muni had back taxes up the wazoo that was owed to the muni and went unpaid, tourism took a nosedive, the swine flu thing hit, and on and on, where was this money to come from? Yeah Yuan stole some of it but they ALL do.

The muni employees that have gone unpaid are contract employees and non union and non "planta". They are unorganized and lacking cajones because they are in fear of ever being hired again if they put up a fuss. They've been starting to do this however because some have gone unpaid 7-8 quincenas. My brother in law is one of them. I told him to get with his compaņeros and surround Yuan's house and keep him inside his compoundho ld him responsible. Those workers have friends and family and neighbors who will support them, they just need to grow some huevos and do it. I told him all he has to do is call and I'll be there right there with him and his compaņeros. One thing I liked hearing from him was that he says these unpaid workers will put immediate pressure on Aviles because he's been saying all along "he's here to help the people"...I like that moxie, hold him to his word, we the citizens are watching.

So your taxes went up? How much are you paying? I hear from folks living in luxurious homes that their approximate 2000 peso per year taxes went up about 5 fold (to about 10,000 per year). And some are paying about 200 pesos a month for water. Unfortunately the marginalized throughout town living on the outskirts are paying much, much more and get hit up regularly for mordida than you and that is a huge chunk of their total income. There's no help for them.

contrast that to the City of San Diego where the mayor/council cut programs and services to keep on feeding the employees huge salaries and outrageous pensions. muni and county workers in California are bankrupting our local governments, and the robbing of taxpayers is being orchestrated by elected officials in cahoots with employees.

we need a mayor yaun yee with cajones to fire all of our public sector workers and withold their salaries and pensions! send that mayor up her to san diego - i will vote for him!
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 10:57 AM

Pam. We are still in touch with most of our friends in Loreto. Your being too nice from what I've been told about Senior Lee. stories I'm hearing, is he has 'removed' a large amount of money from the tills while he was in office. And since he got voted out, I guess a lot of other 'locals' knew it also.??????????
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Pam. We are still in touch with most of our friends in Loreto. Your being too nice from what I've been told about Senior Lee. stories I'm hearing, is he has 'removed' a large amount of money from the tills while he was in office. And since he got voted out, I guess a lot of other 'locals' knew it also.??????????

Who me be nice to a politico? No, I am an equal opportunity politico non-liker but many people forget only a few years back. He was actually the best choice at the time. I stand by that. However he stole money while in office...got news for you, they ALL do!
Puckdrop
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:09 AM

I concur Phil, and Pam trust me it's not about our taxes going up. Yes the actual costs are a pitons. What really got me was Yuan Yee stealing money from the treasury to build himself an air conditioned horse stable. And have his mother's street paved :o He was looking out for himself and his family only and no one else.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:12 AM

Yes they all do Pam and to see some boos and rat calling is just frustration from the people. They need to put him in jail.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Yes they all do Pam and to see some boos and rat calling is just frustration from the people. They need to put him in jail.

but they are ball-less and they won't. they only boo because there is no identity behind a boo when others are booing too. all talk, no action, same old same old.

puckdrop have you actually SEEN this air conditioned horse stable? Where IS it I would like to see it for myself, please let us all know where this is or if you just "heard" about this in a rumor.

once more, not defending the slimy politicos but rumors and talk and no action behind it all gets us exactly where we are now f-ed. we the citizens failed at our job. we got what we deserve, lets just move on and not make the same mistake.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:20 AM

I was in the plaza last night for the swearing in of the new mayor. Expecting maybe some fireworks aimed at Juan Yee. Yes, there were boos, and some people yelling epithets, but it was quite civil, all in all. I believe Juan Yee stole more than his fair share while in office. His predecessor is driving a water truck while Juan Yee has remodeled his home, bought another one or two and the rumors have him with lots more. I do not know the real story. The "chismes de pasillo" are thick.
I doubt there is an ex-pat in town who is paying more in property taxes than they were where they came from. Taxes are incredibly low here, even though they are higher than they used to be. And we are paying more for our water than the locals, apparently. I guess it is unfair. Still, I can't bring myself to complain. I have so much more than the majority of people here will ever have, just by virtue of being born in the USA. Sure I worked hard and had some luck, but down here even with hard work and good luck it is hard to achieve a "middle class" USA existence.
I am not sure Aviles will be better. Chisme has it that he was put in office by Villas Group and Homex. (Thanks Pam. My bad)I know Aviles last night said that he was abolishing the tourist office and letting the "experts" like Villas take over the job. Who really knows?
I count my lucky stars every day that I can live here, that sometimes I can help out my neighbors. I wish the best for my friends and neighbors here in Loreto. You won't hear me complain about taxes or water bills.

[Edited on 4-26-2011 by Bob and jane]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:32 AM

Comex like the paint place? No, Homex like the ones who "bought" Loreto Bay yet don't even promote it on their website. I am a vocal citizen and I am watching. I will be the gadfly on the ass of the citizens who are sleeping. I will do my best to make sure we keep our local government in check. I am only one person but there are more like this now. At this point I'm sure Jorge has a long line of citizens bending his ear, our turn (pescadores) will come, he owes us we supported and voted for him.
Puckdrop
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 4-26-2011 at 11:50 AM

Now we have awoken the silent ones, Thank you Pam for not just defending the past and look forward to correct the mistakes of the past.
Don't get me wrong, I love living in Loreto, wouldn't live anywhere else on the Baja, but there are times when you have to open your eyes and say ( that's not right):light:

[Edited on 02/16/2011 by Puckdrop]
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 06:39 AM

In the city of Bell in Los Angeles last year there was a big scandle disclosed whereby the mayor and city officials were paying themselves huge outlandish salaries and pensions. They were able to do it from the public coffers because they all acted in collusion. How does one guy, the mayor of Loreto, get access to public coffers on his own and actually disburse money out of official government bank accounts to himself with immunity? Doesn't Loreto have even the slightest internal controls and oversights?

They have a property tax billing system there in Loreto whereby they track your lots and parcel id numbers religiously. When you pay your property taxes you get a stamped receipt. Then what, they put the property tax money in a cigar box and treat it like a petty cash fund?

I got an email from them a month ago asking me if my taxes were paid. I sent them photocopies of the stamped receipts. A young lady from the tax office there said that the woman who corresponded with me for the payment of those taxes used to be her boss and is now gone. So, she is following up to verify if I had actually paid my taxes. Don't they have any accounting records and procedures that reconcile to the banking accounts that receive their property tax payments? What the hell am I supposed to do, go there in person when paying taxes? I can't trust them when I pay by depositing into the bank account they tell me to?

The level of incompetence, vertically and horizontally, is absolutely amazing to me. I got chastized recently on a post that I made on this forum where I criticized the Mexican people. I sort of apologized, then somehting like this happens. I hereby take back my semi-apology.
jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
In the city of Bell in Los Angeles last year there was a big scandle disclosed whereby the mayor and city officials were paying themselves huge outlandish salaries and pensions. They were able to do it from the public coffers because they all acted in collusion.

In the case of Bell, all but one of the people were Mexicans, born in Mexico. In the US there are pockets of corruption, like in Chicago. But in Mexico, it is institutionalized. It is the norm, whereas in the US it is the exception. The Mexican government is now investigating Yee. But, don't get your hopes up. There's little chance anything will come of it. Just some more palms will be greased and it will all go away.

When a new city administration comes in, all the department heads are appointed by the mayor, even the chief of police. So they are all beholding to him and do what he says. If Yee says, "build me a horse stable and install air conditioning," that is what they will do. No questions asked. In Mexico the people pretend to complain about corruption and the government pretends to investigate it.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 09:46 AM

You know, I can understand corruption in great big cities and states and even countries in that a single or a few good citizens who care can't really stem the tide of corruption. But, Loreto? It only has about 14,000 people! How can corruption be at the same level as a big city? It just has to be systemic by way of a lack of cultural values. Please, somebody, talk me out of this.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:

contrast that to the City of San Diego where the mayor/council cut programs and services to keep on feeding the employees huge salaries and outrageous pensions. muni and county workers in California are bankrupting our local governments, and the robbing of taxpayers is being orchestrated by elected officials in cahoots with employees.

we need a mayor yaun yee with cajones to fire all of our public sector workers and withold their salaries and pensions! send that mayor up her to san diego - i will vote for him!

Goat sometimes .... well, I'll just say you get very close to real solutions ... as don't think there has been a significant up tick in jobs for the "private sector" to date... who's going to pay? ......

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Jeez goat
Nobody complains when the economy is going good about public employees and their small salaries (compared to private sector) but now that you are out of work lets attack the public sector. My Agency has not had a raise in 4 years and cut total employees 20%.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.