Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Adventure part 2 - after the NORRA 1000
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 02:05 PM
Baja Adventure part 2 - after the NORRA 1000

Our trip continues, after the NORRA 1000 – part 2 - with this image from Coco's Corner.

Part 1 discussed our excitement with the NORRA 1000 vintage vehicle race, and then it was on to find our own excitements.

The goal was the B & B Shari and Juan operate at Bahia Asuncion.

One of the goof ups we made was not to inquire of Shari just where their home, and our guest suite was – exactly.

Actually I ought to have said it was a mistake "I" made and not to imply any oversight on my wife's part. But what is written is written.

So, arriving at Asuncion, we made ourselves at home on the patio of a place we thought may be it. An hour passed and no Shari – so we figured they were out fishing or…??

You see, this is the sign we (I once again) saw and figured ah ha, that was easy!

Nope, wrong guess! In fact, we had landed at the wrong house, and before too long Shari drives up, alerted by a neighbor, and she drove back, with us in tow – checking her rear view mirror several times to be certain we were still following. Rounding a curve we spotted our very own casa (for two days) Blowhole B&B. There are simply majestic views from any angle. Check out her website http://bajabnb.com/php/
for other views of this casa – you will be as pleased as we were with what Shari and Juan have built along the shoreline.

Sitting on the deck overlooking the sea brings new meaning to the phrase happy hour. And more than happy we were to create more memories to add to our 43 years together.

View from our deck.

Next day we drove a few miles to San Roque, a small fishing village with larger-than-life landscapes. Another home here can also be rented from Shari – more remote, more solitude, and without a doubt the clearest nighttime skies you’ve ever seen.

Beach at San Roque

It was our intent to simply rest & relax and not to get involved in the other pleasures available to guests, and as Shari writes “There is something for everyone here, a wide variety of services and activities to suit every taste and budget...so you can camp in our full service campground or stay in a variety of comfortable guest accomodations. “

Juan and Shari - wonderful, kind, thoughtful hosts

After two nights we said our farewells and were heading north. The 70 mile drive from here to the highway at Vizciano was equally spectacular in the early morning hours as it had been in the late afternoon coming in. Sunlight filtered through scattering clouds and fog lit up the breathtaking scenery of sand, sparse vegetation, and the famous Scammon’s Lagoon to our left.

South edges of Scammon's Lagoon.

Gassing up in Guerrero Negro we soon entered the checkpoint fully expecting to proudly show off our tourist cards, recently purchased through Discover Baja. I guess you might say that this was one of the only disappointments of our adventure as we were simply waved through and into Baja Norte. The road, in three or four places continues to be widened. Not into a four lane super highway but at least they seem to be adding a much wider shoulder in many places making the passing of big rigs and busses easier and safer.

It was about lunchtime when we reached the Bay of Los Angeles turnoff so we decided to eat at the diner at that highway junction.

Stay tuned for part 3.

John and Barbara M

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by John M]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 03:06 PM

Awesome trip report John... and you have mastered the photo posting part!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 09:54 PM

DRAT!!! Where's the "like" button with this software anyway???

;D

Thanks John!

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 07:12 AM

you two were delightful to have around and thanks so much for inspiring me to get busy at publishing my whale's tales and all your insghtful suggestions. We look forward to your return so you can commune with the sealions and get to know the ghosts in san roque!

here are john & barbara at happy hour!

DSC08914-1.JPG - 46kB

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 10:00 AM

Thanks, keep it coming I'm hungry for more.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 11:14 AM

Good stuff John!

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 03:39 PM

John M, every year your look older and Barbara looks younger!:yes::yes::yes:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.