BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Late - a trip report none the less. Spring Break 2011-photos added
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2011 at 10:00 PM
Late - a trip report none the less. Spring Break 2011-photos added

We admit it. We are guilty.

Last night Dern and I were reading over the Nomad board and one of us made the comment that there aren’t enough trip reports. We enjoy reading them because they help fuel our issues with Baja jonsing. Silly us, what are we talking about? We have been guilty of not posting our trips lately, so tonight we sat down and busted one out.

For those who have nothing else to do, here’s our contribution towards the cause…

Spring Break
April 21 - 30, 2011

Dern picked me up from work at 4pm on Thursday. The dogs were hanging out the window in the back seat giving the kids on the playground a show as I climbed aboard and waved good bye. We knew that our timing was going to be off, hit some pretty good traffic as we headed down south through the Santa Barbara/L.A. region.

We wanted to get as close to the border as possible that night to get a jump start on our Spring break.

We ended up staying at the Motel 6 in Carlsbad as they were the only hotel right off of the freeway that would take our dogs. We lucked out with a ground floor room with a parking space right in front of our door. We didn’t sleep very well with the dogs “boof-ing” at every noise though out the night. We were up at 5 am on our way. Carter was still holding his pee, making it over 24 hrs. so far. TMI unless you are a dog lover, I guess.

We crossed at San Ysidro. It was a total clustery mess. Every lane was being sent to Secondary. The ladies looked in the camper and asked questions about the spare tire that was back there. Dern had to show them that there wasn’t a spare under the truck to prove that it was actually our spare. No biggie.

We rolled into the house in Punta Banda at 8:45 am.

Carter finally let loose of all of his bodily fluids and all was well in his world. According to our plan we hooked up a trailer, loaded up what we needed from the house, back tracked to Home Depot and bought a tinaco for Bahia and headed south from there. I waited out in the truck with the dogs while Dern went inside. (come to find out, our neighbors in Bahia were at the same Home Depot a few days later, parked in the same place we did which was right in front of the loading zone and had their camper shell broken into. They lost a couple of computers.)

12:40pm we were finally on the road south. Usually by that time we are in Catavina, so it was out of the norm for us to leave Ensenada that late in the day. We talked about staying the night and breaking in the Grandby at Rancho Santa Ynez but it was about 6ish when we were in that general area. With a bit of daylight left and plenty of Tab soda and Red Bull in our veins we decided to push on for Bahia.

By the time we hit the turn off it was dark. Something we don't do, drive at dark. Someone must have told all the cows in the desert to keep an eye out for us as there were too many welcoming cow parties being held along the road all the way into town. It made for a slow drive.

Bahia was hopping with people. After a few stops in town for beers/tacos/ etc. we landed at the trailers around 9 pm. The first thing we noticed was one of our cardons had it’s first flower. The first that we’ve seen anyway. After watching this cactus grow over 4 feet and being the proud cardon parents that we are, we had to take photos.

Saturday - We checked out the 2 sets of cement patio stairs that Ponsonia had built for us while we were away, unpacked and counted the cardon sticks that we had ordered over Christmas break. Ponsonia pulled in for coffee and donuts and ended up helping Dern install the tinaco on the roof and plumbed it to the trailer.

Sunday - Big start of the working week. We set up the chop saw and started cutting the cardon down to size for the deck railing pickets. Herman and Pablo showed up and hung out for a bit.

Herman couldn’t help himself and had to Stupervise the job and get down and dirty with it.

Pablo helped me hold down the patio.

Before they left Pablo invited us to a Thanksgiving style Easter dinner later that evening at his house.

That same day Moonie decided to test out the Mexican dog gene in her and ate a puffer fish.

She gave herself away by walking right up to us and barfing the entire fish up. Mind you, this fish was totally chewed up, fish mash, fins and bones. She continued to throw up for a couple of hours while we discussed where we would end up burying her, but as the day moved on she snapped out of it. Ponsonia said that she was a Mexican, that she would be fine and she was. She kept bringing dead/dried puffers up to the patio to give to Carter, who is kept on a horse lunge line. Bad girl. We had to keep a sharper eye on her after that.

As the day wore on we decided to switch gears and started to install the cardon on the deck. We didn’t know exactly how many pickets we would eventually need, so after we had a decent pile cut to length we hauled them up stairs and got started.

Dinner at Pablos was great.

The town had cleared out from the Spring breakers, the weather was nice in town with a touch of west wind.

Monday - the same as Sunday, plugged away at the cardon.

After eating the puffer fish Moonie decided to try her hand at munching on a freshly dead sea lion.

We called her back to the trailers and went back to work. From the deck we could see down the beach where the sea lion was and noticed two figures heading in that direction. One was definitely a coyote but the other had a different look to it. We broke out the binoculars to check it out and discovered that the other one was a Bobcat. We gave Mary Ann Humfreville a shout out on the radio to check it out as it was in front of her house, closed Moonie into the trailer and headed over to Mary Ann’s house with our camera. We were joined by a couple of other neighbors for a live Mutual of Omaha’s wild kingdom in Mary Ann’s front yard.

Later that evening we heard Moonie barking off in the distance. We got the binocs out again only to spot her down the beach facing off the Bobcat for the left overs. We ended up having to walk back down the beach to remove her from the poor bobcat’s meal so it could have it’s dessert in peace.

There was a big west wind that night.

Tuesday - We finished the cardon. The final count was 441 sticks.

We completed tying down the tinaco and finished up some loose ends on the stairs that lead up to the deck.

Pablo drove out again to visit and Mary Ann stopped by.

Wednesday - Finished screwing in the stair supports before heading into town for Office Hours at Casa Diaz with Pablo, Slick, and friends. Another quick visit with Herman at his place before heading back to the trailer to pack up.

Thursday - UP and out of the trailers by 6am. We honked at Ponsonia who was at David’s store as we headed out of town. The Military check points are a piece of cake because all they want to do is check out Carter.

Stopped at Parcela 12 south San Quintin for breakfast/lunch.

For those who haven’t been there, it’s a family style buffet for 75 pesos each. When you walk in you head straight for the kitchen and ask what's cooking. They will show you what they have on the stove and from that you can choose what you want to have heaped onto your plate. We highly recommend this place. Extremely nice people and delicious food. It is definitely a step above your every day/ same old salty dish Mexican food. Our bill was 150 pesos for two heaping plates of goodness, fresh tortillas, soda and coffee plus a complementary desert that came with a song and dance and kiss for the cook.

We took a field trip when we got to Camalu to check out the beach as we have often wondered about that spot as friends of ours from Punta Banda fish from out there.

Another military stop at the vineyard/ make that Carter check stop. Dern gets out to open the camper for the one guy who has to climb in and try to open the tricky drawers under the sink while the rest of the crew crowd around the back door passenger window and love all over the dogs.

El Recreo in Maneadero for tacos before pulling into the driveway in Punta Banda at 3pm.

Friday - We put everything away, loafed around the house, hung out with neighbors swapping stories and headed back into Maneadero for Recreo and fuel. Stopped at Calimax at the corner for Dern’s ice cream fix while I watched the Policia Estal raid the house across the street.

Saturday - Our chores were done early. We have always wanted to try “Taco’s Lupita” that is located next to the pool on the way into town so we hit it up for lunch. We will definitely go back there again. Dern noticed the cool swing at the pool and thought of the Nomad thread regarding Mexican ingenuity and how it would fit into that category. The swings are rotated by turning the differential of a car axle.

Sunday - Up and on the road by 6:15. I missed hearing the National Anthem, a major bummer for me as that is usually our routine. We took the Tecate road. Other than a few low spost of construction it was a breeze, a nice drive. We fueled up at the Circle K Tecate Pemex, $470 pesos for 512 lts.

We pulled into line at the border at 8:40am - crossed at 9:15. Went to secondary for 5 minutes. Dern had to pop the camper open briefly and we were on our way.

All in all it was a productive trip. Great weather, not hot, not your usual spring time north miserable wind. We never got the opportunity to take the paddle boards off of the truck, too much work and not enough time to play.

We’ll make up for that this summer.

More photos will be added on edit. Photobucket took a dive as I was about to finish up this post.

P>*)))>{

Random photos from the trip....

[Edited on 26-5-2011 by Paulina]

[Edited on 26-5-2011 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2011 at 11:42 PM

Awesome awesome awesome... love the bobcat on the beach pics!

Then, the axle carousel... with a hand crank in the differential!?!! Priceless!

Is that an 'open' or limited slip differential??? LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 06:35 AM

Magnificent report Paulina, loved every word and every photo. Mil gracias for taking the time to put this together for those of us living vicariously :) Were you kidding about the raid on the house across the street? Loved the cardon flower and all the doggie stuff. You guys are the best.

carpe diem!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Paulina,

I'll bet you were tempted, until you read the sign.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 06:46 AM

Super post... thanks for all the work and sharing.. those dogs .... well the pictures tell it all ... again thank you...

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 07:30 AM

Thanks for the reviews guys, I love to read trip reports but get a little on the lazy side when it comes to writing them up myself. Yes, the swing did tempt me, but I noticed too many eyes on me to give it a whirl. Regarding the raid, at first the policia were gathered in the parking lot of the Calimax, out of their vehicles, checking their guns and chatting it up. Then they got into their cars/trucks, pulled out of the driveway and parked right in front of the house in the corner directly across the street from the market and stormed inside. You would have thought they would have been more discreet in their parking lot party if they were going for the sneak attack. Oh well.
Frank, I'd love to read KT's report. Have a good adventure down south. We'll be pulling into Bahia the end of June.

P>*)))>{

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 07:59 AM

Always love your trip reports Paulina - great pics and narrative.

Was that bobcat wet? Old? Skinny? Poor thing didn't look right.
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 08:06 AM

Enjoyed this-thanks for posting1
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 09:54 AM

Paulina, Thanks!:D
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 10:24 AM

I agree with Oladulce - that's the skinniest darn bobcat that ever I've seen.
Looks truly in need of what's left of that seal.

I enjoyed your trip, Paulina. Thank you for taking the time to share.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 10:26 AM

wonderful trip report .... and the photos tell the rest of the story - the 2 dogs sleeping in the beginning was awesome ... the bobcat was incredible ... the camper getting broken into a heads up for all of us

thanks and take more trips, please :lol:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 12:34 PM

loved your report gracias...real baja style! yeah that bobcat looked pretty mangey and unusual to see them out in the open in daylight...poor kitty. Your cardon patio looks terrific...well done.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 12:59 PM

The bobcat was pretty sad looking. I assumed it was on the older side of life as it was out in the daytime and eating something pretty nasty. It didn't put up much of a fight when Moonie tried to move back in on it's dinner. In fact it just sat there and took the barking.

P>*)))>{

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 01:17 PM

nice place you 2 have....

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:11 PM

Great report. Great trip! :dudette:
My in laws have a one eyed half deaf dog who barely survived a dead puffer meal in Baja, rushed back to states and 13k later she is the sweetest most greatful dog you will ever meet. She only eats what is in her dog bowl now and the vet got a nice vacation in the Bahamas or something.

Always double check the storage areas of your Grandby after the inspeccion, IF they figure out how to open them they will never close them. We learned the hard way after bouncing down the Gonzaga road post military stop and everything was on the floor. It did offer the oppurtunity for Barb to rearrange everything. Your puppy Carter is filling out nicely!:o He needs to meet SumoSan someday.

Casa P y D looks fabulous!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

...Always double check the storage areas of your Grandby after the inspeccion, IF they figure out how to open them they will never close them....

At the last inspection we endured the guy took hold of the drawer and ripped it open. Ripped it. He pulled it so hard that it took the knobby right off of the bottom of the drawer.

One would think that the guys probably encounter many different types of drawers/cabinets/pulls, etc. that they would have a clue on how to do the little jig upwards to open them...:?:

Carter and SumoSan would be the best of buddies, Carter is so gentle. Moonie Moonerton is another story.

>*)))>{

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 11:10 PM

When you figure out how to fix the knobby thing please let me know. Mine's busted as well. I've been using bungee cords. It keeps the silverware from spilling out on to the floor.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2011 at 11:43 AM

P- we have had a few heavy handed guys looking for AK 47's in the utensil drawer. No knobs torn off , yet. :dudette: Meanwhile the kayaks go unsearched. :biggrin:
Look forward to meeting Moonie.

Skipjack Joe - Viva Bungee's! :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 10:57 AM

Paulina, it looks great and trailer life can be fun when you have the covering on top of trailer with obervation deck on top. I have a 37 foot, three slide out, fully contained with washer & dryer with plans to do what you did but changed my mind. I can't do all the maintance I like to do on the 5th wheel like I use to and by ocean water I would want to do every other day things to keep it up. Still you guys have a very nice setup, hope you get all the enjoyment possible and then some out of it,LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 11:40 AM

Paulina,
Always good to see your posts, but where are the pictures of you? Preferably with a kayak wrapped around you! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.