BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shell Island (after Memorial madness)
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 09:06 AM
Shell Island (after Memorial madness)

Dave, sorry I missed u all. Came down the following Wed ( I avoid the holidays like the plague) for 5 days to shut down house for the summer and to go fishing. Fishing was a zip, but June is never really good as water is too warm. You all need to stay an extra day or 2 and avoid the border nightmare! 3 hours! Came back last Sunday at 6PM and the Calexico border (east) was 55 min. Not bad for a Sunday. Shell Island (aka Corvina Point to the locals) was deserted. Very nice! Just need a good blow to erase all the tire marks from the crowds along awith all the trash/bottles/cans I saw along the beach. See u all in the fall!

Seal that just died. Looked still alive! Luckily the tides were pushing it north!

Black Oystercatcher eggs at south end of beach. People really should only drive on the high tide marks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 09:33 PM

Hi Chris,

Other than the fishermen's campo near the road onto the island, nobody but us camping on the island all of Memorial Day weekend. A group of gringos were at the beach in front of the road one day, just for the day.

Lot's of plastic bottles drifting down from Percebu or perhaps San Felipe, compared to other trips. Percebu was busy it seemed, a dramatic increase from 4th of July last year when it was nearly deserted. Do people actually think 90º is too hot for the desert, when there is an ocean to jump into (with 90º water then)?? LOL

It is far from hot until August... In fact, this was the coolest Memorial Day I have experienced there (77º). Too bad the netting has decimated the surf fishing... Corbinas love the summer/ fall ... or used to. Just need some bait for them...

We will be back in July... and more if we can! We love the warm water... the world's biggest hot tub day and night!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 10:21 PM
yes

Ah ...the reality!

Corvina 2011.JPG - 37kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 10:27 PM

Hi Vern! Soon I will have the details ready to share of our NEXT 'lost' seach! Do you have the courage to accept the challenge? :wow::cool::lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 04:14 AM

We'll be down for the 4th of July Weekend. Are you camping on the Island again?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
We'll be down for the 4th of July Weekend. Are you camping on the Island again?

Me? Yes!

18 ft. high tides on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (afternoon), which is great and means maybe some mud/ water to drive through is all.

[Edited on 6-8-2011 by David K]

viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 08:05 AM

Yes, this has been a rather cool spring, both in Baja and in the high desert (Joshua Tree). It's been windy up here. Hope u & Chuck have a pleasant 4th. Great time to launch the waverunners and go wakeboarding! I did talk to Jorge Lopez and he did say the family had a good business over Memorial which was great.
Borregoman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Chris,

Other than the fishermen's campo near the road onto the island, nobody but us camping on the island all of Memorial Day weekend. A group of gringos were at the beach in front of the road one day, just for the day.

Lot's of plastic bottles drifting down from Percebu or perhaps San Felipe, compared to other trips. Percebu was busy it seemed, a dramatic increase from 4th of July last year when it was nearly deserted. Do people actually think 90º is too hot for the desert, when there is an ocean to jump into (with 90º water then)?? LOL

It is far from hot until August... In fact, this was the coolest Memorial Day I have experienced there (77º). Too bad the netting has decimated the surf fishing... Corbinas love the summer/ fall ... or used to. Just need some bait for them...

We will be back in July... and more if we can! We love the warm water... the world's biggest hot tub day and night!
Borregoman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 07:36 AM

Trash is always a problem on our south campos beaches, whenever I take a walk I ALWAYS bring a trash bag with me and PU as I walk the beach. It only takes a few trips to make the beach so much safer for both people and animals.
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 09:38 AM
No Basura, por favor...

Thank you Borregoman, I too have this habit (collecting trash in a plastic bag I carry with me) and conside it a BMP (best management practice), for safely enjoying the beauty of a place. Thanks again for picking up the trash!
Regards, Vern

Quote:
Originally posted by Borregoman
Trash is always a problem on our south campos beaches, whenever I take a walk I ALWAYS bring a trash bag with me and PU as I walk the beach. It only takes a few trips to make the beach so much safer for both people and animals.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.