Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another knot question
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 12:18 PM
Another knot question

Last December I was fishing a medium action spinning outfit at Tecolote from the beach when the water started to churn with baitfish, using a 1oz silver castmaster I hooked up with a couple of 4-5 lb skipjacks (maybe bonita I always have a hard time remembering how to tell the differance) and a few nice Sierras, needless to say I was having a ball.
Then WHACK! the 20lb line started screaming off the reel and there was nothing I could do to stop it, I was pretty sure I was tangling with a pretty big rooster, heavy bull like pull as I was watching my line disapear, this was not good! I started to run through the waist deep water trying to follow the fish as the line kept paying out I couldn't stop the fish I was applying as much hand pressure to the spool as I could to help the drag but I was losing the battle, then the fish stopped! I kept moving towards the fish and I managed to get a little line back and just as I was feeling a little better the freight train started leaving the station and once again the line on the spool was disappearing, the fish stopped again and I quickly glanced at the spool and there was only a couple wraps left to bare metal, OH NO! I clamped down tight against the spool with my hand because I started to worry about the miserable knot I use to tie my line to the spool and I new if it got there I would watch the end of the line slip through the eyes and disappear into the water with my lure and fish. Well it didn't quite work that way the line broke somewhere above the knot probably from abraison on the rocks during the fight but needless to say I didn't even get to glimpse my trophy, however it was one of those great fishing moments we all want to have where the fish is REALLY testing the limits of your gear, I would have let him go anyway but I would have liked a photo, oh well it was fun!
Back to my question- Anybody have a good recommendation for the knot used to tie the line to the spool? I use one I made up (pretty sure it sucks) and you never really hear this knot being talked about but in certain instances that knot could be critical, ideas?:yes:

Live Indubiously!
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 01:03 PM
Arbor knot

Google "Arbor Knot".
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 05:49 PM

Any kind of slip to snug knot would work. I like the uni knot but also use the trilene knot as well.
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 07:15 PM

I have always tied the arbor knot but I have never been in a situation like you describe to test the knot. That is a good and bad experience I guess.

bajajurel
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 08:34 PM

At that stage it doesn't matter much. I like a uni or SD jam. But I don't think it really makes much difference if the only thing keeping the line on the reel is the knot. Say "SEE YA" to that fish.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2011 at 07:03 PM

Skipjack stripes stop mid way down the body - bonita stripes go the length of the body - "skippies skip stripes "- throw the skipjack back - bleed the bonita and enjoy - smoked of grilled
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2011 at 10:25 AM

I've caught a lot of bonita in Southen California waters over the years. For the most part, bonita looked and tasted similar to the common mackerel. Not that great. Then I took a party boat once out of Dana Point, CA that was skippered by a full time cop, and part time skipper. The cop announced on the loud speaker that "bonita were great tasting". I felt otherwise.

When the first bonita was caught, the skipper fileted it while live, took the filets to the galley, immediately grilled it in butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulled it off the grill as soon as it turned white. He walked around the boat giving us anglers a taste of this white meat that was perfectly cooked. It was delicious.

Usually, when I caught bonita on a party boat, you don't get to gut it until one to three hours later, after the fish festers in a gunny sack for hours. Big difference when you clean and bleed a bonita right away after catching it, and then delicately sautee it over a medium to low heat grill for just the right amount of time. Lesson learned.

Caught a skip jack last May in La Paz (Los Muertos). Meat was terrible. Fed it to a cat and put the rest in the ground at the base of my Mango, Orange, and Lime trees as fertilizer. Mangos will be ready to pick in mid August to mid September...hope they don't smell like Skipjack.

[Edited on 7-25-2011 by MitchMan]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-25-2011 at 10:34 AM

knot that works...

palomar.gif - 5kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2011 at 11:07 AM

This is a great knot, and easy to tie. With imagination, it can be used in many applications. When finished, it becomes a bowline on a bight but usually is called a palomar knot, I think

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2011 at 11:25 AM

Here is a link to a fun site about tying knots - it's pretty self explanatory. Jim

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage=Lo...
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2011 at 07:55 PM

Everyone missed your question, I think, as you are asking what knot to use to tie the line to the spool. As with all spectra knots, the biggest problem is that they slip, so all the normal knots will not work when you go around a big spool. The most effective knot in that situation is to tie a bimini knot (12 turn knot is the strongest) and then you do a loop twice around the spool. I have had big billfish take me right down to the the spool and I was able to save the fish and a lot of line by using that knot. Another good trick is to use a little paste wax on the spool before tying on your spectra and you should never have to worry about corrosion on the spool.

EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 7-26-2011 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
T it becomes a bowline on a bight but usually is called a palomar knot, I think

Yep, Palomar Knot, what I use for hooks most of the time.

EdZ KG6UTS

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.