Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toyota and Jeep rebuild for Baja thread
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 07:37 PM
Toyota and Jeep rebuild for Baja thread

November will be here soon, and that means, REBUILD FOR BAJA!

Avi has a "LAND CRUISER" and I of course, have a Jeep - both vehicles will be receiving attention over the next 3 weeks in order that they will be ready for the 1942 Baja Pole Line Road.

Mike's Rubicon has been recently built-up, so will not be included in this thread.LOL

My baby is leaking Transmission fluid, shock fluid (out of its' non-rebuildable MONOTUBE MX-6 shocks), needs an oil change, new bushings in its' TERA-FLEX swaybar link, Climate Control knobs - 2 are BENT/TWISTED.LOL

Avi's Land Cruiser has BALD TIRES, BLOWN shocks, and for the price, would rather replace these items than spend the same $$ on a 1 week rental for Baja.

This is going to be an interesting thread with lots of new stuff being shipped back and forth in order to raise funds for BAJA. So, please stay tuned....:!:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 07:44 PM
FOR SALE

To kick start the project - I am selling a few items...no, LIMITED-EDITION ITEMS.

1 of 1,005 Lara Croft Tomb Raider-Edition front bumper

MOPAR LARA CROFT-EDITION ROCKER PROTECTORS

Mopar Jeep Steps - I never used them, because they wouldn't install on my frame rails. Boo hoo...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-23-2011 at 07:59 PM
Toyotas and Jeeps -- Scenes from 12/2007

This is not exactly an "Easy Dirt Trail". This is the real deal. :!:

'Living Large'! Me posing next to Victor and his XXL LJ Rubicon on 35's!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 10:06 AM

Ken, I did the Mojave Rd last weekend with John Marnell and his neighbor was with us and he wants to do the Pole Line Road with you. He has a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I told him he would love it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken, I did the Mojave Rd last weekend with John Marnell and his neighbor was with us and he wants to do the Pole Line Road with you. He has a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I told him he would love it.

TW----------did I miss a "report" on NOMADS for the MOJAVE ROAD adventure??? How did it go?

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
To kick start the project - I am selling a few items...no, LIMITED-EDITION ITEMS.

1 of 1,005 Lara Croft Tomb Raider-Edition front bumper

I thought Lara Croft had great boobs and animal sex appeal. That Lara Croft bumper doesn't look very sexy or curvy :(
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

It is a great trail. I am thankful that Neal Johns introduced that trail to me via the Discover Baja Newsletter in 2000. The link at the bottom of my postings takes ppl to my Facebook group where they can sign up.

byoungquist
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 06:50 PM

I tow this behind my Land Cuiser for insurance or tight squeezes...it's been bulletproof forten years.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 05:43 AM

I'm bummed, but the driver and his friend with the Land Cruiser backed out of the run. It looks like 2 Rubicons will run this trail in November.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

TW----------did I miss a "report" on NOMADS for the MOJAVE ROAD adventure??? How did it go?

Barry

It went great. Lots of side trips to Indian Paintings and mines etc. I thought John would do a trip report, if not I may.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'm bummed, but the driver and his friend with the Land Cruiser backed out of the run. It looks like 2 Rubicons will run this trail in November.

I would go if I could Ken... and I always bring by tow strap!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 04:28 PM
I did the same dumb thing...

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

I would go if I could Ken... and I always bring by tow strap!

Why did you pull this 5000 lb pickup truck up this steep hill? Why did the driver take his investment down this steep hill in the first place? It doesn't make sense. I could have destroyed my Jeep by pulling another Jeep up the Mission Impossible Trail - WITH HIS BRAKES ON, but when you have another driver YELLING AT YOU, it seems logical...for the first 10 minutes. Hopefully, you weren't in a high-stress situation, and this was all in fun, David. But, the outcome could have turned $$EXPENSIVE$$.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:36 PM

Ken, we were a group of 12 Tacomas on a run... We did not go down the Diablo Dropoff, we went UP it. Of the 12 Tacomas, only 3 were 2WD and only that one didn't make it all the way (you should have seen what he did do up to that point, however). He did not have the TRD Off Road package, so no rear locking differential. Also, he was a real young guy, maybe 18...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:56 PM

Ken the photos and many video clips of the run starts here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/southern-california/182020-...

Here is a video of some of the Tacomas at the lower part of Diablo Dropoff:

[Edited on 10-26-2011 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 04:11 PM

I am amazed - After seeing people roll their Jeeps down the Diablo Dropoff, pulling a vehicle up that same area must have been impressive. Muchos Kudos, Amigo. :yes:

I am not sure about the success of my short wheelbase vehicle in the same area, but I plan on running a more aggressive tire next year to counter the minuses that my wheelbase presents.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 04:16 PM
Diablo Dropoff

I drove my Jeep up and down that section several times. I don't know how a 2WD made it out, but it can be very loose and difficult to navigate. Good work, again.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 05:37 PM

Well, everyone becomes impressed with the Tacoma after expeiencing what they are able to do... There is a real reason as to why they are #1. Plus, Neal Johns won't steer us wrong!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 07:46 PM

Back to topic - The Toyota Land Cruiser backed out of the run, but will probably watch the Baja 1000 in San Felipe and drive along dirt roads that won't damage running boards, new All-Terrain sidewalls, etc.

My new set of Superlift Shocks come in the post tomorrow. As will the climate control knobs (2 broken) and I can finally install the shock absorber bar pin eliminators.

--Stay Tuned--

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.