Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beach Fishing in November
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

question.gif posted on 11-5-2011 at 05:28 AM
Beach Fishing in November

I need my Baja fix! I am thinking about doing a beach camping trip around thanksgiving. This would be the first time doing this type of Baja journey and wanted a little input. Where are good places to go that I could catch a few fish from the beach at that time of year. I have always fished from pangas and other boats so also need to know what kind of tackle I would need.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 09:07 AM

Might be windy on the 'Cortez.
Tackle...you talkin casting lures or soaking bait?
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 11:12 AM

Not sure, never have really fished from the beach. Just looking to relax and let my boys run around and have fun...and dinner would be great.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 06:43 AM

how far south are you gonna go? east cape?
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 06:57 AM

The further south you go, the better the fishing will get. Check with Shari in Asuncion, the calicos and halibut from shore should be good. Maybe a little chilly though.
It has been windy the last few days here in La Paz, and will be off and on wind from now on. Probably the same all down the Cortez side. I was still getting baby roosters and jacks from the beach in January here, though not many.
Bring a kayak if possible, seems the bait getting chased is just out of casting range. Kastmasters and Krocs over here, the same, plus swimbaits on the Pac side. Maybe try McFez's salted bait on either side!!!:yes:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 07:13 AM

Winter has arrived here. The last few days have been really windy and cold. I was a bit busy after returning from the States and put off going out in the new kayak when the weather was good during thee mornings. Now hoping for a couple of November days that make Baja such a wonder.

I'm ready to Launch!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 07:19 AM

For thanksgiving, I would reccomend that you try either Asuncion or La Bocana. Both offer some really good shore fishing. There is some good shore fishing on the Sea of Cortez side but the fishing seems a little easier on the Pacific side. If you decide you are coming to the Sea of Cortez side, let me know and I can give you some very specific places where you stand a good chance of Corvina and Sierra with a few Pargo thrown in for good luck.

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 12:39 PM

As mentioned before la Bocana and Asuncion/San Roque
both offer good surf fishing. You may also want to check
out the Laguna Manuela area. There is a variety of surf
habitat within a short distance. You have the lagoon,
which is a bass nursery, then the rocks and coves as you treck north along the shore. Then finally you arrive at what has been know by some as Variety Beach. In the past
fishing for corvina, whiteseabass and large perch can be
epic. But with the pressure brought on by commercial fishing
only someone with recent experience can tell you what to expect from these areas. Some kind of 4wd vehicle is recommended because parts of the road trverse sandy
spots. See "The Baja Catch" for more details.
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2011 at 05:08 PM

Down here due west of La Paz on the Pacific, we are hauling in corvina - just put about 13kgs of fillets into the freezer. I am a pretty lousy angler, but even I couldn't miss . . .
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 06:57 PM

Thanks everyone! Just confirmed today that I have the days off so let the planning begin! I have been thinking about Ascuncion, can make it in one day but have never fished or stayed there. 4WD is not a problem, but no yak, will have my 2 boys with me. What size weights and lures do I need? I will probably stop in LA and buy a beach rod, or will my boat 6' footers work?

Dave
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 07:56 PM

just go. 7' is better, but the fish don't really care about the length of the pole...

acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 05:22 AM

Asuncion it is:yes: Now to figure out the tackle I need and how do I rig it? My boys are excited too, whether it is because I am taking them out of school for a week, they get to go to play at the beach, or they get to go fishing I dam not sure but we are gonna have a blast!!!

Dave
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 05:30 AM

Here's a So.Ca. surf fishing forum that should cover all your gear and methods that will also work well in Baja.
http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&si...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 06:01 AM

Thanks Russ!

Dave
acadist
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Here's a So.Ca. surf fishing forum that should cover all your gear and methods that will also work well in Baja.
http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&si...

Thanks Russ, a nice freindly board that has helped already

Dave

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.